The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Tug 21ec - My Observation!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
I hope this doesn't come across as not being nice, but... why would anyone head somewhere to "tie up" a deal if you haven't done your homework??? You want faster, more room, a bigger cabin? Well, you just described a C-Dory 22. Oh, you won't have a diesel in it.

Just because this boat doesn't work for you is no reason that Ranger should change their design. You buy a boat for what it does and how you will use it... and it sounds like this boat should not have been on your consideration list to start with. We did have a guy who came on here several months ago with many of the same concerns you have AND a similar attitude... I'm speaking of that "Come on, Ranger, get with it..." stuff. You get to vote with your dollars, but that doesn't mean you get to control what they build. Check into a custom builder - see if they can come up with a marine architect who will design you just what you want. Frankly, I think you'll be hard pressed to come up with all that you want, keep it to 21 feet, and still have that inboard diesel.

Just out of curiosity, what other other boats are on your consideration list?

Jim B.

It's funny you mentioned this but everyone that climbed aboard the 21 while I was there had the same exact comments . . . The cabin is too cramped, I don't think I could live with the 10 knots, and the price was too high.

Did you know any of that before you went up there to "tie up" the deal??? The R-21 is a great looking boat that is going to attract a lot of attention. There will be plenty of people who have no idea what the cost will be nor how fast it will go. These folks will say the same things you (and others) said. I hear scads of people picking apart boats at boat shows who have no intention of actually buying the boat. However, if you have done your homework, realistically know what the boat does and what it sells for, you should not be disappointed. We eliminated LOTS of boats while we were in the discovery stage; not once did I tell a manufacturer "Come on, everybody wants..." I kept looking until I found the right boat for the way we use it. And when we came to tie up the deal, we were ready to write the check. The fact that you were so surprised about what the 21 is and what it sells for tells me that you either did no homework or you were just entertaining yourself with the premise of going to buy a boat. Truly, that's your business... I just find it somewhat surprising that someone would get on a forum like this and admit that they were on their way to "tie up" a deal without knowing anything about the boat. Question

We have lots of people ask about our boat. For some reason, many of them seem to think it should sell for less than half of the actual price. I don't consider any of those folks serious buyers or are so early into the discovery stage that they don't yet understand the difference between these boats and the mass produced cheapies.

I hope this isn't offensive to you; that's really not my intent. It just seems to me that your head was turned by a pretty boat, and you're surprised that a 21 foot boat with a displacement type hull won't go faster and have more room in the small cabin and cost less. There is no linear scale for boat costs... especially with something like the 21, it is built by hand in small quantities for a specific use. And that comes at a price. If you punch out the beam, give it a different hull shape that would allow it to plane, put in a bigger motor, and make the cabin bigger... well, you no longer have the same boat!

That's why I suggested you take your money and visit with a custom builder and a marine architect to get exactly what you want. If you think there is a large market for it, you could even jump into the boat building industry and make a fortune. Are you that sure the others who feel the same as you will pull out their wallet?

And most respectfully, I'd still be interested in what other boats are on your short list of prospects? Anything else out there that does all you want and has all you want at the price you want to pay?
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious about your cost of $65K for the boat. Please explain.
Shaun

City/Region: Dana Point
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: RUB "N" TUG
Photos: RUB "N" TUG
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp,
As an owner of an 06 Ranger 21EC, I also disagree with all of your comments. The Rub N Tug has almost 320 hours on her hour meter, 7 trips to Catalina Island and a trip north to the Channel Islands under her belt. You said that you spent 45 minutes on the boat. I have used every system in that boat and I can say that I am happy to have every single one of them. With the addition of my new fridg I can stay on a mooring or anchored at the Island for days at a time only to leave for fresh food. Keep in mind that this a 21 foot boat and not this mainship that you are accustomed to. The beam of the boat is factored into its design to maximize the ratio of inside volume and its ability to pass through the water. To add beam and not length will cause the boat to be even slower and require even more engine to move at the same speeds. Displacement hulls have a specific hull speed at wich they will run with the greatest efficientcy. Without changing the hull design completely, an unrealistic amount of power is required to push past this speed barrier. A 50 or 75 horse motor does not suit this boat! This is the 21st century which is even more of a reason for people to slow down and relax and enjoy their time on a boat. In my multiple trips over to Catalina Island, which takes almost 5 hours, I have noticed 1 distinct difference from friends of mine that have faster boats, Fuel. On my last trip earlier this week It cost me $26 for the crossing and an hour long booze cruise that night. With fuel prices in the high 5's and low 6's at the fuel dock over there the last thing on my mind is a larger motor. As far as cooking and doing dishes in the cabin, please refer to my pictures. I am 6' 1" and weigh in at 240 lbs and find no problem getting in or out of the bed, cabin door or helm seat. After a little practice this boat is very maneuverable and after learning how to use the thrust of its motor one will discover that his boat does not need a bow thruster. This boat suits not only my desires in a boat but also my pocket book. I can afford to run this boat without breaking the bank. This boat definitely doesn't suit you but for those it does, we fall in love with it. My advice to you is to do a little more research the next time you feel like spending this kind of money. When you discover that this boat is not for you take the time you spent writing this post and use it to look deeper into the boat on the list.
Goater

City/Region: St. George
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Theodore
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
As someone who just did "tie-up" a deal on an R21ec (Thursday in Toronto; ya-baby!), I would like to offer my 2 cents on this. Idelup, I can identify with some of the things you said in your post. Some of that thinking came into mind during our process of determining if this boat was for us. The smaller cabin for example, ( we have 2 young daughters and a dog and are we all going to fit in there when it rains?) And the speed was a consideration, too. At the end of the deliberation, we concluded that this boat in essence is like no other that we have found. Its obvious merits outweigh the few (if any) shortcomings that I'm sure , in short order, will be forgotten. It's a 21 foot trailerable enclosed cabin cruiser with sleeping quarters, stove, head and tons of space for relaxing and fishing. And did I mention its 21 feet long? Here in this market, I know of nothing similar that is less 25 feet and costing twice as much and not too happy being trailered.
This is clearly not a boat for everyone, I suppose. But it is for us. Someone on an other posting said it right though; 'it is what it is and it's great'. That's the way we feel.
Anyway, that's my thoughts. We can hardly wait to next year!

Cheers

Gregg
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Hmmm... Reply with quote

Maybe it's a good thing there's more than one boat manufacturer.

If you can't appreciate the sheer economy of the R21-EC with regard to fuel consumption and space planning, keep looking. We appreciate our little tug more every time we take her out. Filled up for the first time yesterday since the 4th of July (only missed two weekends since then) and the bill was $38.00.

As for speed, either you enjoy the trip or you don't. We're looking forward to more extended trips this fall and winter in hopes of learning more about her capabilities. So far we've been substantially more impressed than disappointed.

Still... to each his own.
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
I hope this doesn't come across as not being nice, but... why would anyone head somewhere to "tie up" a deal if you haven't done your homework??? You want faster, more room, a bigger cabin? Well, you just described a C-Dory 22. Oh, you won't have a diesel in it.

Just because this boat doesn't work for you is no reason that Ranger should change their design. You buy a boat for what it does and how you will use it... and it sounds like this boat should not have been on your consideration list to start with. We did have a guy who came on here several months ago with many of the same concerns you have AND a similar attitude... I'm speaking of that "Come on, Ranger, get with it..." stuff. You get to vote with your dollars, but that doesn't mean you get to control what they build. Check into a custom builder - see if they can come up with a marine architect who will design you just what you want. Frankly, I think you'll be hard pressed to come up with all that you want, keep it to 21 feet, and still have that inboard diesel.

Just out of curiosity, what other other boats are on your consideration list?

Jim B.

It's funny you mentioned this but everyone that climbed aboard the 21 while I was there had the same exact comments . . . The cabin is too cramped, I don't think I could live with the 10 knots, and the price was too high.

Believe me - while I was in the cabin the other people looking, walked around the boat or sat in the stern. Regarding the economy, if you guys do the math - due to the slow speed, the R21 is not really any more economical than boats considerable larger. My Mainship 30 had a 300 hp Yanmar and at 8 knots it was just barely above idle and used less fuel than the R21. You have to accept the fact that while the boat reports a small fuel consumption per hour, it's not moving very fast.

Bottom line, the engine is too small, causing the boat to go too slow - you should be able to throttle back to less than half throttle and do 8-10 knots - in this day and age of modern diesel engines, there is no reason to run that engine almost wide open to cruise around - it's not right and does not fit the whole theory of the mini trawler.

I'll add another comment, for the guy who wants to leave the R21 in the water, keep in mind that in 6 months you'll lose around 20% of your speed for growth and you'll find yourself running 6 knots WOT.

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess you must have missed my question... twice.

What other boats made your consideration list?

Truly, I don't mean to come across rude, but you seem to have an agenda. You were going to "tie up" (I take that as: write the check and buy the boat), but now Ranger won't get your money because of all the "faults" you discovered?? Were there other boats at the show that you wouldn't buy? Any that made your cut? Many of us would be interested to hear what boat of a similar size, style, and less price you find fits your needs. Please, enlighten us.

IdleUp, methinks you didn't do any homework at all. Methinks you weren't going to buy the boat. Some people just like to talk about buying. We have a phrase for that in Texas: big hat, no cattle.

So, what other boats made your consideration list? Let me phrase it another way: is there any other boat out there that you considered besides the R-21? How 'bout this: Did you consider "tying up" any other boats at that boat show? I guess what I'm asking is: Were you able to find a 21 foot boat with a big cabin, large engine, planing hull, diesel inboard, inexpensive price, trailerable... that you DID "tie up"? If you didn't care for this boat (and why would you go there to "tie up"), what boat does meet your needs?
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: A thought... Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good Bayliner dealer in Virginia? It sounds like it could be a solution.
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I am curious about your cost of $65K for the boat. Please explain.

That's easily explained. $50,000 for the base boat at the factory door, plus $15,000 to add some optional equipment and get the boat where it needs to be for sale. He also might be including sales taxes and additional outfitting in that figure.

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he and It-Sea-Bit-C could go into business together modifing the 21. I envision rebuilding the hull from the waterline down into a 3 point hydo and perhaps slideouts on the cabin similiar to what RV's have. Under the motor cover could be and outboard well with a 300 Suzuki. To all those who own and are content with the 21 I got to tell you that is one fine looking vessel. One passed by my dock about a month ago and it took me hours to wipe the smile off my face.
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: R-21 Reply with quote

I have nothing to add about the R-21 except that I was drawn to it every time I visited my Tomcat at the dealership. The lines are just awesome and if I could afford to own multiple boats I would have one of the Ranger Tugs. I would love to go for a cruise on one of those.

I'm curious about the prop you had on your trawlers that ran 8 knots in idle?!? That would be one hell of a party trying to dock! 8 knots is close to WOT on one of the 26' boats I run, at least in terms of my available throttle range on the console.

Clearly the R-21 is not for you. It was good for you to figure this out in advance. It would be tragic to buy a boat then discover you do not like it.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I feel like I'm betraying my 16 footer, but, when I first saw that Ranger 21 that Les brought to Poulsbo a few years ago, I was smitten. While I will never have one because my car can't pull it, and I can't afford it anyway, I love it and am happy for those who have it.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, fell in love with the lines and basic construction of the EC-21. I even like the older models!

However, in the final analysis, I just could not live with the restricted speed here on MidWestern lakes where we often have to outrun storms to find lee moorage, or the safety of the docks.

I love my TomCat 255 and actually spend most of my time on it cruising at 6-8 smph on autopilot... That is relaxing, with time to photograph, draw, daydream, and soak up the local sights, or enjoy a conversation.

I get 2.5-3 smiles per gallon at those speed on the TomCat, but have to run on a plane to keep the algae level down on the hull and the engines in shape. As such, it is a very swift kick in the pants to have to fill up those twin 75 gallon tanks at $5 per gallon down here!

Like Matt, if I could justify it, I'd have an EC-21 tied up right next to my TomCat.

I was sorry at first to hear of Idle Up's disappointment in the EC-21 upon his first test cruise, but most of his complaints about the cabin size and limited speed are pretty obvious, even at a distant perusal in photos, brochures, etc..

However, Idle Up, as you persist in foisting some form of "blame" upon the designers and manufacturer of the EC-21, or some form of engineering failure on their part, my compassion for your situation is fading.

The world of marine design has for centuries worked within the limits of the laws of physics and the laws of nature to the extent that any potential boat owner MUST choose between designs that are large, roomy, fast and expensive to operate and designes that are more sleek (hullwise), smaller inside, slower, and economical to operate.

You simply need to accept the laws of nature and the laws of physics and deal with the reality that one must CHOOSE the path, the craft, that most closely embodies his desires, instead of harping on those designers, manufacturers and users of models which fail to meet his wants.

Best of luck... and I'd beware of anybody offering you a craft with the exact features you are wanting all in one boat.

John
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idleup,

Remember that diesels must be loaded correctly if you want them to last. If you put a 75 horsepower diesel in a R21, and only ran 8 knots, you'd significantly shorten its lifespan.

Seriously though, have you looked at the CD22? It sounds like the perfect boat for you...
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the R21 tug would be an ideal boat for crabbing/shrimping due to the large cockpit and sufficient space to keep 2 people dry in the cabin. I also see it as an awesome "picnic boat" - e.g. a great boat to cruise around with friends on a dry day or evening. My CD 22 doesn't have near the cockpit space of an R21 and boy there sure are times when I'd love to have that. Personally, I don't see the R21 as an over night boat but there are plenty here who use their boat that way. I agree that the pilot house is small/cramped and not the best for cooking and long term cruising. However, the cockpit is great!

So as others have said, it really comes down to what you want in a boat and how you plan to use it. The R21 has clearly exchanged cabin space for cockpit space and then with the remaining cabin space jammed in as much utility as possible. Of course, some of the functionality that is crammed into the cabin will not be the equal of similar functionality to that in a large cabin. Hence, some (IdleUp and perhaps me included), would just as soon not have certain items in the smaller cabin afforded by an R21. BUT Ranger Tugs isn't building the typical boat for just me (or for just IdleUp) but for what they think the market wants. HOWEVER, the people at Ranger Tugs are very accommodating and would probably adjust what's in the cabin to suit an individual user's desire. So rather than ranting here, did you consider discussing what you didn't like with the good folks at Ranger and asking what changes they could and could not make?

Also, as far as the speed goes, a 21' boat probably only has about 18' at the waterline giving you a roughly 6kt hull speed. Anything over that will require sufficient power to bring the boat on plane and the power requirements to get on plane the power requirements are much higher (for example, I cannot plane my 22 cd on just one of my twin 40's). Your 30' boat probably has/had about 26' at the water line and hence the displacement speed would be closer to 7kts (maybe 8 ). That is, a natural consequence of a longer boat is that you will get a higher displacement speed (the speed increase will go as the square root of the length). That's physics, neither you nor any boat builder can do anything about that. On all boats, the fuel economy can be very good at displacement speeds and below with low power. However, to get on plane will require more power and SIGNIFICANTLY higher fuel burns. The vast majority of people are not looking for that in a trawler (especially in these days of high fuel costs). In addition, the tug hulls were not really designed with planing in mind. Sure they can plane with enough HP but that's not the intention of the design. Hence the expectation that you have for much higher speeds and HP is not what most in the market want and not what the boat was designed to do. While you may see this as a "flaw", others see it as a "feature". BTW - what was the fuel burn of your Mainship 30 or 34 at 12kts? or 18kts? I'm betting you got about 4MPG at displacement speeds (which BTW is a similar to the R21 at displacement speed).

Finally, as to the need for a stern thruster on a 21' boat.... It's so damn easy to dock a small boat, I can't imagine why anyone would think that they need this (with the exception that it is required for the European Union's CE mark)! Hence, it's not surprising that it's not typically built in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: