The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need plotter recommendation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zelpha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cmiii,
I bought the GPS 18 to feed my laptop directly thru a USB connector which leaves no accessibility to wires between the Sensor and USB male end. Plug it into the computer with "Inland Lakes" Garmin software and all works great on the laptop screen. My problem is how to get from the computer to the S1000 input wires. Wonder about coming out the 2nd USB port with another UBS connector with wires. Maybe it cannot be done. Thanks for your help. Zelpha
flrockytop

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zelpha wrote:
Thanks Cmiii,
I bought the GPS 18 to feed my laptop directly thru a USB connector which leaves no accessibility to wires between the Sensor and USB male end. Plug it into the computer with "Inland Lakes" Garmin software and all works great on the laptop screen. My problem is how to get from the computer to the S1000 input wires. Wonder about coming out the 2nd USB port with another UBS connector with wires. Maybe it cannot be done. Thanks for your help. Zelpha

The problem, I think, is going to be that the data coming out of the usb is not going to be rs232. I've got a GPS 18 but it is not the usb version. I'll have to look up the data sheet and see just what your dealing with. Do you have a serial port the computer? If so then the GPSGATE program can take the data coming in the usb port and turn around and send it out the serial port. The other option is, assuming that you have two usb ports is to get one of the usb to serial dongle to put in the second usb port. This will give a place for GPSGATE to send the data. You would then just go from the dongle to the S1000. The next problem would be if all this converting would slow the data rate down to where it was not fast enough for the S1000. This "cleanest" thing might be to just get a $50 dedicated GPS for the S1000. I think thats what I'm going to do on mine.

I just looked at the specs for the USB GPS 18. As I thought, you are not going to be able to directly get the data that you need from the USB GPS18. You would have no problem with the GPS18 PC or GPS 18 LVC.

Roger

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
Zelpha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roger, I think you are right. I do have a second USB port and a RS232 dongel but from what I also read on the Garmin site I think the protocol is different from that the S1000 requires. Oh well, I guess I will have to use an old, old Garmin 176C. Has a very small screen but still works well and has a cable with the required NEMA output wires. We are so spoiled; once they only had a sextant. Thanks for your help The S1000 is worth the hassle. Zelpha
cemiii

City/Region: Alamo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: The Last One........ III
Photos: The Last One, III
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i'm really confused by all the different software options. Zelpha, does Garmin Inland lakes include navigation software? Because I really like the depth of the lake charts it provides. If I can just keep my existing gps for the ocean/bay and use a laptop for lakes, that may be the best of all worlds.

Chris
Zelpha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, I have an older Garmin 2006C Chartplotter on another boat and I run Inland Lakes on a chip in it (which I dowloaded using a USB chip programmer from a Windows computer programed with Inland Lakes but I think you can buy the chip already programmed). It functions a a good big screen plotter with Inland Lakes (and you can buy or download other Garmin programs and also feeds my S1000 via wires and has a 12 volt set of input wires. You can set waypoint etc on the system. I think this is common with Garmin programs if you have a way to send the correct NEMA signals to the S1000. I believe most of their chartlplotters do. My problem is I have no RS232 port on my laptop so I can only receive USB to the computer but then cannot resend to the S1000. The Garmin Software (Inland Lakes etc is not the problem I do not think). The Garmin USB Data Card Programmer is great in that you can choose the smaller map areas you want to use and later go back and reprogram the same chip to a different area for your next trip. I guess I can always move the Chartplotter from boat to boat but it does not have all the capabilities of a laptop. Least I seem biased to Garmin, the S1000 is Raymarine. As is usual, I guess I can buy another set of cables from my GPS18 that have a RS232 output and then buy a RS232/USB adapter. Perhaps cheaper to buy another Chartplotter and carry both the laptop and new Chartplatter on the boat at the same time. Whatever works if you have the money. Best to you, Zelpha
Zelpha

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, above rather longwinded. Inland lakes works great on only a Windows computer if you have the puck/sensor to feed it. Zelpha
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flrockytop,

I would check out NewEgg.com before buying from TigerDirect. It looks like they have several of the Asus Eee notebooks with the SSD HDD and their prices are better. Plus NewEgg has always had good customer service.

Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHHHHEEEEEUU................you guys are typing in English aren't you???? Obviously technology has passed me by.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhhhhh, the days of "plug and pay" or KISS
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a real fan of laptops for navigation in our small boats.... Leave the top off the blender one time and oh it ain't nice... but...if yall are headed that way...and it looks that many are interested or have started the journey...... I would have to look in the photo album of C-Eagle in AL on Richard and Cheryle's boat, and they have a neat set up on a swing table for the laptop .....using the aft wall of the V-Berth it seems. It has been a bit over a year since I saw it at one of the Cumberland River gatherings....but, I do recall it was set up to be very flexible...with...or without a laptop on the table.

Worked real good for wine and cheese!! Thumbs Up

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
WHHHHEEEEEUU................you guys are typing in English aren't you???? Obviously technology has passed me by.

Thanks Jack-I thought it was just me....

"...we're all in the same boat..."
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Need plotter recommendation Reply with quote

cemiii wrote:
Important

NMEA 0183 output for A/P (is new 2000 protocol backward compatible?)
Sub $1k
Chris

Way back at the beginning of this post Chris asked the above question. I assume you can't get a 0183 signal from a NMEA 2000 GPS?

cemiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it would be just like me to go out and buy the newest greatest gps, from someplace that i couldn't return it, and then find out it couldn't communicate with my auto-pilot. some day i'm gonna learn.

chris
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Maretron. They have several different items for the NMEA2000 bus. Especially interesting for this topic is the USB100 that converst NMEA 2000 to 0183.
cemiii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this in the albums on pc use

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=2ndByte&id=Computer_Mount_up_and_running&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

toggle to his next photo and see the swivel mount. As well, I love the clean look of the snap on wiring cover in the berth. Mine looks like a birds nest.

Wow tons of other great mod ideas and some phenominal pics. Thanks 3rd Byte. If you're out there where did you find the great swivel setup?

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: