The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

R-25 El Cheapo Water Tank Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henrym

City/Region: Vero Beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Little Toot
Photos: Little Toot
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: R-25 El Cheapo Water Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Andrew told me how to install $135 water tank gauge and sensors on the R-25. However, after cutting the hole I thought why install an expensive gauge system when you can see how much water is in the tank? Remove port side teak trim strip, cut hole larger to fit new teak trim cover plate, glue wood measure onto tank, install access door stainless steel spring pressure latch. To check the of water in the tank, pop the teak trim plate off, and use flashlight to see how many inches of water are in the tank... (See Little Toot's photos)
Henry
commander bill

City/Region: Centre
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an excellent idea bit I am having difficulty understanding exactly where you are talking about cutting the hole. Guess I am dense & have no idea where the tank is. Would it be possible for you to post photo of your mod with adequate reference to identify exact location.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea. If you can see the side of the H2O tank, you've got it made. Those are translucent tanks on a C-25 and show the water level well. What I did was pour a gallon in at a time and mark where appropriate with a felt tip pen. Dora-Jean did this and I just copied him, with a smaller hole. Also, leave the teak off, because you'll want to see the level every day. The marking I made goes from 2 gal to 15 gal. Didn't figure I needed to know when it's full

On our trip to the Channel Islands, we used ~5 gel/day (no showers.)

Boris
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commander bill wrote:
Sounds like an excellent idea bit I am having difficulty understanding exactly where you are talking about cutting the hole. Guess I am dense & have no idea where the tank is. Would it be possible for you to post photo of your mod with adequate reference to identify exact location.

Commander Bill-

Does having these two photos lined up help you visualize the tank location?

New teak cover on right, right?

Cover removed showing tank behind new cover.

(I did this to help out as some folks don't know how to post photos, so just thought I'd try to help. Hope I didn't intrude!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
henrym

City/Region: Vero Beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Little Toot
Photos: Little Toot
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Water Tank Reply with quote

If you remove the port side teak trim strip that is held in place with 2 screws, you will notice that to make the hole bigger you have to make 2 horizontal cuts and 1 vertical cut. The reason for making the hole larger is that you can't really see too much with the narrow slit that is already there.
Henry
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION:

In the second post above with the photos, I was wrong about the tank gauge improvement being on the right side. It is on the narrow left side facing forward (port side). (Can't edit the old post after 30 minutes.)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
commander bill

City/Region: Centre
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Photos help. I had not visualized the tank at that location so I had difficulty understanding.
jlgray

City/Region: Marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Laurie Ann
Photos: Laurie Ann
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Tank Gauges Reply with quote

For perspective buyers of the tug, this is the great reason to have a conversation with the factory while your boat is being built. We provided the factory with tank sensors and a gauge and they graciously installed it for us.
captd

City/Region: Chain of Lakes
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: Kon Tiki
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: WATER ENTERS HERE Reply with quote

Now that these picture are handy........Have any of you had bilge water come into the V-berth from under the step? When on the trailer and moving the boat, hitting the brakes would cause as much as three inches of water to rush forward and come in from under the step. Always had to dip it out and mop it up.
I wonder if that problem has been solved.

I like this water tank gauge set up. Soon as the Ranger Tug Factory gives birth to the LUCKY FIN and I get it in my possession, Water gauge along with a lot of these new improvements will be done. Thanks you guys.
captd

2007 25 R Ranger (Mis Dee) sold 2008
2009 25 R Ranger (Lucky Fin) sold
1994 22 ft C-Dory ( Kon Tiki )
jlgray

City/Region: Marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Laurie Ann
Photos: Laurie Ann
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Water in the V-Berth Reply with quote

I had this problem and it was caused by water in the bilge-a lot of it-and it went through the "weeping" channels that are built in to drain. Once the source of the bilge water was solved, the v-berth water went away.

If that is not the source of the problem, then I would look at the joints of the water pressure system and the fresh water system. Is the water in your v-berth fresh or salt water? That answer will point you in the direction to take.

Hose clamps do need looking at and adjusting. We do not leave the water pressure system on when we are not using it.

Keep us informed of your progress on this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: