The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Scary trailer incident
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Thieme

City/Region: Boulder
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rambler
Photos: Rambler
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another scary trailer incident.

Aa few years ago towing a C-22 on an EZ Loader I stopped to find the information on where to launch which was in the boat.

As I walked back to the boat I saw one of the bolts that holds the front cross piece with the rollers to the frame was missing and the cross piece was almost on the ground at one side! The bow stop was holding most of the weight.

With some help from strangers who said they too were boaters we jacked up the cross piece and installed a new bolt.

At home I removed the bolts from the front and rear cross pieces and replaced them with Grade 8 bolts inserted so the nuts were now on the outside where they are easy to see. I also double nutted and used lock tight on the locking nuts.

Looking at other EZ Loader trailers rated for heavier loads I saw the same size bolts were used so I think the bolt didn't break but the nut came off.

Ed
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I thought replacing all my rusty old bolts with new ones was a good thing.....guess a little rust just might be about the best lock-tite there is! Laughing

I do know that it is not a good idea to put on lock nuts with an impact wrench as they will frequently dislodge the nylon ring. Hand tightening is best.

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: