The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Water heater not heating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Water heater not heating Reply with quote

I'm not getting hot water from my water heater. I am sure this is a "duh!" situation, but where should I be looking for problems? I checked the circuit breaker located below the aft dinette seat and it seems fine when hooked up to shore power.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a multimeter measure to see if there is power coming in to the heater. Then disconnect the power and measure the resistance of the heating element itself probally something like 10 to 15 ohms. If you don't get a reading a second check would be continuity. Set the meter to continuity and measure accross the element. No continuity means the element is open and needs to be replaced. If you have continuity then you need find why you are not getting power to the element ie Fuse, breaker, broken wire, lose terminal, corrosion or thermostat. With your meter just follow the voltage through each device and see where it stops. If you are not comfortable with using a multimeter then take it in and have someone fix it. Don't get shocked!!!!!!!

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Takes at least 30 minutes Reply with quote

When I tested my system at the dealership, I found it takes about 30 minutes before I started to feel warm/then hot water.

You of course need to be connected to shore power, water pressure switch on, then lastly the circuit breaker under the table thrown on for the hot water heater. As I mentioned I found it takes 30 minutes to get heat in the water.

If you have done all the above start with the fuses and circuit breaker. I remember reading the circuit will trip if there is no water or if the water pressure switch is not on when you flip the switch under the table. From this point multi-meter testing.

Good luck with it.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When this happened to us, we discovered there was a reset button. Ours is behind a metal panel on the hot water heater.

Nancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: