The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Running with the boat plug inserted from the outside?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siddfynch

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: XerxSeas
Photos: Xerxseas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Running with the boat plug inserted from the outside? Reply with quote

So I just bought my first C-Dory and it has a single above-board tank, installed under the splash well. It completely blocks access to the boat plug from the inside - not a chance of getting around there. My only guess is that the old owners must have run with the plug inserted from the outside.

Does anyone else have experience doing this? I've never done it, and it gives me the jitters to think about a plug falling out and having to go outside the boat to replace. Or is this a needless worry with the expandable boat plugs these days?
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Boat Plug Reply with quote

I have never run my boats with the plug inserted from the inside. Shocked Never had one come out. Have had it leak a little because I didn't tighten enough. Shocked Some times I seem to over tighten. Sad
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is akin to the preverbial "Pandora's Box" but it may help to relive your stress to know that it is possible to run with the plug on the outside. I have done it for years, never lost one. I use the lever action, set quite firm, and with the lever up, vertical, next to the transom, to decrease the chance of it getting tangled with anything.

The next response here will obviously be someone who must put the plug on the inside, and it will have to be a twist type Wink Least that is what my crystal ball is showing at the moment Embarrased

Good luck, and just remember, Boating is alway better with the plug in the transom hole than in the pickup Rolling Eyes

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expandable plug has been around at least 60 years--and for the most part I have inserted it from the outside--especially in larger boats. I prefer the "T" handle plug, vs the "L" lever plug. Keep it tight when you put it in and it should stay. However, always carry an extra plug, as well as tapered wooden plugs for all thru hull holes.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
siddfynch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Great responses, thanks.

Point taken about the set of tapered plugs.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While my thought processes continually say that having the plug accessible inside the hull is best, I have had many very large boats - in the 30 foot range - for 12-14 years with plugs on the outside which have caused not a problem at all.

I guess one could also say that the the outside water pressure, albeit small, would want to seat the outside plug and 'unseat' the inside plug.

At any rate, if you don't have easy inside access, then outside is the way to go.

Like Dr. Bob of Thataway, I prefer the "T" twist locking type over the lever locking type. I've had the lever lock plugs pop out of my kayaks before.

This question ranks up there with "dual or single outboards", "16 vs. 19 vs. 22 vs 23 vs 25 vs 26 vs TomCat", and all the other persistent sea queries.

John
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siddfynch,
I just resurrected a previous thread about this subject. As others have pointed out you really don't have much of an option because of the difficult access from inside your vessel.

C-Brat #16
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:

Like Dr. Bob of Thataway, I prefer the "T" twist locking type over the lever locking type. I've had the lever lock plugs pop out of my kayaks before.

I've had the flip lever type "disappear" on an earlier SOB ski boat when we hit a batch of kelp while tooling about the bay here. Since then I too use the "T" twist type. Feces occurs when kelp is involved. Inside/outside - I don't care as long as my spare is kept close to the inside hole.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
siddfynch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjohn71a wrote:

This question ranks up there with "dual or single outboards", "16 vs. 19 vs. 22 vs 23 vs 25 vs 26 vs TomCat", and all the other persistent sea queries.

John

I'll try to get better at teh search function on this site. I've spent about 12 hours searching for the answers to 15 or 20 questions, and am down to about 5 or 6. Sorry if I have missed an obvious one.
siddfynch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS wrote:
siddfynch,
I just resurrected a previous thread about this subject. As others have pointed out you really don't have much of an option because of the difficult access from inside your vessel.

Well, the one option I was considering was to replace the rear tank with dual side tanks....but after hearing that others run plugged from the outside, I'll go ahead and leave my configuration as is.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY $0.02:

T-PLUG ON OUTSIDE!

VERY DIFFICULT ACCESS FROM INSIDE.

EASIER TO PULL WHEN DRAINING AND/OR FLUSHING OUT HULL.

KEEP A SPARE HANDY!

IF YOUR AN OLD, MEMORY CHALLENGED FART LIKE ME, CLIP THE REMOVED PLUG TO YOUR BOAT KEYS OR SOMETHING ELSE YOU HAVE TO USE BEFORE YOU CAN PUT THE BOAT IN THE WATER.

I HAVE ONLY LAUNCHED ONCE W/O THE PLUG, THE FIRST TIME AFTER BUYING THE BOAT. SCRAMBLED UP AND LEANED OVER THE TRANSOM FROM THE ENGINE WELL TO REPLACE PLUG.

NOW THAT I'M, 66, NOT 56, THAT'S NOT AN OPTION.

SCRORE: ME= 200+, PLUG = 1!

(Please excuse the all capitals!)

JOE. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rjmcnabb

City/Region: Pender Island (Southern Gulf Islands)
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Luna
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got our boat, an extra, threaded bronze screw-plug for the drain was taped to a spoke on the helm wheel. I thought that was a great idea for keeping it handy. Eventually, the tape failed and the plug fell off, so I took the occasion to insert it into the inside of the cockpit drain hole; there was a little water in the bilge that the pump couldn't get, and in case it was not rain water I decided a second plug in there was warranted. That plug was too big to fit. This raises the question, which I have not tried to answer with the boat in the water: do inner and outer plug threads differ? I just stuck a short rubber sink stopper into the inner hole until I find out. I guess the moral here is: don't assume an expansible plug will necessarily fit well from both sides, either.
Rod & Jane; Victoria 18 sloop (Vickie) - gone; Islander 26 Bahama sloop (Callisto) - gone; WW Potter 19 sloop (Spring) - gone; Com-Pac 16 sloop (Bummer II) - gone; Nimble 24 yawl (Chatelaine) - gone; Nimble Vagabond cruiser (Loligo) - gone; C-Dory 22 Cruiser (NoddyBleu) - gone; Com-Pac 19 sloop ('Winkle) - gone; San Juan 24 sloop (Loligo^2) - gone; C-Dory 16 cruiser (Luna); Catalina Capri 18 sloop (Later)
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My drain plug is inserted from the inside between the two fuel tanks. It is a "T" type. A second is velcroed right beside the drain hole where I can grab it in an emergency. But I have to say, my plug lives permanently in the hole. It is only removed about once a year for PM, lubricated, checked for rot, and reinserted. I don't see the point of taking it out every trip.
ppriest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drain fitting on the J.C.Lately (mfd late 2006) is a bronze pipe thread and came with a bronze 1/2 NPT plug which installs from the outside. [Remember pipe threads are tapered and the plugs will only go in from one direction.]
After finding that: 1) the boat runs quite dry; 2) it sits quite flat on the trailer bunks; and 3) it really doesn't empty with the plug removed anyway; I quit taking the plug out and reinstalling it every time we returned.
This practice has the noteworthy benefit of removing "left the plug out" from the List of Potential Failures.
I've quit wondering why the factory installed it in favor of puzzling over a number of other items.

Paul Priest
Sequim
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always run them on the outside.

One time I forgot to insert it, while fishing noticed water, what a dumbass, spare at home. Used a carrot to fill hole, good enough to keep fishing and get 2 salmon. From then on a spare (or 2) in the toolbox. Has been handy for friends in need.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: