The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Distance Trailer Towing without the Boat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlgray

City/Region: Marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Laurie Ann
Photos: Laurie Ann
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Distance Trailer Towing without the Boat Reply with quote

We will be dropping our boat in the Mississippi for an extended boat trip and then bringing the truck and trailer about 1,000 miles to meet it. When I have done a shorter trip, the empty trailer bounced so much it made for a very uncomfortable ride.

What can we do to make the ride smoother? I have heard of reducing the air pressure in the trailer tires or carrying a sizable weight on the trailer.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Distance Trailer Towing without the Boat Reply with quote

Hello,
I would make sure to have all the wheels on the trailer balanced. Lower the air pressure to lowest recomended setting. I'm guessing about thirty pounds. The weight thing would calm things down but outside of some sort of water tank that you could drain I'm at a loss. Good Luck!
D.D.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have electric/hydraulic brakes, remember to turn the gain down on the brake controller. Or you'll smoke the tyres.

We've towed our empty trailer over several bouncy roads and it tracked well. Don't have any specific answers, but it's a 7500# E-Z Loader, and a 3/4 ton truck.

Good luck, Boris
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance Trailer Towing without the Boat Reply with quote

jlgray wrote:

What can we do to make the ride smoother? I have heard of reducing the air pressure in the trailer tires or carrying a sizable weight on the trailer.

I wouldn't put any substantial weight on the trailer because it can only drop fuel mileage accordingly. I would, however, lower the tire pressures and balance the tires as recommended by the posters ahead of me.

Our dual axle Pacific trailer seems to track quite well and I've never felt any trailer bouncing transmitted to the tow vehicles I've used it with while empty.

2003 4Runner
2001 Silverado 2500
2006 E450 based Class C motorhome

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder if it is the type of suspension which is causing the "bouncing" issue. I have had that with some trailers in the past--but last year, towing an empty trailer 1200 miles it was no problem. This trailer had torsion axles, which seemed to cause less "bounce".

I believe that most of the mileage reduction is when pulling a trailer on level ground--is wind resistance. With some weight on the trailer and without wind resistance increase, the decrease in mileage will be much less than with the boat on the trailer.

On the other hand--it is often not practical to put weight on the trailer. Sand? Water? what do you put the "ballast" on or in?

I agree, drop the air pressure, and maybe drive slower...Incidently some of the freeways have segments which cause bounce, even with the boat on the trailer.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Incidently some of the freeways have segments which cause bounce, even with the boat on the trailer.

Yeah, they're called Interstates.

Boris
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope you can figure it out. When I towed my empty trailer back from Kent to Whidbey, it was an awful ride....

Mac
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tandem or triple axle trailer will tow much more evenly than a single axle trailer, which has much more of a tendency to bounce around on it's single point of contact on each side of the trailer.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would drop the air pressure and remove the tires from the front axle. I would think a heavier tandem trailer would run smoother, when empty on two tires than it would on four. Make sure you have clearance at the hubs. You even get a free set of spare tires for the trip. Thumbs Up Just strap em over the back axle for more weight.

Twice the tires = twice the bounce for every bump. My aluminum I beam tandem bounces like a basketball just going across the parking lot after a launch.

If you have side bunks. You might run a strap or rope across the front and rear of those to keep tension. This will help cut down on those vibrating back and forth when the trailer bounces.

thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote with Joe--the tandem axle trailers are smoother when towed light. The more road contact--just be sure that both wheels are equally on the ground--and that may mean a different tongue height. Many trailers will run on one set of wheels when unloaded--and this may be the case in your trailer when you ran light before.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one single, two tandem, and one triple axle trailer, and the tandems and triple run much smoother than the single unloaded. The triple is even significantly smoother than the two tandems!

That experience, plus the logical analysis of why the increased number of axles resist bouncing around on a single tire on each side, led me to my post above.

The more axles you have, the more the trailer will "crawl" over the humps, bumps, and potholes. This is opposed to the single axle trailer where a single wheel / point of contact on each side "launches" on each significant road irregularity.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Not to mention that each additional axle increases the weight substantially!

John
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with C-WEED, just run tires on one axle. Less chance of brake lock up, the tires are less likely to start cupping and the tires and suspension will be a little closer to their designed load. Many semi-trailers have air lift axles for just that reason.
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are apparently at least two or more different theories as to how to best get a good ride out of an empty trailer.

I suspect that the best method may depend on your exact combination of trailer and tow vehicle, so the recommendation would be to try the various suggestions and see which one works best for your set up and driving style.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, that the folks who propose running on one axle, have 22's--lighter boats and trailers, than those of us who have larger trailers, more like what the Ranger Tug will have.

I can see lots of problems with pulling the wheels and holding up the axles--not sure that brake lock up is more likely with the wheels off. I don't know about the cupping. I did have some of that on my trandem last year--no load for 1200 miles--about 4000 miles with a load--and the wear didn't show up until we were near the end of the trip. I have also had cupping on the front wheels of my Honda Pilot which I have towed behind my RV more than I have driven.

I thought that the lift axles were for over load--not taking wheels off the road when traveling light....At least that is how they are used in Florida.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: