The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruiser vs Angler
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Cruiser vs Angler Reply with quote

I am buying a CD22. The major decision is do I get the ever popular Cruiser or the Angler model. I plan on using it primarily for fishing and so am leaning toward the Angler. I see that many of you do alot of fishing on your Cruisers so I'm in a quandary. Please give me your valued opinion and thanks to all who have contributed to this sight. Your messages have been extremely helpful in getting a novice this far. Andy
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, I like my Cruiser because I can leave the ramp/dock fully provisioned and enjoy an extended fishing venture. I'll fish one spot and then move on to another. I can fish right up to dusk w/o having to run back home. I'll anchor or moor overnight and in the morning I'll resume fishing @ "0 dark thirty". I can keep this up for many days with occasional re-provisioning of ice/fuel. This greatly increases my fishing coverage as I get farther away from home port. It's also a fuel efficient way to do things as I do'nt keep running back/forth to ramp/dock every evening. The Cruiser will fish up to four quite easily if I'm using two downriggers and two rodholders. I can fish this way year round in the Columbia or the Puget Sound/San Juans or local lakes (Trout/Kokanee). This is possible because I have heating(Wallas), cooking(generator/microwave), and washing(pressurizes faucet) capabilities. I also carry a vacuum sealer so I can process my catch on board as I go. All this could be done on an angler I suppose, but not as comfortably. Good luck on your decision, Pete

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Pete.
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I have had a 22 Angler and now have a 22 Cruiser. It is alot easier for a cruiser to work as a fishing platform than it is to make a cruiser out of an Angler.
I loved my Angler but the cruiser works much better for my wife and I.

Fred
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Fred. I was hoping to hear from an Angler owner. My girlfriend and her two young boys and I will be the primary passengers. She was worried about not enough room to fish and/or crab on the Cruiser and so was bending me toward the Angler. (in fact I ordered one but still have time to change the order unless someone convinces me otherwise). Thanks again
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy- Utility issues aside, if you ever decide to sell the boat, I think you'll fuind it easier to sell a Cruiser model than an Angler, though either one of them should sell quite easily. Just a passing thought. Joe.
Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Love my Angler Reply with quote

I bought my boat to fish, and I do. The extra room in the cockpit is important when you land Halibut over 100# Shocked

I love my boat and have been on several overnight trips, but as a rule I only fish myself and 2 others. For that the Angler is perfect.
I considered getting the camper back and putting a cot out back so we could do some family cruising. I even found a really neat bar and sink with cabinets and water from Cabelas that would fit just right for cruising, but alas my wife gets sea sick just walking down the dock.

There is not enough room to seat more than 3 on the ocean in an angler IMHO. It is rather comfy though with my Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater. I use a roll up table and a coleman stove to cook breakfast while fishing hog lines in the river (on anchor). It sure is nice.

For me the Angler is perfect adn I would not give up the extra fishing space because that is what I bought it for.

I think you should try to get out on each and see what you think.
I can do about anything that can be done on a Cruiser and I have more room to fish. Yes B~C, I can too sleep 4, we just have to be real friendly Shocked Embarassed Shocked . Confused

One thing about C-Dorys, you can do with them what ever you really want to.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your replies. I have considered the re-sale point of view although at my age I'm determined to choose the right boat and pass it on to my youngins when I go belly up. I picked up a neat book called "Gunkholeing in the San Juans" which has perked my interest in the ability the cruiser model has to offer. My main squeeze has had a horrifying experience off the California coast with her ex and may not be able to do any extended gunkholeing trips with me. I think I am going with the cruiser and hope that Mary can meet the challenge. Thanks to all who have responded. Andy
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
I picked up a neat book called "Gunkholeing in the San Juans" which has perked my interest in the ability the cruiser model has to offer. My main squeeze has had a horrifying experience off the California coast with her ex and may not be able to do any extended gunkholeing trips with me. I think I am going with the cruiser and hope that Mary can meet the challenge.

Hi Andy,
Although you've not indicated it, I'm guessing that you are in the greater Seattle area since you are talking "the San Juans".
Obviously, "horrifying experiences" are possible in any waters, but the San Juans are terrific areas to cruise as they offer plenty of safe "harbors" to "duck in" out of the storms, fog, etc. You can easily cruise and have land near you at all times.

C-Brat #16
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave,

This is what I tell Mary but until she experiences it herself the old program will have the most influence. I am in the area. Woodinville. I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie and haven't done any boating except for canoe, kayak and cartop fishing boat for a number of years. I pretty excited. Mr. Green
DaveS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
I don't know if you are already planning on it. But, why don't you folks come over to Langley this weekend and meet "a bunch of us". It would also give Mary a great opportunity to talk with the ladies in our group, who I'm sure would be delighted to share their adventures of cruising in the San Juans.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
It would also give Mary a great opportunity to talk with the ladies in our group, who I'm sure would be delighted to share their adventures of cruising in the San Juans.

Well, that would sure make your decision easy. If Mary gets to talkin' about curtains in a Cruiser, you won't be buying no fishing boat.

Ain't that Dave something?? Nice guy, huh? He just happened to be first, though. The whole crowd is that way. New friends are always welcome, and you (the whole family) will discover there is a lot more to these C-Dorys than C-Dorys. If you take Dave up on the invite, you will be very glad you did. There's a reason the C-Brats have "sold" more C-Dorys than get sold to folks who have never met us, virtually or otherwise.

My take on your dilemma is to get the Cruiser right off. My wife and I thought we wanted the Angler to start with, but found a Cruiser we wanted first. After discovering all the things other than fishing we could do with the boat, we many times thought how lucky we were to get the one we did. There is plenty of fishing room in the Cruiser cockpit. (I still miss the TyBoo22 every time I fish in the TyBoo25. There is no comparison.) Granted, there is more cockpit space in the Angler, but it isn't any wider, so spacing additional poles is not a distinct advantage. The Angler's advantage will show up in carrying crab pots and the like, but strictly for fishing, it's a toss up in my opinion. Besides, Mary will have much more reason to spend time with you on the boat if she can't trust you to keep your fishy, scalely, stinkin' hands off the curtains while you're out there.

No matter which way you go, you still get the entire C-Brat family. So don't stew over it too much.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave and Mike,
Thanks for the invite and the advice. We won't be able to make this gathering but plan on doing so in the future. Boat delivery sometime in September. Andy
DaveS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy wrote:
Dave and Mike,
Thanks for the invite and the advice. We won't be able to make this gathering but plan on doing so in the future. Boat delivery sometime in September. Andy

Andy, sorry you folks can't join us. Sad ..........just remember that you don't need your own boat to get to the Langley Marina on Whidbey Island as the "Big Green and White Ferry Boats" can get you there too, via the Mukilteo to Clinton route. (The C-Brats and their C-Dorys will be there Friday (today), Saturday and Sunday Smile ).
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I have a 1983 Angler. I was looking for a Cruiser, but on the East Coast, the pickings were slim. I now love my Angler for the following reasons.

1. Large Cockpit.
2. A covered Cockpit makes for a great area to entertain.
3. Easier to get on the forward berth. Totally open on the port side.
4. I have built a stern seat for storage and sleeping. Make comfortable sleeping for three people.

Things I do not have.
1. Galley when built will be smaller.
2. Dinette small, seats lower than on the cruiser model. Harder to look out.
3. Hull is a flat dory hull. Little rough in rough seas. Does not cut the seas like the newer cruiser models.

If I had to do it over, I would get the newer Cruiser model.

Fred Heap
Man From Nantucket

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: