The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

MISSOURI RIVER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: MISSOURI RIVER Reply with quote

Anyone interested in some fall cruising down the Missouri River? There might be some drift/floating between some of the fuel stops and some marvelous fall color along the river. Lots of southbounding waterfowl, fast water (four to five knots consistently, and up to seven knots. It is, with the possible exception of the lower Mississippi, the fastest river in the US that is navigable by large watercraft), and interesting towns.

We suggest cruising on the navigable section of the Missouri River, from the head of navigation near Sioux City, IA, to the river's mouth near St. Louis Missouri. This portion of the river, maintained for navigation by the US Army Corps of Engineers, is 752 miles in length, with no locks or dams.

Across the state of Missouri, the river marks the southernmost boundary of glaciation of the last ice age, and not coincidentally the northern extent of the Ozarks, so there will be some interesting geology.

The cruise follows the route of Lewis and Clark for the history buffs.

While the river is maintained for navigation, in practice, there are few barges along the Missouri. Dikes and wing dams (revetments) have been installed along the river to keep it channelized, and they can be a threat to navigation. The river is marked with nav marks and there are plenty of places to anchor. There are, however, few marinas, and fewer still that will be open in October, so some of the river we plan to free-float through the fast current and use engines once in awhile to maintain position in the channel.

Any takers? Paul?

PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
Per our phone conversation, I will try to get some time off to make the Missouri float. The trailer is still not 100% from the wheel bearing failure in June; still waiting for the brake assembly. But then, there arn't any hills between Lake St. Louis and Sioux anyway! Understand you plan to start somewhere around late September and early October.
Looking forward to cruising (drifting?) with you and El again.
Duane,
Plan B
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane-

Not to be a wise guy, but I can't help but add this little comment. I'm sure you're aware of it when you think about it. Just a passing, or perhaps a braking thought for our fellow C-Dory readers.

"The trailer is still not 100% from the wheel bearing failure in June; still waiting for the brake assembly. But then, there arn't any hills between Lake St. Louis and Sioux anyway!"

All well and true, but the best reason (or at least tied for best reason) for having trailer brakes, is to be able to stop in an emergency.

Since the trailer (average combined weight for a CD-22 approximates 4300 lbs) is about equal to most tow vehicles (except you dudes with the 1 ton macho truck rigs), the stopping distance without trailer brakes would be doubled without them. If your stopping distance w/o the trailer is 265 feet at freeway speeds, and you add the trailer sans brakes and tow at the same speed (many of us do!), your stopping distance is now 530 feet. Where will that put you?

There is absolutely nothing that will give you a more helpless feeling than stepping on the brakes to avoid a crisis/potential accident in your path than the feeling that you're being helplessly pushed on into the danger with about half the braking power you're used to. Believe me, I've experienced it once or twice, and one of those times it was in the snow going downhill. This is an E-Ticket ride you want to avoid!!!

With the price of gas the way it is, it's tempting to try to get by with a minimal tow rig, as per several discussions to that effect. The best reason to keep the tow vehicle on the slightly hefty or better side is this exact problem, even more so that having the power for ease of towing during the hill climbs and hot weather, etc.

Just a thought for a lazy summer day! Joe

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
PlanB

City/Region: Lake St. Louis, MO
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan B
Photos: Plan B (Duane and Joanne)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
Well taken.
I guess I'm one of "those dudes with a macho truck rig". As for highway speeds, I prefer the road less traveled. And only one brake is inop, and a left one at that. I guess my stopping distance is 331', and the unequal braking force will (if I let it) pull me off the road, not into oncoming traffic.
Who knows, maybe the new brake may arrive before the trip.
Duane
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duane -
Still thinking of joining us on the navigable Missouri River (Ponca City south to St. Louis?) Drop us a line on our pocketmail address. We might be there around the first of October.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Corps of Engineers will close the Missouri River for navigation on October 8 -- darn! This means they will not release sufficient water from the dams in the Dakotas and Montana to maintain a navigable channel in the lower 735 miles of navigable river. A C-Dory, drawing only inches, might still cruise the river but the marinas we called along the river this week will be closing this weekend due to low water, and that means no gasoline for the last 600 miles of river. So, looks impossible this fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: