The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

R21-ec trailering and launching and other issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goater

City/Region: St. George
State or Province: ON
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Theodore
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: R21-ec trailering and launching and other issues Reply with quote

Good Day
I'm new to this site but very happy that I have found it. I am a potential r21-ec purchaser from Ontario (we just got a dealer) and I have some questions about boat that I would appreciate your thoughts on.

1. How do you find launching and retrieving the boat? Any comments from owners with an EZ Loader trailer with loadguides would be especially appreciated. I would likely be launching and retrieving the boat on every occasion and would like to know if this is a relatively painless procedure for one person.

2. How do most tie down the boat at the stern? The trailers I have seen for the boat don't seem to accommodate the stern tie downs very well.

3. Has anyone had a travel cover made/fitted for the windows (or entire vessel) for travelling over land, and what is your experience with that?

4. Does anyone have an autopilot hooked up?

5. I read on another thread that the butane stove can be a concern. Is anyone else having trouble with this?

6. Can a narrow chair/recliner be fitted between the engine compartment and the gunwale. Its a thought for getting a few more bums planted for the longer trips. It looks kind of narrow, though.

Thanks to everyone who has time to respond. Its very appreciated.

Gregg
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Congratulations! Reply with quote

You will love your new boat!

We ended up with a Magic Tilt Trailer and I have launched and recovered by myself, but it is a job. I finally had to get guide ons installed because the boat just wouldn't line up proprely without them. I'm not sure there is any way to do solo launch and recoveries without getting wet, depending on the grade of the ramp and the availability of a dock running parallel to the boat launch.

I run two inch straps from the eyes on the back of the boat down to the trailer to hold the back end down. They need to be at least 10 feet long.

I saw the post regarding the stove and, to be honest, I haven't used mine that much, but I am on the second canister of fuel after a year. I'm sure others will have more valuable input on that. Ditto on the window protection and autopilot, although you will find threads regarding both of these items on the blog.

There just isn't a bunch of room between the engine box and the gunwhales. The problem is that the bottom has some curve to it so, even though the distance for seating on the engine box is fine, there's not enough flat space to set a chair. We've found that seating six is kind of the practical maximum... two on the stern bench, two on the engine box and two in the pilothouse. Not that I'm recommending it, but I've also had two ladies on top of the vberth reclining against the windshield and they seemed to be fairly comfortable, but it obviously impairs vision for the pilot.

You've zeroed in on a couple of the shortcomings of the R21-EC, but I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the boat overall. We absolutely love ours and laugh all the way to the diesel dock.

Steve Frisch
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Here's the auto pilot post... Reply with quote

I would suggest Simrad as a place to start looking at auto pilots for this type of boat. If you go with Raymarine electronics there might be some advantage to use the Raymarine, from an electronics standpoint. All of the pilots are fairly easy to hook up to the single station Sea Star steering hyraulics. Both Sinrad and Raymarine have virtual feedback units, which simplifies the installation.

TR1 Gladiator has had an excellent reputation, and the company has been bought up by Garmin.

Furuno also makes a very good pilot.

Be sure that you buy a pilot which will be supported in the future. Some companies have come and gone....making parts difficult to find (circut boards can go bad).
Frequent Sea
C D 25 2003, green 130 Honda
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
acustis
Ranger Tugs Factory Rep

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: 21 Tug Reply with quote

Hello Goater,

1. I do all of the testing of our 25 tug and our 21 EC. I test these boats by myself and would have to say it is the easiest setup to launch and retrieve on either boat. With our trailers we provide, they come with guide rails on them.

2. For tie down of the stern on the R21 we provide separate stern eyes just for this. Makes it very easy to secure the boat to the trailer.

3. I know of one gentlemen that has had a mooring cover made for his R21 and he loved it. The tug comes with an exterior windshield cover.

4. The R21 is cable driven steering and Raymarine has an autopilot they were supposed to come back out with and I think it is available again. It is a very easy install and bolts right to the helm.

5. I have not heard of any complaints about the butane stove.

6. If you would like some measurements on the cockpit to fit some chairs I would be happy to provide you with those.

Thanks for your inquiry and please feel free to contact me direct with any questions you may have. andrewcustis@rangertugs.com 253-839-5213

Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our R25 we have an electric/butane combo stove. We have had no problems with the butane and have been pleased at how easy it is to operate. The canister lasts much longer than we anticipated. No complaints here!

Nancy

dmcinfo

City/Region: sacramento, ca
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat is very easy to trailer and I have had no problems launching or retrieving. Just take your time and after a few attempts you should have the whole process mastered. BTW - I use a Nissan Frontier pick up with a V6 and it has plenty of power to tow my boat. I don't think you need a full size truck with a big V8 to move the boat.

I haven't used the stove and I don't see any reason to use it. I'm purchasing a 12 volt coffee maker that plugs in the outlet to make coffee and I use my gas bar b que for everything else.

I have an EZ loader trailer and there are eyes for the stern tie down straps. I don't think mine are much longer than 4-5 feet long. They secure it nicely.

I think a cover for travel would be something I would not use. I'd be concerned about it coming loose during the trip and possibly scratching the boat or ripping while flailing around.

Goater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good day
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate eveyone's thoughts on the boat. The R21 is definitely the boat for us. Hopefully we'll have some pictures to post in the not too distant future, along with all the other fine R21's here.
Cheers
Gregg
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past the "sports pilot" type of steering bolting on the wheel, has not been a perticularly good solution to auto pilots. It is possiable that with some of the newest technology the problems may be resolved. I have owned a couple of this type of pilot--and eventually went to other types of pilots. A linlear ram--either electric screw driven or hyrdaulic can be fitted to a tiller arm, even in a cable driven steering. In the past and on sailboats, for many years, pilots have been put on cable steering, other than the bolt on the steering shaft type.

I probably would put a pilot down the list of accessories I would buy for this boat. Almost all of my boats have had pilots, except the C Dories. I consider the 21 as being day boat--although several have done some cruising. I would not want to be out in serious sea conditions in this type of vessel.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Goater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob
I see that raymarine is introducing a new sportpilot this September. It would appear that an autopilot would be beneficial for this type of boat, for many reasons; fishing (downrigging), longer cruises, or any time that you would be going solo and need to step away from the helm.

Why is it that you feel this would not be a good boat for rough conditions? The hull shape seems to suggest it would be quite good in choppy seas at the bow and in following seas. Any ranger 21 owners that can offer their experiences?

Gregg
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg,
The reason I would be concerned about this boat in rough weather is the low freeboard and open cockpit-with the engine box. I have been on and run several boats of this type. When you get in rough weather there is considerable risk of taking water into the cockpit/engine compartment area.

As to the pilot--one of the problems with the previous sport pilots was lack of rudder feedback, as well as durability of the drive mechanism. I have had considerable experience with wheel attatched pilots--including some of the various forms of AutoHelm--which RayMarine bought out. These did work OK--but gears, motors, belts etc wore out. (On the other hand, one of my friends has well over 50,000 miles on a very well balanced 55 foot sailboat, where most of the time under power was using an Auto Helm 3000--he went thru many motors, gears etc., but it did work.)

The actual fully contained sport pilot was sensitative to metals and compass deviation. There were problems with the mechanical mechanism, as well as the circuits. I and some of my friends had some bad experiences--but again these were older units. I would certainly wait until any sport pilot is out some time before buying it. I would be more likely to consider this if I had all Ray Marine electronics. The new sport pilot uses proven head technology and computer/compass. The drive mechanism will probably be the potential weak point--it has a max vessel weight of 4,000 lbs. I believe that a Ranger Tug 21 will come in somewhere in the 3,000 lb., so it should be within the capability. My guess is that it will work well in smooth water, but could be put to the task in heavy weather.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put thousands of miles on an Autohelm 3000, and brief periods with a couple others. Never did see one that was quick enough to handle rough water.
TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear an improved Sport Pilot is coming out. It was the only autopilot that made sense on many small boats. Sure, it had problems, but it was better than nothing if you wanted an autopilot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: