The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Tug 21ec - My Observation!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Ditto Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
OK, you don't want the Ranger 21. Thanks for stopping by.

Ditto...thanks for stopping by, take care and safe boating.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idle Up,

Try searching for the Mainship's Owner's group site ... I think you got lost on the way...

John
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys can beat on me all you want – but that does not change one thing on the R21. I accept the fact that no boat is perfect. The problem with the 21 is Ranger tried to make it something it’s not, and crammed too much in it’s small cabin with a too narrow beam – they need to forget cooking and washing dishes and the glitter and provide a good comfortable two seat cabin with sufficient leg room. Move the door over to the left and let the passenger deal with deploying the seat. It’s mandatory that they allow ample egress to safely enter and exit the cabin especially in any type of sea.

The fuel specs I provided clearly shows that indeed the R21 is not fuel efficient, and severely lacks ample speed. When a 34 ft Mainship trawler weighing 15,000 lbs burns less fuel and has more speed than the R21 at idle - you knows there’s something wrong. Anyway you guys twist it, the boat is under-powered and the result is the little engine is busting it’s behind to do 8 mph which is the reason for the high fuel consumption and no speed.

Instead of you guys looking at others opinions for what their worth – you choose to alienate them, while all the time knowing these are legitimate problems that need to be addressed. I truly wanted to buy one of these boats but after owning maybe a 100 boats in my lifetime and attending most every major boat show, I could not with a clear conscience overlook these obvious problems.
Perhaps the difference between most of you and me, is I’m on the water almost every day, I use my boat to commute to my home and work. On the other hand, most R21 owners climb in the boat maybe once a month and the boat is parked all winter – that’s the difference and why I’m more critical. If the boat was 30K I could possible live with it and make some changes – but I assure you I’m not spending no $64,000 and deal with obvious manufacturer design flaws!

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy boating to you!

John
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Good Grief Reply with quote

It is apparent to me that Mr. Idleup has a compulsive need to be right, and perhaps to manipulate his environs to best suit him.

So, I give up. You're right. The Ranger 21 is a horrible boat.
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idleup, Why rock the boat? These are two totally different boats. I ran the first 21ec off the line and loved it. 8 knots is not a good speed for the 21. I like 5.5-6 knts for cruise and enjoy every minute. Some of us are just not in a hurry, enjoy parking the boat in the driveway, like to tow to different areas and lakes -- the list is endless. All of the things that you post negatively about the 21ec are things that I (and a whole bunch of other guys/gals) enjoy.

We have friends who go 1,000 nautical miles to Alaska in their little 21's.

I'll not knock your Mainship -- good boat, but a different boat.

Best wishes from another pilot.

Dusty

Last edited by Sawdust on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:
I'll add another comment, for the guy who wants to leave the R21 in the water, keep in mind that in 6 months you'll lose around 20% of your speed for growth and you'll find yourself running 6 knots WOT.

That was only true before the invention of the putty knife and the scotchbrite pad. Wink

Seriously, there's no reason for growth on the bottom to noticeably affect boat speed. My last sailboat was almost exclusively used for racing, and I would not race with a dirty bottom. Keep good paint on it and scrub it now and then, especially just before race day. Very Happy

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a lake and our closest place to eat is almost 10 miles which would be 2 hours of travel. The speed has me worried seems that a 40-50 hp might be in order. I used to own a Mainship 30 they used to only get around 18 mph then they changed the hull & power and it would do around 30 mph.

Then
I use my boat to commute to my home and work

Ron Cowan told you on Sept 10th that: "I find about 2000-2200 rpm at about 6.5 mph is the sweet spot and about 1/3 gal/hr fuel burn."

You knew right up front that the boat was a 6 knot boat, despite that and other posts that it was a less than 8 knot boat you still wanted to buy the boat, then you knock it. (If you knew anything about boats it would have been obvious)

Lots of inconsistancies in the posts.

He has owned over 100 boats and attended almost every major boat show....That certainly makes him an expert on boat design.

Very entertaining reading!

As for the Mainship 34--the original mark I, II and III had 160 to 220 HP and were "trawlers". The Pilot 30, 31, 34 are downeast type of express /sedan cruisers. The new Mainship 34/35/39 has been termed a "fast trawler"--but in reality is again more of a motor yacht.

Buy David Gerr's "Nature of Boats" and Bebee/Leishman's "Voyaging under power" to understand more about boat design and powering. It may help you make intelligent decisions so you don't have to buy so many boats and to avoid disappointment in the future.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found him a boat-the Grover 26. It looks somewhat similar to the Ranger 21. It is cheap (runs from $16,000 to $24,000 (of course used). It has from 65 to 135 hp diesel--two nice bunks foreward, small galley and potty--with a wheel house, which can be enclosed (some have been)

One of these, outboard powered, crossed the Atlantic all by itself.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/818289479.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~brice.sumner/

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/818289479.html

This is a Grover 26--semi displacement hull, Glass--I don't believe that new ones are being built--but these boats are tough.

However, even with the 65 and 135 hp, often the owners still cruise them at 7 knots--because this is the most economical speed.
IdleUp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I live on a lake and our closest place to eat is almost 10 miles which would be 2 hours of travel. The speed has me worried seems that a 40-50 hp might be in order. I used to own a Mainship 30 they used to only get around 18 mph then they changed the hull & power and it would do around 30 mph.

Then
I use my boat to commute to my home and work

Ron Cowan told you on Sept 10th that: "I find about 2000-2200 rpm at about 6.5 mph is the sweet spot and about 1/3 gal/hr fuel burn."

You knew right up front that the boat was a 6 knot boat, despite that and other posts that it was a less than 8 knot boat you still wanted to buy the boat, then you knock it. (If you knew anything about boats it would have been obvious)

Lots of inconsistancies in the posts.

He has owned over 100 boats and attended almost every major boat show....That certainly makes him an expert on boat design.

Very entertaining reading!

As for the Mainship 34--the original mark I, II and III had 160 to 220 HP and were "trawlers". The Pilot 30, 31, 34 are downeast type of express /sedan cruisers. The new Mainship 34/35/39 has been termed a "fast trawler"--but in reality is again more of a motor yacht.

Buy David Gerr's "Nature of Boats" and Bebee/Leishman's "Voyaging under power" to understand more about boat design and powering. It may help you make intelligent decisions so you don't have to buy so many boats and to avoid disappointment in the future.

The only inconsistencies is your lack of ability to accept the fact that every single point I mentioned about both the R21 and the Mainship is100% factual.

Ok you're right, I Imagined that there is only around 6-8 inches to sneak by the seat - I was wrong about my knees jammed up on the wheel - I didn't have my feet hanging all over the bunk - I was wrong about the make shift plywood foam seat for the passenger - there is room to spare in the cabin and the boat runs 20 knots and uses just an ounce of fuel and the boat does not sell for $64,000

Lets' face it - you guys are pissed off and slinging mud because you know right well that I'm dead on in my appraisal of the R21. Like I said, if your looking for a boat that looks cute and you can show off to the neighbors while it's parked on your trailer, than the R21 is unbeatable. However, if you're looking for a boat with comfort and usability look elsewhere.

Believe me there is other problems like the post I read where some guy caught a wave washing over the beam and could not get the water to drain out of the 2" shower drain and flooded the engine compartment and submerged the engine was he wrong as well?

Take a word of good advise - if your looking for a trailerable tug forget the R21 and get the R25.
Ashley Lynn

City/Region: Panhandle
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ashley Lynn
Photos: Ashley Lynn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp (Mike),

I believe that what you are calling "the slinging of mud" is in retaliation to your continued negative attack and your knack at communicating your viewpoint.

You have benefited no one with your comments.

What's your point?

In my opinion, the R21 is cool looking....but not for me. I didn't buy one either. End of story.

Mike----relax! .

Boating, where its ok to play with your dinghy!
Jim T

City/Region: Noblesville
State or Province: IN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Dusty. I own a 2006 21ec tug and love it for probably every reason you don't. To me it is a great balance between form and function. I have always appreciated a design that can do the most with the least. I have spent many nights on the boat and have used all of the systems, stove, sink, bunk and head and am always surprised at how well it all comes together in a 21 foot boat. I've had the tug on lake Michigan during small craft warnings. Not fun but definitely capable. Impressed my brother-in-law who normally cruises in a 36 foot Silverton. Yes the passenger seat over the burner and sink is not comfortable. (My wife pointed this out right away). Two hours some stainless tubing, take apart hinges and a folding seat later, problem solved, comfortable removable jump seat. Is it slow? You bet, and I love every minuet of the trip! It is oh so sweet at 6mph. Which by the way is fast for a cruising sailor.

I have not owned over 100 boats but I have owned a 16 C-Dory, 22 C-Dory, 25 C-dory and many classic wooden runabouts and utilities, Chris Craft's and Century's. I have traveled the Tennessee River the Mississippi river and portions of the Great Lakes. Living in Indiana, all of my boats have been trailerable and when someone asks me which is my favorite there is no hesitation when I say it is the 21ec tug.

From your posts I gather that you seem to enjoy stirring the pot. You do it well. I must thank you for bringing us 21ec owners and future owners together. I can't remember the last time I posted on this site but I view it daily. I hope that people who have followed this thread that are not familiar with the little tug will check it out and appreciate it for what it is, not for what it is not.

Sunday I leave for a week in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Late in the season I know, but I'll be comfortable in my tug.
IdleUp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim T wrote:
I must agree with Dusty. I own a 2006 21ec tug and love it for probably every reason you don't. To me it is a great balance between form and function. I have always appreciated a design that can do the most with the least. I have spent many nights on the boat and have used all of the systems, stove, sink, bunk and head and am always surprised at how well it all comes together in a 21 foot boat. I've had the tug on lake Michigan during small craft warnings. Not fun but definitely capable. Impressed my brother-in-law who normally cruises in a 36 foot Silverton. Yes the passenger seat over the burner and sink is not comfortable. (My wife pointed this out right away). Two hours some stainless tubing, take apart hinges and a folding seat later, problem solved, comfortable removable jump seat. Is it slow? You bet, and I love every minuet of the trip! It is oh so sweet at 6mph. Which by the way is fast for a cruising sailor.

I have not owned over 100 boats but I have owned a 16 C-Dory, 22 C-Dory, 25 C-dory and many classic wooden runabouts and utilities, Chris Craft's and Century's. I have traveled the Tennessee River the Mississippi river and portions of the Great Lakes. Living in Indiana, all of my boats have been trailerable and when someone asks me which is my favorite there is no hesitation when I say it is the 21ec tug.

From your posts I gather that you seem to enjoy stirring the pot. You do it well. I must thank you for bringing us 21ec owners and future owners together. I can't remember the last time I posted on this site but I view it daily. I hope that people who have followed this thread that are not familiar with the little tug will check it out and appreciate it for what it is, not for what it is not.

Sunday I leave for a week in the North Channel of Lake Huron. Late in the season I know, but I'll be comfortable in my tug.

Jim thanks for your thoughts - I'm glad that at least I was able to provide some good to the forum. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I love the looks of the boat, the aft deck, and even the cabin, but once I checked out the boat, I could see the jump seat and the entrance would be a problem. I wish they just had two good seats in there.

Moving from Florida 12 years ago, boats are part of my life and I have always loved trawler type boats. For me the R21 was going to be a work/play boat - I'm in land development here at Smith Mountain Lake and I work exclusively on waterfront properties. The tug would be used almost on a daily basis which means picking up passengers and workers. My old work boat was a Trophy 2359 a popular west coast work/fish boat, it was fine but i just wanted something different and my neighbor bought it from me, so I was hunting!

TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:

Believe me there is other problems like the post I read where some guy caught a wave washing over the beam and could not get the water to drain out of the 2" shower drain and flooded the engine compartment and submerged the engine was he wrong as well?

I missed that one, but...

There are two drains, but they do not lead overboard, they drain to the bilge. It's not a self-bailing cockpit.
Frob

City/Region: Hudson River
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Barnacle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idleup, You made some good points on the 21 and must remember the site your on.
I am pleased with my tug and really impressed at the water she can take, it is not and would not be my only boat ( currently have 3 ).

But it is a great little boat last year we did over 500 miles on the canals with 2 onboard and it was fine , and in a way more fun than it would have been in my 40 footer , plus a heck of a lot cheaper.

Of all its flaws ,and every boat has some, the slow speed is the biggest issue for us at times, and I will admit the passenger seat is uncomfortable after awhile, we put a cooler on the floor for a foot rest and it helps .
When she rocks the porthole on the port sides hardware can do a number on your shoulder if you do not watch out for it.

BUT OVERALL SHE IS A GREAT LITTLE BOAT !

Spend some time in a 21 foot cuddy runabout and you will find issues also , even though they may not be the same. Good luck in your quest for the boat your looking for but take it easy on the brats they did not build it.

I want to get too far off the topic , but you would be surprised at how we have over come many of the issues you described and cruise quite comfortably in our 21.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: