The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

retro-fit stove/water pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE PACE

City/Region: West River
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Peggy June
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: retro-fit stove/water pump Reply with quote

i bought my Dory without stove/refrigerator/water pump because I didn't want the hassle. Now I'm regretting my decision. Has anybody done a retrofit of Stove/ refrigerator/waterpump? Cost estimate?
Thanks -
Mike P
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get a wallas!!!!. if it was me I would install a gas cook top of some sort and a seperate heating unit with vents. I think that colobear has the seprate heating unit on his boat. As you can read on other post many folks have had problems with the wallas. I also dont like to cook on a heated surface. you can cook so much better with a open flame. I hate using a electric stove top at home. We got the wallas when bought the boat because it was there and a lot of poeple bragged about them. also I like the idea of heat and cooking in one unit. Hey it was a idea just not a good one. the wallas will heat the whole cabin but has a hard time heating the v-berth and we have a few cold nights in the winter. That said we did not freeze. I do think that a seperate heating unit with vents going to the v-berth would be better. If you can get the heat into the v-berth first you would use less heat and fuel to stay warm. just something to think about.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any choice you make will involve tradeoffs. Here are a few I know of, I am sure others can contribute more.

Wallas -- expensive, cranky, uses lots of electric as furnace (look into EcoFan alternative)

Propane -- cooks very well, use as heater requires external venting, fuel most dangerous alternative (settles to lowest point in boat & highly explosive)

Alcohol -- safe, low heat for cooking, not suitable for heating

I don't love my Wallas but I do think it is the best choice for me, given the alternatives, size of boat, etc.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

I like propane for it's instantaneous heat and ease of use. You just have to understand it, respect it, and engineer it properly into your boat, along with the required safety systems.

Take a look at this:

Click on the photo for the complete installation of the heater. The Cooking stove is a three burner Wedgewood RV unit. Sink is standard OEM from C-Dory.

P.S.- Tons of threads on heaters and stoves! Use the Search engine to sort them out. Every choice is a compromise of some sorts! If you live somewhere it's not too cold, a portable propane stove and a Mr. Buddy heater (with a window cracked open when in use), can get you operating for $200, and you don't have to cut holes or install anything! Store partially used canisters out of the cabin where any leakage would drain overboard!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have to give my 2cents worth.
If you plan on boating in cold and damp conditions the Wallas is your best choice. It draws air from the cabin for combustion and vents it overboard; it really keeps the moisture under control.
We cook on our stove all the time and find it quit capable, although small, you get use to it.
We use diesel out of the pump.
At night if the fan (which draws vary little volts by the way) noise bothers you open the lid and us an EcoFan on the cook top; on cold nights I’ll take the noise because the EcoFan doesn't cut the mustard.
As for keeping worm in the V-birth, bundle up.
We did however have some problems with our stove early on do to the fact that the boat was trailered over 10k miles in its first year and developed a couple of loose connection, but it has worked flawlessly all summer.
If I had to do it over again the Wallas would be the only choice even with its miscellaneous idiosyncrasies, it’s the best choice for a CD in my opinion.

Check it out http://www.scanmarineusa.com/wallas_stoves.html
Great service and lots of free advice and help if you run into problems.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: