The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How to kill the stink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: How to kill the stink Reply with quote

Well my new holding tank has seen some action, and I'm wondering about the best chemicals you guys have found to kill the odor.

Thanks

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an RV forum a lot of people swear by "happy camper". I use the Thetford liquid and it does a little breaking down but does mask any odors. I haven't bought any "happy camper" yet as you have to mailorder it. But everyone says it actually has real chemical action.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use the Thetford formaldahyde-free stuff available at Wal-Mart. Liquid or powder - both work fine. Having fresh water to flush with makes a difference on the smell. We also use the RV quick-breakdown toilet paper.

If it's hot out, you'll use a bit more chemical. If you haven't used enough, you'll know it by the smell. If you've used too much, you'll know it by the smell of the chemical. They also make this stuff in pre-measured packets that you just toss it.

Not a big deal. Unless you don't use it. Wink
Ted Osborne

City/Region: Des Moines, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tabbycat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Thetford Aqua-Kem liquid. Never had any smell problems and it really breaks down the RV type toilet paper.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Stinky Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've used several products and have settled on Odorlos for the holding tank. It is inexpensive, you can get it in dry or liquid form and we've not had any problems with a smelly boat since we started using it.

A couple of other tips that I learned from other people. Use CP (Cleans Potty) from West Marine in your toilet from time to time, it help clean and keep the system in good shape. The other tip is that most of the bad smell from the system is from the seawater that you're using to flush. When you're not using your boat, the small organisms in the seawater die and create a smell from the toilet and lines.

Our procedure is to use the CP from time to time when using the toilet and put Odorlos in the holding tank. After each trip we flush the tank with fresh water until it's clean, put some fresh water and CP down the toilet and a fresh batch of Odorlos in the tank.

Since we started using doing it this way we have had no smells from the tank, toilet or lines.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
matt_unique

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Flush Reply with quote

The flush water on the Tomcat comes from the fresh water tank. Fortunately we don't have to deal with the seawater challenge!
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried the bacterial "enzyme" types of holding tank chemicals, but they are very fussy. On the sides of the tank, where it is drier they do not work. They can easily be overcome with the volume of input and take many days to process waste if the temperature is right, but may not work for weeks in extremely hot or cold weather.

The common Thetford formaldehyde based types seem to work the best in a variety of hulls and climates. Formaldehyde eventually breaks down into it's basic Carbon, Nitrogen, Hydrogen and Oxygen components. It is not a bane to the environment.

In order to treat and clean off any stray materials on the tank sides, you have to occasionally fill the tank full, treat it, slosh it around a bit, and drain it. When a boat rocks, a partially full holding tank will coat the tank sides with a bit of gunk on each roll. Since those areas are not treated by whatever chemical/bacteria you put into the tank (short of a full tank), they will smell.

You can also get a head spray nozzle "wand" to put into the tank or the head to wash off the tank walls.

John
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capt. matt
i think my friend byrdman would agree that a little c4 should clear up any remaining obtrusive odor. also, recommendation would be to read and understand the directions prior to use.
let me know how this works for you.
best regards
pat
lakelab

City/Region: DeLand
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is something we learned while bare boating in the BVI's . Everyone uses a product called " Fabulosa" . It is a multi-use cleaner and can be purchased at Lowes or some grocery stores. Pour a little bit in the head and flush. It works well and leaves a clean scent even in the Caribbean heat.

Frank

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon Pat, lets talk Airhead . They have a competitor now...... Natures Head . Our next sold 25 will be a composting boat......
Marc

Bad Boy

City/Region: Fresno
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Cat Fever
Photos: Cat Fever
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Best Product for Holding Tank Reply with quote

Matt,

The best product I have used is K.O. by Raritan. It is live aerobic bacteria. Also, it is important to provide as much air as possible to your holding tank. The stink develops from lack of air. If you feed more air into your holding tank, and use the live aerobic bacteria, there will be no smell.

I think the 5/8" hose used on most vents is mainly to allow you to empty your holding tank with a vacum pump. Otherwise, it is too small to feed air into the tank. I changed mine to a 1" hose, including the vent. If that is too much work, you can even prop the foot lever open while you are away from the boat to provide more air.

Big ships actually mechanically pump air into the bottom of their holding tanks for the purpose of preventing "holding tank stink".

Personally, I don't care for any of the treatments that mask the air. Look up the West Marine catalog and they have a small article about the different head and holding tank treatments.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use "Oderless" as the primary chemical in the holding tanks. I use CP (for cleaning the commode) and KO for the tank, after each prolonged use. One of the secrets is to fully flush out the tank (with fresh water) after each purge of the tank. If you do this, and keep the vent line clear, there should be no major odor problem. Keep in mind that the Tom Cat and newer C Dories have the 10 gallon tank of the Sea Land toilet in the bottom of the commode- vs the holding tanks of the earlier C Dory 25.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Wastewater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: