The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How deeply discounted are trucks now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: How deeply discounted are trucks now? Reply with quote

I really love my '02 Dodge Ram but it has become an unreliable tow vehicle, due to a computer part that repeatedly fails (it's the accelerator position sensor). I'm looking at a new GMC 2500 with the Duramax and Allison trans, which has received high marks from owners I've talked to and from Consumer Reports.

I have obtained a price quote through Cars Direct or Autobytel on a couple of candidate vehicles. I have also gotten the Consumer Reports report on this truck that provides MRSP, invoice, holdbacks, etc., etc. on the truck.

The truck I am most interested in has a MRSP of $47.3K and is being offered to me at $43.5K minus $3250 in rebates. This is a reasonable price when you work off of the Consumer Reports information. It's also very competitive with a price from another dealer for a similar truck. I do believe that the diesel trucks are being discounted less than the half-tons, SUVs, etc.

What I am trying to do is get a sense from the assembled multitudes is whether, given the unusual circumstances of today's market whether I can expect the dealer to go lower, and if so, how much? Supposedly the internet buying deal was to eliminate the negotiations and take you straight to the bottom line of what the dealer will take.

I am close to pulling the trigger on this deal but just would like some feedback.

Thanks, guys!
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40,000 for that vehicle sounds pretty good to me. You have to be getting close.
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Cannot comment on the pricing but I can endorse the choice. We bought one earlier this year and tow about the same weight as you do.
Biggest test so far was from here to Telegraph cove and back with absolutley no problems even through the mountain section.
That Allison Transmission is brilliant. Just put it in "tow" mode and hit the autopilot.
Just don't get too heavy with the right foot or you will burn a lot of rubber.

Merv

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: how deeply discounted are trucks right now Reply with quote

Hello,
I would just check out the same thing in a Chevy. Aren't they essentially the same? The heavier trucks don't get the discounts usually unless they have been laying around a while. Usually the deals get better the closer you get to end of a month.
D.D.
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check out edmunds.com you can price the vehicle with options and it will give you MSRP , Invoice, and most importantly what most people are paying for this vehicle, they call it "True Market Value". It's kind of helpful. Also, I would deal with the fleet manager (some are called the internet manager) as I have found them to be easier to deal with than the front line guys.
SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Warren
check out Dave Smith motors out of Kellog Idaho, he has some great buys
here is a current stock truck http://specials.usautosales.com/details.php?id=24688&cat=trucks&listtype=html

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: edmonds.com or dave smith Reply with quote

Good choice in truck. I use to sell those just a few months ago. To cut to the chase and get the best deal possible, there are two suggestions I have.
First check out edmonds.com and get a few quotes from local dealers through this site. Most dealers are willing to sell you instock trucks at or just slightly below invoice. Another great way to get a fabulous deal is to buy from the ads that come out on Friday. Usually these trucks are thousands below invoice, the deal trys to put a few in the paper hoping that you won't like the color or want something slightly different. In that case, they sell you the truck you want and move you back into profit.
I would suggest always buying from a local dealer. Reason being, in the event of a warranty claim you want to be able to take it to the local dealer. Warranty claims do not get paid the same as a paying customer. The shop accounts for this when taking in appointments. In the event that you bought from another dealer they may tell you that they are all booked out or can't get to you for a week. Local customers always get the priority first. This makes sense from a business standpoint as your local customer is your best customer. Another point about buying local is that sometimes in the unlikely event of a real issue with the truck sometimes you need the dealer to "go to bat" for you in dealing with the manufacturer. In the event that you have bought elsewhere they may not be in your corner so to speak.
The easiest way to purchase a truck at a good deal and avoid all the frustration of purchasing is to check out edmonds. Price out the truck you really want. Go to your local dealer with the print out in hand. Ask to speak to either the internet manager or sales manager. Advise them straight up, if you have or can obtain "this" truck I would be happy to purchase it from your dealership at, I would say, $200 under invoice minus the current rebates. This leaves enough profit in the truck for the dealer to sell it to you. They make a deal and their plates frames are on your truck instead of that Dave Smith guy.
In the event you'd like some more information please feel free to pm me and we can connect over the phone. I still stay in communication with the owner of the local Dodge dealership where I live. In the event your local dealer is unwilling to assist you with your new purchase I am confident in saying the above scenario is not a problem.
Good luck with your search and above all - have fun! Smile
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread really has me appreciating the deal that I got on my '06 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. Based on comments on this site about the Dodge diesel trucks, I went to the local Dodge dealer in May of '06 to do some browsing.

I spotted a brand-new, loaded, top-of-the-line, 4-door truck (which I now own), saw a price of $44,000 and turned and walked away. A salesman asked if there was a problem and I told him that my first house cost me a bit more than the price of the truck. At that point he told me that they were clearing them out and dropped the price to $32,000!

In addition, they took my '01 Ford F150 Supercrew, with 98,000 miles, on trade and gave me $14,000 for it. The next day I wrote them a check and have been happy ever since.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: edmonds.com or dave smith Reply with quote

bshillam wrote:

First check out edmonds.com and get a few quotes from local dealers through this site. Most dealers are willing to sell you instock trucks at or just slightly below invoice. Another great way to get a fabulous deal is to buy from the ads that come out on Friday. Usually these trucks are thousands below invoice, the deal trys to put a few in the paper hoping that you won't like the color or want something slightly different.

Exactly what I did back in 2000 when I purchased my one and only brand new vehicle (2000 Ford Explorer 4 dr) from the Lynnwood dealer. I took all the printed info/ad with me, showed up on Friday 15 minutes before they opened and waited. I told the saleman I wanted one of the three they had in the ad, at THAT price. He said they sold the red one. OK. I test drove a black one, asked what the "other" color was and he said white. Sold. Paid just shy of $25K while the exact "non-ad" ones were in the mid 30's. I suspect it was a dealer buy back SUV, so they got a kick back from Ford if they sold it quickly. Also, are you set on a brand new truck? I see a LOT of good, used trucks sitting in lots, parked w/ FOR SALE signs on 'em etc. I recently bought an '05 F-250 4X4 crew cab with 35K miles for $25K. Brand new it was $43K.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: how deeply discounted are trucks right now Reply with quote

Hello,
I was looking at these trucks also see below.
Hi Dave,
I priced up the Steel Gray 2500HD Crew Cab SLE 1. It has power seats, locking differential, trailer brake, diesel, 17 in alum wheels, cargo management and HD trailering. The MSRP is $46,640. You can buy it for $40,060 AND get the 3.9% Financing for 60 months. (I think you qualify for all these rebates) If you want to buy it without financing, It will be $38,560. Feel free to look at the website to see specifics on any of our trucks. We have a nice selection of 2500's. The red one you originally asked about is $1,000 less...Let me know what you think. Have a great night. Chrisie
This was from a New Jersey dealer contact CHRISIE PUGLIESE
GM Certified Internet Manager
Colonial Motors GMC
Rt. 22 West, Branchburg, NJ 08876
(908) 722-2700 EXT 110
chris@colonialmotorsgmc.com
www.colonialmotorsgmc.com
I hope this helps. D.D.
Frank 13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Warren,
This reply may be to late but,
I have been looking into tow vehicles the past couple of weeks. I am debating between the new Tundra and Chevy with D/A set up.
As you are probably aware GM is offering there "employee discounts" till 9-2-08.
Chevy D/A's listing for mid to upper forties (sticker MSRP) now have prices posted in there windows (was looking yesterday, Sunday) showing 10 to 11 thousand dollar reductions. And, IMHO I do not believe any price shown in the window is rock bottom. I.E., you can probably do better than 10 or 11K off.
Have you made any decisions yet?
Good luck,
Frank
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend a Dodge dealer was offering 2008 1500 trucks NEW at 50% off sticker!! and the bigger (2500) about 30-40% off sticker. Check out Sacramento Bee ads. Not sure we'll see this again
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been looking at new trucks---The sales people seem real hungry--even on the 3/4 ton trucks. I have found several "work trucks"--in the high teens/low 20's. Roll up windows, vinly upholustry etc. The extended cabs are about 21- 22K--somewhere between 7 to 8 K off list--with various discounts. This is certainly far better than I have seen in the past.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my sons lives in Houston and one of his friend's father has a Kansas City truck dealership. At one point this year they went 50 days without selling a single pickup truck!

Some of our nearby small town dealers around here have folded up and closed their doors - leaving a huge inventory of new pickup trucks. 30-40% discounts are common. Some nearby town dealers have actually commtted suicide and one just died of a heart attack. Pretty bleak to be caught with a huge inventory of tough to sell models.

John
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there is always a better deal to be found, but the best I found was a white crew cab 4WD 2LT (next to top of the line trim) GMC with Duramax & Allison, cargo management, dual zone climate (keeps the Admiral happy), HD towing, XM radio, OnStar, etc., etc. for $40,300. I would have preferred to buy a 1LT but the goodies on the 2LT are nice.

There were not very many trucks with this equipment available to choose from in the PNW. It's probably a different story for non-diesel trucks.

Please don't tell me I could have bought this truck for $35K elsewhere! Cry

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: