The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat Covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE on my Angola canvas cover. YEP, still looks and functions great as I listed above.

Have gone through a whole season of Colorado snow, ice, rain, high winds, etc. No hail yet that I can comment on.

CD 22 Cruiser "FRESH FISH: 2018 to present.
CD 16 Angler "OPA": 2013 to 2019.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am getting ready to order cover #2 from Angola. The thread is popping again on a different seam; basically the cover is splitting in two. This week's snow storm will be it's last. Got 10 years out of it, though.

I can't find the pattern measurements I made. I suspect it was on an old computer when the hard drive kicked the bucket. I'll have to go out there and measure again.

dgeorges

City/Region: Highlands Ranch
Vessel Name: FRESH FISH
Photos: FRESH FISH
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to measure anything. Angola has the pattern and can fabricate w/o any measurements.

I had them extend the pattern an additional foot down the sides to create a better fit and to cover the colored area below the bumper. I also had them add a motor cover. Angola's measurements fit my Yamaha 120 hp perfectly.

See photos in my album (click boat name on the right).

Good luck.

DG
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgeorges wrote:
You don't have to measure anything. Angola has the pattern and can fabricate w/o any measurements.DG

Last time I had to provide them measurements/a pattern for the radar arch location. I have no reason to believe it will be any different this time.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Am getting ready to order cover #2 from Angola. The thread is popping again on a different seam; basically the cover is splitting in two. This week's snow storm will be it's last. Got 10 years out of it, though.

I can't find the pattern measurements I made. I suspect it was on an old computer when the hard drive kicked the bucket. I'll have to go out there and measure again.

Angola does not use the Tenera thread (Gortex type, which lasts much longer. If the fabric is still OK any local boat canvas shop should be able to re stitch the seams.

We wash our covers and then spray them with 303 fabric protectorate. This is what is recommended by Sunbrella (GlenRaven Mills).

Angola probably has the pattern measurements you sent--but as DC noted it is always prudent to let them know about extra cleats, railings radar etc..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had Angola do my cover I sent them pictures and measurements of all the protuberances that are not standard on a C-Dory (e.g. all the stuff on the roof). They put reinforcements in these areas. When I got the cover I found a few things that I wanted changed. I sent the cover back and Angola made the changes I wanted with out issue. I also had my cover extended on the sides. My goes down to the top of the trailer fenders.

Only thing I did was to add a number of grommets around the bottom of the cover for tie down ropes.
Anura 16

City/Region: Bethesda
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: SANDPIPER
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchase the boat the PO had a cover and kept the boat in a covered dock. I haven’t looked at the cover but assume it is good quality. I do not plan to use it as I keep the boat in a boat shed on trailer. I Will give it to anyone willing to pay packaging and shipping. I live in AR, but we are currently in FL waiting Out the cold so it will be a couple of weeks before I can determine shipping costs. I use UPS, they seem to be expensive. Let me know.
Dennis
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Angola for a cover in the fall and had great communications with someone named Robert. Send photos and the measurements he asked for then all communications from Angola stopped. Phone calls or emails were not responded too. After several phone messages I received an email from someone else who said they were busy but could do the cover. Then no communications again for a number of months. Has anyone else been in contact with Angola or received a cover? Seems like they may be having some issues ? They have a great reputation and I would sure like to have them build a cover for us.
Anura 16

City/Region: Bethesda
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: SANDPIPER
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: boat cover Reply with quote

The cover I’m offering was made by Taylor Made Products,Gloversville, NY. Color is tan and white.
Dennis
Mark G

City/Region: Cayman Kai, Grand Cayman KY
State or Province: Other
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Cover Boat Custom shops and PIC's + Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find an ULTRA-DURABLE cover for our 2006 22' Cruiser and will attempt to contact Angola and perhaps Taylor Made.
The last cover was black (Rolling Eyes) and lasted ~3 years B4 it dry-rotted - the salt and sun are BRUTAL.
Q1: Are there any "other" cover fabricators that you can recommend/suggest?
(I contacted C-Dory and they recommend King's Marine and Bentley's...
Q2: Can you all post some pics of your covered C-Dory's?
PS - I don't believe there are any special accessories mounted to and protruding from ours...there are just the pole receivers on the roof.

TYVM

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Why not consider having a local canvas shop make your cover. The covers, tops, biminis, dodgers, curtains, for my boats, were all made locally. The cover on my trimaran that is a winter cover has lasted 15 seasons and still looks like new, the slant back cover and bimini cover on my Cape Cruiser, looks like new after 3 years.
I've owned almost 70 boats and never have purchased a cover from a cover company. The problem that I see, it that the covers in a box, never consider reinforcement for hard points. All hard points under my covers have reinforcement, preventing premature wear on the outer fabric.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbrella from Angloa should last at least 10 years--and usually then there needs to be restitching. You need to take care of any cover. We wash the covers yearly, then treat with 303 for fabric protectorate.

If you Tenera thread (cortex UV resistant) it should last 15 or more years.

A lot of cheap covers are inferior materials.

If you want something super durable, then Shelter rite--it is glued rather than sewn. It is about the same thickness and surface as PVC inflatable boats are made of--same for commercial tarps on trucks.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cover Boat Custom shops and PIC's + Reply with quote

Mark G wrote:
... Q2: Can you all post some pics of your covered C-Dory's? ...

My Sunbrella cover from Angola Canvas. The standard design ends about where the black loops shown in the picture are. I had my cover extended about 3' to cover the sides of the boat.

There are some "standard" reinforcements added. Angola will also add any additional reinforcements that you ask for. Some of the locations of the standard reinforcements don't line up on my boat. I wonder if the boat they patterned from had different stuff on it. You can also add your own reinforcements if you want.

You have the option of having the motor cover attached to the main cover or as a separate piece. IMO, have it attached to the main cover helps keep the cover pulled taut over the cockpit. FWIW, have them reinforce the seam where the motor cover attaches to the main cover. There is a fair amount of tension on this seam, especially if the cover is snow loaded.

The extended cover only had a few grommets for tie-downs. I added a bunch more so there is a tie down about every 3 feet all the way around the boat (more at the back where the shape is more complex). It was easier to add the grommets myself than ship the cover back to Angola with detailed directions.

Angola Canvas will modify the cover anyway you want to deal with whatever is on your boat and your personal preferences.

This cover is way better than the one that the original owner was using (converted pool cover).

Mark G

City/Region: Cayman Kai, Grand Cayman KY
State or Province: Other
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all,
I was able to call and speak with Richard at Angola Canvas.
https://AngolaCanvasCompany.com/
Their # is (800) 970-6607
His email is AngolaCanvas1@gmail.com

I received "general pricing" for our 22' cruiser over the phone AND, if I understood him correctly, it is as follows:
Basic covers start at ~$675
There's an upgrade for ~$950
Sunbrella covers cost ~$1125-$1250
Extra long sides to cover the stripes adds ~$150
The Tenera thread upgrade was not on his price list but is available

Pictures were requested and a firm quote is forthcoming...
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are 3 shots at my cover. Not sure if it is Angola or not. I had the boat outside for part of the first winter I had it. Moved to indoor late winter, but not soon enough.

Thoughts on covers. Totally agree on having OB cover included. That will also insure that the cockpit and splashwell are fully covered. (Mine does not fully cover the splashwell and so stuff does get into the cockpit too. Sad

It might be worth adding a zipper to open so that you can gain access to the cockpit without having to untie half the cover. Mine doesn't, wish it did.

I really like that green cover going down that low. Definitely worth it IF you are storing outdoors. Would love to have a version of that to use for long distance towing. (Would take less time at the gas stations Laughing

Hope that helps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: