The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Flat Bottom Skiff vs. C-Dory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrf

City/Region: NE Oklahoma
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Flat Bottom Skiff vs. C-Dory Reply with quote

When I first considered a boat and first asked advice from friends (my desires/requirements are more refined now) one of the first boats suggested was a long Carolina Skiff.

They have some with a bit of a vee, but originally were flat bottom boats, basically to me, a fiberglass Jon Boat.

When talking to folks about operating these in less than glassy smooth water I was told you just back off the throttle, get the nose up and let the hull do its job.

I think ya'll might find that to be a familiar statement.

As I read more on the C-Dory, I find it is a flat bottom hull with a unique bow more suited to your rougher off shore conditions.

In an inland impoundment with some wave action due to wind then compounded with wakes of skiers and other pleasure craft, no tidal activity, would a C-Dory not be pretty much a skiff with a cabin and a really cute nose? Would it be very similar to a flat bottom skiff of the same dimension carrying the same load? It appears to me that the bow of the C-Dory would not be a significant difference during times when you run with your vee portion of the bow high and dry.

Please don't take the comparison as an insult. Every boat has its place. I don't want a skiff because the sides aren't tall enough and I don't want a flat front like an airboat.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrf-

Lots more qualified than I to comment but I's the first. The stern may be flat and carry forward a bit but it quickly turns into a non-dory hull and rides much better than a Carolina Skiff (I've ridden in/driven those too). Our sides are a lot higher, you really feel comfortable in the cockpit and in the cabin with the sides around you.

Find someone in OK to take you for a ride, you'll soon see the difference, if you've ridden in a true skiff hull.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
KenMcC

State or Province: NM
C-Dory Year: 1999
Photos: Vivien C
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carolina Skiff is truly a glorified Jon Boat.

Very stable. Low freeboard. Economical to run (planes early).

With a C-Dory, you can lower the bow in a chop and at least reduce the amount of pounding in a chop. Not a whole lot, but at least some.

The standard (unmodified) Carolina Skiff is pretty much flat bottomed all the way from stern to bow. It'll pound, regardless, unless you're in pretty flat water.

Good boat if you're going clammin' in the bays. But not very versatile in other conditions.

Great for duck hunting, bay fishing, river fishing, and such, but not a boat that I would characterize as being "seaworthy".

Had a clammer friend who had one, and I don't think I would want to go "outside" in one.

Ken
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your OKie lakes and rivers should pose no problem at all for a C-Dory hull. We run ours all the time on inland lakes and rivers and can usually run full throttle. When we get out on Lake Erie, though, we have to throttle back significantly. But I don't see any Great Lakes near Oklahoma.

-- Chuck
jrf

City/Region: NE Oklahoma
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Okie Lakes and Amelia Ann Reply with quote

Thank-you Chuck for posting your pictures of Amelia Ann. She's a nice looking boat and your photos of the cabin area help a lot for visualizing what these boats are. There are good photos of an Angler 16 also (D something) that shows the cabin and cuby hole.

Thanks to others for posting too. Very helpful are the photos that have people in the boats because gives a better sense of scale or perspective for size.

I saw one photo somewhere with a man sitting on the bow of his boat (16 feet I think) and he almost covered up the whole bow. He was with a group of other boaters.

I've never seen one of these and am trying to relate to those that I am more familiar with. I'm not a nautical person and am inexperienced in boating. I'm sure the C-Dory is a seaworthy boat, hense my interest.

Closest dealer is St. Louis at about 450 miles, next is New Mexico at around 850 miles, one way. You're not gonna see many of these in Oklahoma, especially used.

Its amazing how many folks can get themselves in trouble by having a boat not up to conditions when the conditions change. Odd it usually gets blamed on the boat or the weather instead of ignorance. I don't intend to find myself in that predicament.

We have a lot of large impoundments within a day drive of here. Some are very large and the weather changes quickly. Sometimes finding shelter means making it back to where you parked your trailer-I consider that optional.

Striped Bass is a big business on Lake Texoma on the Red River between TX and OK with the Washita as a major tributary. Its no Lake Erie, but its big. Lake Murray in the Arbuckle Mts near Ardmore is a nice divers lake. It feeds into a trib going into Texoma.

Large stripers are also found on the McKlellan Kerr Navigation Channel in Eastern OK. Lake Tenkeller, another clear divers lake on the Illinois River feeds the Lower Illinois with good cold water. This area gets stocked with Rainbow and Brown trout. The Lower Illinois dumps into the Nav Channel near Gore, OK. The stripers like to feed on those trout.

This Nav Channel carries tows two wide ??I think?? in both directions. Its a series of about 19-20 locks from ?Mississippi River? up to Ft Smith, Ark then up the Arkansas River in OK and up the Grand/Neosho and the Verdigris to the middle of the Heartland just outside Tulsa. It'll carry grain, fertilizer, coal, etc, even the military at times. A lot of folks don't know that you can actually get to Tulsa by boat (actually Port of Catoosa).

Oologah Lake which covered up Oklahoma's favorite son's home, Will Rogers, is near my home (twenty minutes). Its a favored sailing lake. Long axis is situated in line with the prevailing winds. It turns into a nasty lake real fast with our instant changes in the weather. There's only one marina on the lake. Several boat ramps though.

We too have a Lake Eufaula. Its another big one. Not being much experienced in boating, I do consider this lake as being highly representative of Oklahoma's variety. Oklahoma goes from mountainous (Ozarks) to near desert (Great Salt Plains) and pine forests to hardwoods to salt cedars to nothing and from rock to mud to sand.

We don't have an ocean, and we don't have snow topped mountains, but we've got darn near everything else, and being in the middle as we are, those things that might be missed aren't really too far away. God I love this country.

I grew up travelling. By the time I got in jr. high school I'd been in every state but three and lived in most of them. Was in Alaska 67/68.

No matter where one goes, until man grows gills, water bodies present a danger.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRF:

I bought this boat from Butch at Morgan Marine:

For me it is salvage and adventure boat #4. I use them hard, am very happy with it. None of the rest put a smile on my face like this one does though -- there is just something about it.

You are incorrect in one statement: "You're not gonna see many of these in Oklahoma . . ." -- take out "in Oklahoma" and you've got it. I have people stop everywhere to talk about this boat, be photographed with it, etc. They simply cannot resist it (I guess we are all included in the C-Dory affliction).

You won't do this in a skiff:

Good luck with your purchase,

Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I like the color.
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM:

You too? I think we're in "select" company . . . It's good to be different! Matt

PS: I was really pleased to get that color -- more "Yellow Fever" . . . Oregon gold -- Umpqua River.

Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 16 foot C-Dories are competent boats in all conditions, they ride like corks in rough weather and with the drop curtain down in back are snug and dry even in heavy rain. These are actually 15'11" long and have positive foam floatation in the event something really, really bad happens. Either is nicely powered by a Honda 50 (or 40).

The 16 Cruiser gives up 2 feet of cockpit space for two more feet in the cabin and results in a very small cockpit. We're not fishing types and thought the berth would be handy. Have not yet slept onboard but the area provides a lot of storage space when we're day tripping and will shelter a 3d person easily. The little table serves well as a chart table when're exploring places like the Ohio River.

The 16 Angler has a "massive" cockpit by comparison to the Cruiser and what little storage space there is can be secured. The Angler dash is quite shallow but there's dash available on both sides. No storeage under the seats, they're on pedestals.

For a bit (OK, a lot) more money you can get the 19 Angler which has the berth of the 22 and seating for 2+2. There's an '04 in stock in St Louis. Much more boat than the 16 in either variety.

-- Chuck
Captain Rich

C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: On_Line_Systems
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: C-Dory vs Flat bottom skiff Reply with quote

Hi Cap'n Rich here.

I'm a 'rabid' fisherman live in Fl. and boat n' fish year round.

I've owned a flat bottomed skiff. They do all that they say. They're fuel efficient, shallow runners, stable platforms etc. They will also redefine 'rough ride' for you.

When the weather brews up and you have to slow down, it makes for a long time real time Horror Show.

I now own a C-Dory. It's shallow draft, comfy, dry and a treasure to ride & fish.

If weather brews, I button up, sit back, sip my coffee and while maybe I don't exactly enjoy the ride I'm a lot more comfy AND SAFE than in my skiff.

Having had both, it's no contest, pure and simple. C-Dory's RULE!!!!

Cap'n Rich .)
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own a 16' carolina skiff with 50HP Merc 4 stroke and it's great for fishing calm waters, crabbing, claming and the like. It would have to be a really calm day before I venture outside in it. In rough water expect to get wet. I can trim the bow and the ride is not bad in 2 foot seas if you aren't in a hurry. I'm in the next day or two going to purchase a 16' C-Dory Crusier for day trips on the ICW. Been looking at these boats for years and just can hold back anymore. I'm keeping my Carolina Skiff strickly for fishing. This is a great web site and has made my decision to purchase the C-Dory. Not to hijack the thread but do the 16's have any problems with porposing with a 50 Honda? Had to put a whale tail on my C S to prevent it.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Marvin! I can't answer your question, but I'm sure one of the owners of a 16 will chime in soon.

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin – I think you will be much happier with the handling and ride of your boat, if you put the Permatrim on it. I found that the boat porpoised a lot unless you constantly adjusted your weight as your speed changed. I made a Permatrim and installed it before I went out in the boat the second time. As far as I am concerned, it is the best add on I have made to my boat.

PS Welcome to the site, glad to have you aboard.

________
Dave
billwoodhouse

City/Region: Hampstead
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: OJOS VERDES
Photos: Ojos Verdes
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no fan of the Georgia Bathtub (aka, Carolina Skiff), but if you don't want to spend much money, don't mind getting wet (or cold, seasonally) and are only into fishing, take a look at the review of the 258 by Dean Travis Clark in the June 2006 Sportfishing magazine. He says CS "has refined its flat-bottom design to correct the ride difficulty. . ." This is probably too much boat for Oklahoma, and I don't know if the redesign applies to other models, but here is another line of research. Best Wishes, Bill
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave for the advice. I'm picking the boat up monday morning and will be taking a 70 mile crusie from the dealership to my dock. I'll be in some pretty big water on the St Johns River and then the ICW. Should give me a pretty good assesment of the boats handling characteristics. I asked the dealer about porposing problems and he said there were none. Of course what would he say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: