The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Running with the boat plug inserted from the outside?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have had the plugs both ways. It is now on the outside. Never (yet) had a problem.

Fred

Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, Was it painful? Embarassed

Merv

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merv,

I was referring to the rear end of my boat, not my a.....

Fred
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,
Sorry, just couldn't resist that one. Laughing
Merv
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: plug in/out Reply with quote

My score.......ME plug in = 650+ ; plug lost = 1

I put mine in from the outside.

The lost one was when anchored 10 miles from shore in a 5 knot current. Logs/brush/kelp going under the boat and somehow ????(Murphys Law) it caught my lever up plug and pulled it out. After a fast dive inside between the tanks I inserted my finger. Wife gave me a back up plug and you guessed it.......... finger stuck in hole. After a few minutes of relaxing it came out and extra plug went in.
I keep 3 extra plugs in the motor well just in case.

Just before going onto my trailer I dump 5 gals. of water on the deck with a little scrubbing action. After pulling out I pull the plug. Going home up a steep hill and around some corners all of the fish mung goes out the hole.

Works for me.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
siddfynch

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: XerxSeas
Photos: Xerxseas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys.

Jack, seems like you have my exact model of boat and are also in Anchorage. Any chance I could look at your setup one of these days?
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Stop by Reply with quote

siddfynch,

No problem. In the summer we live in Ninilchik, MP 138.1 Sterling Hyw. then west up the hill about 300 ft. to
17405 Tidal Knoll Road at the top of the hill. Stop by for a chat and look see.

Jack
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack,

I like your score, and though I'm along ways from 650, I might be convinced to try a "T twist" plug, although the lever has been fine for me this far. (It is always up) and there is one spare in the drawer above the water tank, and one in the tool case.

OH, and the finger thing, the little Dutch boy would have been proud Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Alasgun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Running with the boat plug inserted from the outside Reply with quote

If your the least bit nervous about the plug, it's a very simple task to change it over to the screw type. Once epoxied in place you will be dealing with a better sealing, more secure plug!
Mike
Jack in Alaska

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
I have considered installing a threaded plug set-up many times but with the relative fool proof success with my present procedure I have not got it done.
Do you take out the brass sleeve and then epoxy in a threaded body to accept a threaded plug???
Thanks, Jack
Alasgun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Running with the plug on the outside Reply with quote

Jack;
Those brass tubes as installed by C-dory are not that hard to remove, even if they were sealed well which mine were not! Get a drill bit that is just a bit larger than the Inside of the tube and run it into the existing brass tube. It will either grab and start turning the brass tube or it will drill it out. My boat actually had one piece from the outside and one from the inside? They met in the middle.
Once the hole is cleaned out you can rasp away the remaining goop and rotten wood that surely will be there if the original was not sealed. A small window fan positioned to blow thru the hole for a day or so assures you the surface is dry and will accept the epoxy.
There are numerous "store bought' drain pieces ready to glue in place, they can be found in the marine catalogs or at West Marine. You probably figured out by now, I made mine!
A lot of piece of mind is gained with a screw type plug and you will get the chance to clean up, dry and reseal a questionable area on you boat too.
If you can mix epoxy, you can do this, if you have any trouble locating the necessary components let me know. I'll build you one.
Mike
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Running with the boat plug ....... Reply with quote

Folks - I commented on another strand or whatever you call it. Even if the plug came out from the outside, all you would experience would be a couple of inches of water sloshing around in the cockpit. The flotation in the sole and the gas tanks will keep you from a serious amount of water coming in. If you don't believe me, pull your plug and see how much water really comes in. I did it by accident once. No really big problem. Now if a really large wave broke over the stern and put three feet of water in the cockpit, then yes you would have a serious problem, but a 22 CD won't go turtle. Once on Fort Peck where the waves get really high and nasty, I did back into one at the wrong time trying to help a fellow boater who had swamped and perhaps a foot and a half of water filled the cockpit. The boat did wallow around, but the bilge pump took care of that. These C-Dories are not like sailboats with huge amounts of ballast ready to take you under if you hole the hull. Perhaps not the equivalent of a Boston Whaler, but pretty darn close are these cored CDs. John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: