The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel Spillage from R-21EC Fuel Vent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steamboat_Willie

City/Region: northern
State or Province: NJ
Vessel Name: Steamboat Willie
Photos: Steamboat Willie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Fuel Spillage from R-21EC Fuel Vent Reply with quote

I have a question regarding an issue I have with diesel fuel emerging from the fuel vent on our R21EC. We've discovered that when we are sitting at anchor out on the water with the boat rocking (gently) back and forth we will get some residual diesel fuel that will spurt out of the fuel vent opening as the fuel in the fuel tank has the opportunity to slosh back and forth in the tank. When the movement 'timing' is right a small amount of diesel will surge out of the vent and splash on to the flat surface along the transom. As we keep cleaning it up with a paper towel throughout the day the boat smells more like an 18-wheeler when it is time to motor back to the dock. And it has stained the fiberglass at the transom as well.

Obviously I'm motivated to have a full tank of fuel before leaving the dock. So I guess it's not unreasonable to expect some fuel to emerge from a fuel vent under these conditions. But I'd like to contain it and prevent it from making a mess as it does when were sitting idle at anchor. And I don't want to even think about encountering some over zealous marine policeman on patrol who cites me for an EPA infraction if he sees even a tiny little oil sheen by my boat.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue and if so how did you solve this inconvenience? Comments appreciated.
Thanks.
Ed
K7MXE

City/Region: Eatonville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Lois H
Photos: Lois H
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Fuel vent flustration and the bilge Reply with quote

I also have the same problem. Underway on the water I put some liquid
soap on the area because soon or later the fuel will get over to the
starboard side and finally end up in the trim piece and leach into the
water. On the trailer I use a paper towel but wait till I get where I am
going first so I don't use up all my paper towels. I see not a lot of difference
on how much fuel is in the tank but only use the top half anyway.
Another issue is getting all the tree needles out of the bilge so the
pump lines don't get clogged. I have fir trees here and the needles cast
off end up on the boat and into the bilge. Before using the boat I park
the trailer with the bow up and stern low so when I wash off the back
deck all water goes to the pump area and I wash the needles out the
outlet in the keel where the plug can be removed. They will clog a bit
at that opening but you can get them out. If they get into the pump and
line they can be blown back with pressure on the outlet port of the pump.
Little quirks for a pretty good boat. Bob Heselberg Eatonville Wa
Steamboat_Willie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Fuel Spillage from R-21EC Fuel Vent Reply with quote

There's got to be a better way than using paper towels. I'm thinking of something as simple as a rubber stopper of some sort when I'm not underway and using the engine.

Ed (N2TE)
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, here's SOMETHING that goes over the vent to collect the overflow when fueling. Don't see why it wouldn't work to help you in your situation.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the air vent tube and see if there is a loop in it. My experience has been that fuel will collect in the loop and then when the fuel in the tank sloshes and forces air up the vent the air then pushes that small amount of fuel out the vent.
Steamboat_Willie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that "No Spill Fuel Saver" item in the West Marine catalog. I wouldn't mind spending the money to buy it if I knew it would in fact solve the problem and would fit in the space available by the vent itself. Andrew mentioned this to me and said it might be a solution. Have to look into it further.
Jeanie P

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Jeanie P - sold 11/08
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the fuel catcher from WM. It's a bottle with a hole cut in the side with a rubber seal. It works by placing the bottle's side opening over the vent and pressing in on the suction cups to hold it in place.

It's not something that I would use when underway. Wave or high wind action could knock it off.

I'd look into LLoyd's suggestion on vent tube being looped.

Allan
Steamboat_Willie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fuel spillage problem out the fuel vent of my 21 while at anchor has been solved. I took a 7/8 inch ID rubber tip cover commonly seen on the end of a wooden cane or metal chair leg and merely pushed it onto the round fuel vent opening and the problem was instantly solved. It's a nice snug fit, not too tight. No more fuel spilling and burping out of the vent while I'm bobbing at anchor and busy contemplating the number of ice cubes in my glass. The only drawback is that I have to make sure that I remove the thing prior to starting and running the engine and getting underway. McMaster.com has an image of this rubber tip. Item # 2517T74. However you can easily pick one up only one at your local hardware store. Just get a 7/8 inch ID size rubber chair leg tip. Hope this is helpful to someone who has had this minor problem.
Ed
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the location nor nearby structures to the EC21's fuel vent, but Charlie's suggestion of the Fuel Saver bottle is a great idea. I've used it since day one on my TomCat for fuel fill-ups.

The suction cups are strong and I have a nylon lanyard attached. If it would fit over your vents, you'd have a good fix. The lanyard would save the bottle if you weighed anchor leaving it in place.

VENT LOOP

Another way to fix the problem is to use a "vent loop" in the vent line, like a person uses to vent a bar sink, but upside down (looped UNDER the true vent line) in a situation where no wall is present for a normal roof vent, vertical line to run.

What you do is put two "T's" into the fuel vent line - one high up, but below the external hull vent, and one down low - and then connect the two "T's" to a single loop. When the fuel comes up, it is diverted into the loop just before going overboard and drains back down to the tank.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: