The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Carburated vs EFI (Honda -- 2006 or 2007?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannabeowner2 wrote:
Quote:
you've really got to neglect them before the carbs are an issue (this isn't the same on the BF40/50).

Hey, Les. Your well written (as usual) post caught my eye on the above words re: maintenance on the BF40/50. Sioux and I are torn between buying a used 16 (which almost always on the 16 means a BF40/50) or new and going with EFI.

I know with your C-Dory issues you have no financial incentive to help us out here so I'll fall back on your good nature. Could you briefly address any "issues" for prospective buyers of a used BF40/50?

Thank you in advance, Les.

Steve

PS Not to hi-jack the thread but I'd appreciate any other viewpoints on this subject too. If the administrators think this post should go on a separate thread have at it!

NOTE: We are still evaluating our options on used 16's, either Cruisers or Anglers. So if someone is thinking about selling and wants a quick cash deal drop me an e-mail at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com (On edit I see that I still need to change my tag line to the "elusive 16"!)

Hi Steve,

I wouldn't personally NOT buy a CD16 because it had a BF40/50 "A" model carb engine on it. They were and are great engines. Any individual specimen may or may not be a "good" engine but you can't apply that to all of them (just as you won't be able to when there are many used "D" model EFI BF40/50s out there). The advantage the carb model will have on a CD16, espcially the Cruiser model, is weight (less of it). It's only about 10 pounds but on a CD16 pounds count so keep the kicker small too if it has one. The advantage the EFI model will have is a much larger alternator (not typically needed on the CD16), maybe a bit better fuel mileage (I think this is going to be illusive), and the instant starting the EFI has (though if started properly the "A" model is not difficult).

Bottom line...I wouldn't let the engine dictate my choice in this situation. Either find a good used CD16 you're happy with and buy it or decide you'd really be a lot happier with an all-new rig (regardless of engine).

www.marinautboats.com
ppriest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now have almost 90 hours on the J.C.Lately which was acquired from Les with one of his last BF90s. This is my first experience with an outboard (since the 1950s!) and I am continuously amazed by how civilized the engine is. I opted for an old and proven design in lieu of a newer and better(?) one; and so far have no reason to question the wisdom of that decision.
One thing - it's quite sensitive to throttle position to achieve the rapid idle, so I've stuck a piece of tape on the side of the throttle quadrant to remind myself of just where the handle needs to be in order to start on the first crank.
It's a nice piece of machinery - consider what else you might acquire for the $2k difference.

Paul Priest
Sequim
tpbrady

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bidarka II
Photos: Bidarka
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les,

Being a BF90D owner, could you elaborate on this comment:

The BF90D needs to be propped for max rpm (6300) or the EFI program does not work correctly in some applications (the CD22 generally being one of them).

I tend to agree it doesn't work correctly in some applications. My experience is full consumption spikes significantly beyond 3900-4000 rpm depending on prop pitch and load to where it consumes more than a BF90A until you get up to 90% of WOT.

38 Trawler Mia Terra 2012-2015
42 Nordic Tug 2015-
28 KingFisher 2009-2014
14 Jetcraft 2000-
17 Scanoe 1981-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: