The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

A few Questions For you Experts!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: A few Questions For you Experts! Reply with quote

1) I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times but what is the average speed of the Ranger 21 ec with the 29 hp Yanmar. Dealers tell me as high as 13-15 mph specs show 10-12 mph. I live on a lake and our closest place to eat is almost 10 miles which would be 2 hours of travel. The speed has me worried seems that a 40-50 hp might be in order. I used to own a Mainship 30 they used to only get around 18 mph then they changed the hull & power and it would do around 30 mph.

2) Just how loud is the engine when cruising is it quiet or do you have to talk over it sitting in the aft section.

3) how much vibration do you feel when idling and under way - my Mainship was absolutely was terrible!

4) how does the Tug shift - is it a loud clunk when going in gear and reverse or is it smooth?

Thanks in Advance!
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no claim to being an expert and my tug is a R-21 (2006) prior to the introduction of the 21EC. With the displacement hull and only 20 HP Speed is the most concerning fact of the tug. Over the two years I have gotten used to it and rather like it now. Enjoy the trip more and ((LOVE)) the fuel consumption. The specs. claimed about 4 MPH higher top end on the modified hull and 30 HP. I find about 2000-2200 rpm at about 6.5 mph is the sweet spot and about 1/3 gal/hr fuel burn.
1) the engine is quite and there is not a problem with communication ( in fact the wife goes to sleep everytime we go out)
2) it is smoth at idle although a little rougher than cruising at 2000
3) there is no clunk on shifting but all I would expect
They are great little boats and if you can relax and enjoy what they are intended to deliver in speed you will have many hours of enjoyment.
Ron

Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: No speed demon... Reply with quote

Ron makes a great point...

You have to love the R21-EC for what it is.

Despite the reported 10 - 12 mpg, I find a GPS indicated 8 mpg to be more reliable. There is very little gain in speed between the cruising sweet spot of 2400 rpms and flat out 3400 rpms.

The engine noise at cruise is high enough to influence conversation volume, but people seated aft can certainly carry on a comfortable conversation.

There are a few clunky rpms that set up some vibration, but they are easily avoided. The most noticeable being just over idle speed. A little throttle adjustment clears it right up.

Shifting is very smooth.

As Ron stated, you either love the resulting fuel sipping or you don't. If you can enjoy the trip, you'll love this tug.

Steve Frisch
Frob

City/Region: Hudson River
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Barnacle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the above posts , cruise is about 6-8 mph , 10mph is pushing it for a cruise speed.

The best wide open speed with the 30 hp, has never been over 12 with gps. I enjoy the boat but agree with you it would be much better with a little more hp.

Read the posts by IT-C BIT-C ,he had the same ideas but has not posted recently, he was thinking of installing a larger engine in the 21 and we were wondering if he ever did ? To compare the results ?

She is slow but fun , expect about 3 hrs for a 20 mile cruise, I think the slow cruise speed is the only drawback of the boat, it would be great to cruise at about 12 mph and the 21 feels good at that speed , too bad it takes full throtle to get up to that speed.

In my opinion , if they made it faster I would sell mine and buy a new one
it is my second boat and I usually do not travel to far with it because it is a slow boat . Many friends , guests and fellow boaters who have been aboard and like the boat agree to the fact they would buy one if it was able to cruise faster.

Take a test drive and see for yourself , that way you will know what your gettin into and remember gear and guests onboard will add alittle to speed reduction , good luck with your choice , hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: