The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Titan Tires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbwf

City/Region: West Chester
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger Toy
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Titan Tires? Reply with quote

My wife and I are hanging around here as we lay the ground work to purchase our first boat. A C-Dory or Ranger 21 is in our future for sure but in the meantime we already own a pop up camper that weighs 3000 lbs fully loaded.

Because towing a trailer is towing a trailer I was hoping some of you may have opinions about tires. My camper currently has ST 175/80 R13 Carlisle's and it is time to shop for new sneakers. I would like to step up to ST 185/80 R13's for the additional load capacity of the larger 13's. I can get a deal on Titan tires already mounted on rims and would just like to know if any one has any experience with Titan tires on their boat trailers.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Goggle on Titan Tires and saw a lot of positive comments. I have been using Goodyear Marathon on my EZ-Loader trailer and have no complaints.
Chuck

mbwf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chuck.

I have been doing some home work myself but it is always good to get some feedback from people who have had real world experience. I have learned that you can't always believe what you read on the internet.

That being said, I am still considering the deal on Titan's mounted on new rims but will wait to see if anyone else has any opinions.

Thanks again,

Eric
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric

Most of our experience has been with the smaller 12" tires before the C-Dory and its Goodyear radial 6 ply's. They have been so far above anything else their well worth the extra price.

Many thousands of miles towing a variety of different trailers. One year over 1500 miles of dirt roads in the Yukon and Northwest Territories. Had nine flats and ruined three of the small tires. Had better luck with the Titans than with the Carlisle's, but more important than the brand is the ply rating and correct air pressure for load. They will easily puncture and wear out in the center of tread if over pressured and overheat and blow out if under pressured. The problem we encountered on the dirt roads was the B ply rated tires just couldn't resist the punctures even when the pressure was just right. Of course speed for conditions is the other big determining factor.

If the deal is good I would go with the Titons with small tires.

Jay

mbwf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay,

One could drive them self crazy with all of the hype and hoopla over tires. I just want to be safe. My families life and the lives of other families depend on it. My guess is that any tire manufacturer could have issues now and then but I have to believe that no company would want us riding around on ticking time bombs.

I am a firm believer in proper tow vehicle and trailer maintenance which includes checking tire pressures and vehicle weight limits and staying well within limits and guide lines. I also believe that maintaining a safe speed while towing has a lot to do with avoiding unnecessary tire failures.

I will most likely purchase the Titans because they seem no worse than many of their competitors and the fact that they are mounted on rims is hard to beat.

Thanks for your input.

Eric
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought four Carlisle 205 x 15 tires mounted on rims from Cabela's back about six years ago and have never had a problem with them. Don't do much more than a half dozen 300 mile round trips a year, though.

Cheap, too, about $92 each and only $11 shipping for all four from Nebraska!
Couldn't believe the freight, might have been an error. Today a 2 lb. package costs more than that to ship.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: