The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

C-Dory prices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrmccastle

City/Region: Newport
State or Province: NC
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: C-Dory prices Reply with quote

Wondering if there has been seen a decrease in C-Dory prices like other boats and homes? I am trying to sell a home in Missouri, already $35,000 below comps and no offers. I will be looking to purchase a C-Dory when the house sells.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the lower right side of the C-Brats home page and you will see many C-Dorys for sale. That is probably the best place to see generally realistic prices. Lake Union Sea Ray in Seattle is apparently selling all of their on-hand new C-Dorys at quite a discount, maybe enough to make it worthwhile to come all the way out here for the deal.
tsargent

City/Region: Kansas City
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Intrepid
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: RE: Prices Reply with quote

Being new to this group and not quite an owner, I'll dare to jump in. My wife and I have been looking and wanting a C-Dory for six years now, having settled for a lesser boat some years ago. We've always found the prices reflected here to be reasonably accurate. Of course there's often some wiggle room, but the ones we have looked into are pretty close to NADA, once the engine and trailer are added. Hope to see everyone soon out on the water! We'll try to make the Oriental, NC event!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would doubt that used C Dories have de-valued significantly. If they have, it may be because of flooding the market with more boats...but not because of the economy. The C Dory is one of the most economical boats to run available--with the facilities which it has.

When times are bad, boats which retain their resale value, and are economical to run are the best sellers. But all boat sales are down at this point. The 26 to 35 footers are probably the market which is most depressed. Also the C Dory is a trailerable boat--and that cuts the overall cost of ownership very significantly.

Look at the total cost of operation of a boat, including resale, when you make a purchase. Some boats may cost more in the beginning, but in the long run, cost less to run and own. C Dories are this type of boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I must respectfully disagree.

This wannabe has been watching C-Dory prices very closely. There is a definite down trend, "deal of the year" is now a monthly occurrence. Many sweet 22's for under $30K now, and a few under $20-22K. People are selling their boats, despite the GREAT value of the CD's, they aren't immune. In the last few weeks I've seen many steals.

Just got back from BC, Sunshine Coast. Marinas are empty, boats aren't out; many, many for sale.

westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Dory's probably hold their value better than most for he reasons Bob mentions, but they're definitely losing value compared to past years. We both bought and sold last year so I was very familiar with prices and marketing conditions before the banking mess. Today's market is much softer. Prices are lower, boats are taking longer to sell, and there's a lot more inventory. This is an excellent time to buy if you've been dreaming of owning one and have saved up the cash. Best, Mike.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJD Wannabe wrote:
Bob, I must respectfully disagree.

This wannabe has been watching C-Dory prices very closely. There is a definite down trend, "deal of the year" is now a monthly occurrence. ...

Seems that anything that uses fuel has been soft recently. People are watching their bucks, credit is tight... all that adds up for lower prices and fewer sales for big ticket items.

While no one can say what the state of boating will be in the future, I'll go out on a limb here regarding this topic: the current dip in C-Dory prices will be temporary. There aren't many boats out there that can do what our boats can and still be reasonably economical. People may be doing "stay-cations" this summer (staying close to home, not spending money), but if/when fuel prices stabilize, you'll see budgets being worked out so people can find a way to be out on the water again. Then, the gas guzzling boats will continue to tank, and boats like the C-Dory will become even more sought-after.

The former factory folks picked the wrong time to try to expand and misjudged the market. It will take a while for the demand to swallow up that supply, but when it does, you will see prices rise.

Fuel prices are a big factor. But, people will find a way to afford what they want. I think the fear of continually rising gas prices has stopped more spending than the actual price of gas. This may not be a popular opinion, and I certainly don't mean this to sound elitist... those of us who own these boats are not the "rich" who can toss a couple million bucks at a boat and aren't affected by the price of... well, anything. But, most of us are not so tightly budgeted that we can't enjoy some time on the water. We may go slower, not stay out as long, and spend more time in one place... but there has to be some discretionary income to be able to afford one of these boats (and some have more than one Wink ). There is a certain price of admission.

If you find "the deal of the year", it just might be the time to make the move.
Pandy Girl

City/Region: Westfield, NC
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Pandy Girl
Photos: Pandy Girl
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: C-Dory prices Reply with quote

Jim, I agree with you 100 %, we have been watching the RV and Boat used Market. I don't think that C-Dorys are down as much as other brands of boats.
We had been looking at Used RVs for several months (Diesel Pusher a certain year model, a certain brand. We purchased what we had been looking for two weeks ago, it is 4 years old and the Owner lost about 40,000 a year by the book price.
I think that people get scared and don't wait for things to level out. It is a buyers market now on anything that uses Gas, Diesel, or LP
Jim

Catman

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread caught my eye as I was opening drawers and poking about. It lost steam in the summer of 2008, but makes for interesting reflection now more than a decade later. That was a period when gas here in north Seattle hit $4.65 a gallon in places, and many believed that a foreteller of a new normal. Certainly prices wouldn't go down, many thought; Could $5 a gallon be on the horizon?

Dr. Bob and Steady Eddy Mike, as usual, you two offered educated opinion and well-informed experience on the topic. But it was Texas James, fellow friend of cats, who really nailed it. It seems to me, Jim, that what you forecast about boating and C-Dory, almost 11 years ago around the time of the great recession, was pretty darn prescient. See anything up ahead?
Clock
westward

C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was reading along in this thread, and only when I encountered an old reply of my own did I realize it was from 2008! All the talk of empty marinas and fire-sale prices on unsold C-Dories was jarring, as I normally have a good ear to the ground of the economy and didn't see things being quite that bleak at present. If you hang around long enough and pay some attention you begin to see patterns emerge!

Cheers! Mike
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock, I have heard the term psychotic used to describe me... pretty much the same as psychic, right? Wink

A lot of the same names and faces here since that 2008 post; a few have moved away from boating; and some have moved on to bigger boats.

I live in Texas... when gas prices go up, they pump more oil out of the ground and the offshore platforms... which ultimately brings the prices down. With the prices down, those wells are definitely pumping slower.

Some of us just need to have some water time. Times and prices change, but I still think the C-Dorys are a smart way to get that water time, depending on how you will use the boat.

If I were better at telling the future, I would be buying lottery tickets. Mr. Green But, what do I know - right now, we are in the dry ol' desert ('cause it is where our kid lives). Best wishes to you, Catman.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally C Dory prices have been inching up--but many are still not too far off of actually being close to used 10 or more years later than when new. Probably the older boats are profiting more than newer boats.

There are still some great bargains and some boats which are overpriced. I probably sold my 22 a bit low this year. But I got back all that I had in it, including the upgrades to pretty much new electronics, plus a lot of upgrades.

I paid a little more than I originally planed for my 25, but it was an exceptional boat, with a lot of very nice upgrades and improvements. I have improved it more, and doubt that I will get the $$ out. I just went to 200 amp hours of LiFePO4 batteries, DC to DC charger for the LI batteries, and a Victron 2000 watt/80/50 amp charger, with remote. That will give us battery power to run the microwave and induction burners, plus freezer/refrigerator much of the time, only using the engine alternator.

I can say it has been a bad year for corn and soy farmers--and Chapter 12's are way up. The stock market is in a bubble. Government spending/debt is out of control. New boats are outlandishly expensive, and many have waiting lists of over a year.

Not sure when the bubble is going to burst---it has last longer than I thought. It may not be this year--may be next year. Different dynamics than 2007, which was mostly due to housing mortgages/government/ Banking leading directly to 2008.

Oil price dynamics are most interesting--Russia aligning with OPEC and the Venezuela situation are both very interesting and need to be watched. The fracking, is volatile because of costs, but it is a bit more efficient. What if we are mandated to be 100% non fossil fuel in 10 years?

Politics are going to enter in more strongly than in last few years. I still feel the C Dory is the "smartest" boat to own in these or any times.

Don't down play the 10,000 baby boomers turning 65 each day. Many want an economical

As for C Dory, compare the situation in 2007, with today. The company run by the
Reynolds was already becoming over extended. Today's situation is entirely different. Experienced builders are making boats to order.

Since life expectancy has actually fallen slightly in the last few years--buy your C dory sooner, rather than later! To paraphrase the Ancient Greek Physician, Hippocrates: : Ars longa, vita brevis Life is short--boating art is long. Confused
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Prices Reply with quote

tsargent wrote:
... We'll try to make the Oriental, NC event!

What event is that?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Prices Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
tsargent wrote:
... We'll try to make the Oriental, NC event!

What event is that?

Well, Might have to go back into the archives to find your answer. I'll leave that to you if you are really interested.

Check the date of the post.

Quote:
Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:26 am
Post subject: RE: Prices

Being new to this group and not quite an owner, I'll dare to jump in. My wife and I have been looking and wanting a C-Dory for six years now, having settled for a lesser boat some years ago. We've always found the prices reflected here to be reasonably accurate. Of course there's often some wiggle room, but the ones we have looked into are pretty close to NADA, once the engine and trailer are added. Hope to see everyone soon out on the water! We'll try to make the Oriental, NC event!

Not the first time someone has been caught off guard by an old thread being brought out of retirement. And Won't be the last. BTDT Embarassed

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices of c-dory boats have been the only thing steady since I started watching these little boats. My 401k has whip sawed back and forth, Real estate prices, gas prices, if I could have guessed I'd be retired now.

These little boats have remained. The one thing I see less of now is older boats in need of freshening. in those days, there was a lot of "deals" on boats with old electronics, chalky exteriors, ratty interiors and older outboards and priced accordingly. We all know those aren't deals once the upgrades are bought and paid for, but was a lower entry fee. Most of these have been renovated and turned into great boats again.

In my opinion there's been a just a small increase on the whole range of used cdory's but I've mostly been following along with 22s. Asking prices have inched up maybe 1%, or 1.5% give or take, in my estimation. We bought our first one, a 2003 that was nicely outfitted from a well known dealer for what would probably be considered a bargain today. It would be an older, dated boat now, needing upgraded electronics but would still fetch at least what we paid.

When a new boat costs what they do, its all about supply and demand. That's pretty much it. They are a neat boat, and if you think they get a lot of attention from onlookers in the PNW, they get even more attention in the Southeast where many people have never seen one before!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: