The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Would you buy a sunk C-Dory?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Would you buy a sunk C-Dory? Reply with quote

From: B.Anderson (Original Message) Sent: 3/4/2003 4:53 PM
I came across a 1983 27' C-Dory inboard that had been toppled and sunk by snow load. The owners have replaced the I/O unit and motor, as well as all of the electronics, wiring, cushions, etc and have run the boat for 2 years. It sounds like they did a good job, and have done it right (mostly because they loved the boat, and they got a fat insurance check)

My concern comes from the balsa core construction of C-Dorys. Would there be lasting damage to the balsa core? If so, could a marine surveyor find the damage?

Hi, B

Sure wouldn't touch that puppy with a long stick.

Sinking under snow load?????????????????

On the other hand, sinking under neglect, with a bilge pump that doesn't work, might make some sense.

Under those circumstances, the only time you will discover the hidden damage is when you are in trouble.

Too much good stuff out there to settle for damaged goods.

One man's opinion.

Ken

How long was it down there? (on the bottom) Was it the one in Valdez? I don't think it would be an issue myself. I have noticed on a few boat projects that the wet transome was just fine and dandy. These were some 60s and 70s years to.

Can't fool an Alaskan. Yeah this is the one from Valdez. For those unacquainted with the area, Valdez gets about 300 inches of snow a year. I've seen pickup truck cabs crushed under these snow loads. If you don't shovel, it can capsize your boat. In this case the snow from the neighbor's boat dumped on the C-Dory and sunk it.

File this one under the category "yet another way to get into trouble in Alaska."

Thanks for the comeback there Anderson. I heard of a C-D 27 it seems a few years back that went down under the snow load, it's great to hear the rest of the story!... that it had help from another un-Cdory cool !~) So are you getting her? Is it a bowpicker?

Greg

No it's not the bowpicker, though it was used for mom-n-pop commercial fishing. It also has a full-sized diesel cabin heater and stove. It's got a hydraulic davit/pot-puller and a 1000 lb fish hold. I'm not much of a fisherman and I'm usually happy with a couple of silvers so it's a bit of overkill. Might make a good water taxi, though.

It's really freakin' long. The rear deck is as long as from the rear cabin door to the bow. The dory lines really show in the pix. I'll try to post a picture. I attached one to this message. We'll see if it works.

Anyone with thoughts on if the balsa core might be damaged and how I could tell?

A moisture meter will tell you for certain if there is water trapped inside. Any marine surveyor ought to have one in his pocket.

I put the 27' inboard CD photo in the CB tech General Photos page:
http://groups.msn.com/CBratsTech/generalpics.msnw?Page=Last

Man she's long!

Holy cow - I just saw the picure. Yep - it is a long fellow alright. No that's a fishing boat. It certainly looks nice on the topside. I say get it pulled out of the water and have a surveyor look it over. If he gives it the OK, and the price is right, buy it. Geez, it's long.

Wow I like her! oops... daoh!
Hey there is a fella that works at Alaska Mining and Diving that has one exactly like it. I think he is one of the managers, I told him about
C-Brats
and gave him a card, don't know if he ever signed on with us or not though, but he's a friendly fella and gave my buddy and I the tour. His has a 130 Honda on it. Looks very righteous to me! (the motor)
Thanks for sharing that. My thoughts about the self bailing deck were to remove it so it would have that nice level deep hard to fall out of cockpit on it. That's the only change I would do to it.
Mike, good advice, I didn't know there was a moister meter.
Anderson, are you in Anchorage?
Greg

Great advice on the moisture meter. Anybody know of a good marine surveyor in SCentral Alaska?

Yep, Greg dropped anchor in Anchortown. Did the guy with the similar boat rip out the inboard?

No, it looked from what I can remember, to be built for an outboard or two. He mentioned from his use of the boat that it would be a good idea to bracket the outboard to put the weight farther back to compensate for the cabin weight, with people and gear while under way in trailing seas. That might not be an ussue with a diesel inboard though, especially an In/ out.
As for a "marine surveyor " don't know

So what in TarNation is going on ? did you get it!

Greg

I have just posted a couple pictures of our 27 C-dory. It is long but with kids and a dog it suits us a lot better than our 22 Angler did.

Thanks for the pictures of your CD 27. I remember seeing it at Langley last year, and it is cool. What I remember most, is my wife seeing it! She really liked the extra room.

Thank you also for the kind offer of replacement light lenses. C-Dory folks are like that. I don't need any myself, but I am certain someone will take you up on so generous an offer. Thank you again.

Mike

Sorry for the delay Red Fox. I've been busy with another boat. I hope to have good news real soon. I ruled out the 27-footer. Just too much boat for me. Guess I'm not a real steely-eyed bluewater man yet.

Cool thanx for the answer Anderson. Is it still for sale? if so how much, check back with us soon and I look forward to the news.
Greg

Yep, looks to be on the Valdez harbormaster's list as of Feb. www.ci.valdez.ak.us/harbor/docs/boatsale.pdf

Man I'm close to closing on one!!! The wait for the bank is killing me! Can't wait 'til I'm independantly wealthy.

Oh, yeah. Right. I'm buying a hole in the water. I forget.

If all goes well, we should get a C-flotilla together in the Sound this summer. Meet in Cedar Cove or something.

Blain,

Looks like you found a nice CD, congratulations and all that good stuff. I'm really glad to see that you found one that fits your wants.

While we're on the subject, where is Cedar Cove?

Mark

Awright Blain! Yeah banks are a pain! My sister is waiting for her buyer to get it strait with the damnable bank, so her boat will sell also. I think when I sell some movies and get all fattened up' I'm going to be looking for a 'big brother' for the Red Fox and get me one of them 27s, gut it (remove that stupid self bailing deck) and put a bracketed 200 Yamaha four stroke on it. Yeah I know that's overkill for that boat, but here is my theory... it would be great to be loping around at 1/4 throttle and stay planning, plus the motor would probably last as long as the hull would! (long time)
Markster. I think Cedar cove is out in Wells area by Fairmont. Only thing is there aint much fire wood around, it's too protected back in there. Well at least for those huge ol' Injun fires I enjoy. Have chainsaw will bring it. Towing logs burns too much fuel and you can never get them on step either! Lets hope there is some dead ones close to shore;)

Let's fire up this topic at: Cruisin' : Alaska C-Brats =O
http://groups.msn.com/CBratsOnline/cruisin.msnw?action=get_message&mview=0&ID_Message=1256&LastModified=4675421782864796827

Get the old link going again.

B.Anderson

Well I'll take a shot. I would buy a sunk C-Dory,especially if the price was right. Heck it doesn't matter if it was sunk on or off the water to me.
Jim

Right on Jim! and thanx again Blain:)

By the way RF, your projects look excellent!!
Jim

Red Fox - We have a 27 C-Dory and are in the process of repowering it. We plan to put on a bracketed 225 Honda. We agree that it is better to run it at less than full out it will last longer. We don't think our self bailing cock pit is "stupid". Everyone has different uses and needs. We all have great boats.

Thanx Jim, I could not be more pleased with it to, even if all those poly resin fumes took a couple years off my life

Puget sounder.
You have my dream boat other than that self bailing deck what you say is true I realize, but what I say is true for me. Wow a bracketed 225 Honda, what more could ya want !! One feature I like about the big Honda is the alternator! it's external belt driven? meaning you can run deep cycle batterys?

Hey another thing. The old C-Dorys are the good C-Dorys.
Greg

By the way, wher'd Blain go??

I'm on to 22-footers now. Thought I'd leave this to the big toys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: