The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hyundai Sonata towing a 16' Cruiser??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wannabeowner2

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Hyundai Sonata towing a 16' Cruiser?? Reply with quote

Yes, folks, another interminable "is it possible/wise" to tow this boat with this car question. Sioux and I have (pretty much) arrived at a 16' Cruiser for our first C-Dory. We've also shopped pretty extensively for a new car and feel like a 2009 Hyundai Sonata will work for us. (Long warranty, good ride, decent mileage, etc.) One thing that led us to the 16' is to not have yet one more vehicle to feed just for occasional towing.

The Car: The Sonata has a 4 cylinder motor with 175 hp and 168 ft-lbs of torque with a curb weight of 3266 pounds. This model is rated for towing 1500 pounds.

The Boat: 16' Cruiser (925#), Honda 50 hp (200#?), aluminum EZ Loader plus misc I'm guessing a total weight around 1400 pounds. Mostly just towing around the Missouri-Kansas area and we're not speed demons.

We haven't bought either one of the above so would really appreciate the collective wisdom from this very special group. What say all of you? Thanks for all your advice and support.

Steve Toburen
Omnipresent Lurker

PS If anyone is thinking about getting out of a good condition 16' Angler I would be interested in talking with you. 816-588-0211 We're mostly going with the Cruiser because more of them are available.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pulling one for several years with a 15 year old 4 cylinder 114 hp Volvo.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Towing Reply with quote

Check what the manufacturer suggest for maximum towing capacity. Keep in mind that the figure the manufacturer sets includes, passengers in the vehicle, all your personal belongings and what your towing. It can really add up quickly. In addition, you should have some room for error. Make sure to get the factory tow package as this often includes over sized radiators, oil coolers, and the appropriate wiring to the hitch.
Volvos and Saabs are over built, the swedish use their cars like we use our trucks. I owns a 9-3 4cyl and it's towing capacity is 3500lbs. Pretty good for a smaller passenger car.
Good luck and happy hunting!
Bill Uffelman

City/Region: Las Vegas
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the Sonata tow capacity issue may be unibody construction with no frame. Effectively the trailer hitch is hanging off sheet metal rather than frame rails.

The best hauler for my Ranger 20 sailboats was a 1974 Volvo 144 4 cyliner 4 speed. The boat, 4 hp motor and trailer package probably weighed about the same as the CD 16 as it had a 200 pound encapsulated keel.

Bill Uffelman
Las Vegas NV
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: towing Reply with quote

The weight of a 15-17 trailer should be about 450-700lb depending whether you get alum or galv trl with or without brakes . the honda motor 50 is about 225-250 ,

I think you would be a little over your sonata's 1500lb tow rating I think it's all about the unibody construction of the car . The eng . and trans should do it . If you buy this car make sure you put a trans cooler and good luck to you .My 2004 toyota camry will tow 2000lb I would look around maybe at the Tuscon Hyundai it has a 3500lb tow rating or some of the other brands

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed mine with a 1995 toyota 4 cylinder 4 wheel drive pickup (the small one) and it did fine. Only once did I feel threatened and that was making a panic stop going down a steep grade. The boat tried to overtake the truck, so you have to be careful on the braking issues when towing with a light vehicle.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hyundai Sonata towing a 16' Cruiser?? Reply with quote

wannabeowner2 wrote:

The Boat: 16' Cruiser (925#), Honda 50 hp (200#?), aluminum EZ Loader plus misc I'm guessing a total weight around 1400 pounds.

Steve, the following are the weights of my former "Sea Shift" (a 16' Cruiser).
16' Cruiser......................................925#
50HP Honda + 8HP Honda Kicker.......330# (including battery)
Fuel (15 gals @ 6#).......................... 90#
EZ Loader Trailer.............................453#

Total weight....................................1793#

On top of that add in all the personal "essentials" (cooler of iced beer Beer , wine Cocktail for your wife, food, etc. etc.) that you keep on your boat Wink .

Hope this is a bit of a realistic help.

P.S. I see on your "sign off" notation that you are also seeking the elusive 22"...if that's the case there are quite a few used 22's for sale that I'm sure are in fine shape...but then that will for sure mean a larger tow rig than you are contemplating. (I started with the 16', then got a larger tow rig, then purchased the 22', and then had to construct a larger shop to keep it all out of the weather). Probably an expensive way to get a large shop, which I'd wanted for 30 years, but I'm REALLY SMILING now... Laughing )

C-Brat #16
wannabeowner2

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are a tough crowd. But I want to hear the truth and it sounds like even a 16 might be pushing it for a Sonata. However, we do have a 2006 Chrysler mini-van rated for 2000 pounds with a 3.3 liter 6 cylinder so that may be the way to go.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

PS Yep, Dave, I guess I better change my sign-off line. We long for a 22 and it isn't even money/ tow vehicle keeping us away from one. Rather, we are full time care givers to my mother-in-law here in Kansas City and it appears our chances of the Inside Passge, etc are remote any time in the near future. So it seemed like a 16 might be a good way to get our feet wet and (hopefully) be easily saleable/ tradeable in the future if we want to move up.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannabeowner2 wrote:
So it seemed like a 16 might be a good way to get our feet wet and (hopefully) be easily saleable/ tradeable in the future if we want to move up.

Doing it this way is not entirely bad. That is the way we got started with C-Dory. When we did make the move to the 22', we advertised the 16' through this site, but the individual that purchased from us was referred to us by Les at EQ Marine and since the 16' was already paid off, we had a healthy head start on the purchase price of the new 22' which we purchased from EQ Marine.
Steve Grover

City/Region: Lake Tahoe
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Tee Ten
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: My $.02 Reply with quote

I tow several things. A Scamp 19' trailer (3500 lbs) and a 19' C-Dory and trailer.
I want all the tow power I can can get. Now I tow with a Dodge Dakota 4.7 V-8. We towed a Scamp 13"er ( loaded 2000 lbs ) with a 4 cyl. for awhile. Then moved up to the Dodge. Towed our C-Dory 16 for awhile. If you have not purchased your tow vehicle yet, get the TV that will tow a 22'er with no problem, now. I can assure you that you will want more power later. If you don't move up to the 22 you can have some left over power. You will enjoy the tow experience much better with over kill than under. There are so many good buys out there for really good vehicles for towing. Don't just make it, Go for the full monty Surprised
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 16 ft boat with a factory stated weight of 835#. I weighed it right after I bought it with maybe 10 gal of gas, fire extinguisher, 2 light life jackets, and the galvanized trailer. The unit weighed 2140#. It is probably more than 100# heavier now with my stuff in it.

Steve Grover is right. Get a bigger tow vehicle with extra weight towing capacity. It will make towing a much more pleasant experience. My tow vehicle would have no problem towing a Tomcat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: