City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

I couldn't agree more. I got insurance through Markel last year myself before we went north. It is more expensive, but what's the point in having cheaper insurance that doesn't cover much of what I got the boat for? I guess I remain surprised, though, at the apparent scarcity of coverage in Alaska for small recreational boats. The Markel broker told me she was able to find just one company currently offering coverage there.

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Tow Boat US Reply with quote

I keep the max Tow Boat US insurance with the Trailer Assist. It's cheap insurance and a good tool to have in the tool box. Some years ago my rear-end blew out in my Jeep towing my boat 150 miles. AAA towed my Jeep but I needed a friend to drive 100 miles round trip at 11pm at night to get my boat.

When my steering gave out a few weeks ago, I would have been in a real jam without a tow. Turns out the shop provided the tow but otherwise I had no means to move the boat. My engines were toed outward and the steering wheel would spin freely like a bicycle wheel with no resistance and obviously not turning the engines at all. Tow Boat US is definitely cheap insurance and they offer good coverage in MA and RI where I primarily boat.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
billtwymank

City/Region: Pinehurst - New Bern, NC
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Lady KC
Photos: Lady KC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Boat Safety - Boat US or Tow Boat Reply with quote

As we are starting to get re-acquainted to our NC Coastal Waters, I was checking out the previous C-Brat postings on subject.

I am not sure if Boat US or Tow Boat provides the better year after year service.

It is my understanding that Tow Boat sends a "sign up commission" to the Tow Boat franchisees at time of yearly payment
but
Boat US franchises do not receive any money until they perform a function for the insured boat that calls in for assistance.

Would this mean Boat US will provide better support?

At this time we do not have a trailer nor do we plan on trailering Lady KC.

Any input on this subject will be appreciated.
x

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tow Boat US Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
I keep the max Tow Boat US insurance with the Trailer Assist. It's cheap insurance and a good tool to have in the tool box.

Never have had to use it yet (knock on wood) but ditto! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not have any towing insurance, and never had. I keep my boats in good condition and have auxillary power. I have accepted commercial assistance once, and that was when I lost a transmission going into the Keil Canal lock; I would have been fine, using the RIB as a push boat, except a ferry cut me off at the last minute and I lost steerage. Cost for the commercial tug was $100.

There are also horror stories of towing insurance. For example a neighbor drug anchor, and had drifted into shoal water when he called Tow Boat US his tow carrier. The boat was not aground, but when the tow boat arrived over 3 hours later (base only 5 miles away). The Tow Boat US declared it a "Salvage" operation, and and my neighbor in his confusion initialed the document. Charge was $9,000! Not covered by Tow Boat US. Eventually his insurance company picked up some of the cost, but he ended up paying over $5,000 out of pocket--the irony is that the tow boat could not pull his boat of, but upon the owners insistance drug the stern into deep enough water that he could use his own props to pull the boat off.

I have also seen two boats badly damaged by a towing service after hurricane grounding. I have also stood by a boat in distress where it took 9 hours for the tow boat to arrive. I didn't take that boat in tow (where I could have gotten him into the harbor before the tow boat arrived) because he had already called the Tow Boat.

Yes there are positive experiences, but be sure you know the laws, the rules of salvage and what tow boats can and will do safely. 50 years ago, there was no towing service--boaters took care of other boaters, and the CG was there if you needed them!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Wallkerbay

City/Region: virginiabeach
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Delfin
Photos: HUNKEYDORY
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i had my Bayliner, we got unlimeted towing. It saved us alot of money. I never did trust that engine. It would breakdown at bad times. The Boat U.S tow captains were very good at bringing a 28 ft boat back into the slip stern first. They were very courtious and very helpfull. With the Dory we have not had to use them. We will still keep it just for safety. Having your boat towed is not cheap. You pay for the time going to you and for them to get back to thier home dock. Smile Thumbs Up
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US Boat was always hitting me up for tow and boat insurance, but doesn’t offer it here in Alaska. I really liked the magazine but can’t subside to just the magazine, so not a member anymore. There really is no tow service were we boat. The CG will coordinate a tow with other boaters or sometimes perform the tow with one of their auxiliary boats. If a private boat performs the tow CG will maintain contact tell the tow package is delivered, seems to occur just about every busy weekend out on the sound.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
centerisland

City/Region: Mercer Island
Vessel Name: Lulu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Boat US's "Unlimited Gold" towing. Since it goes with me when I'm on my trawler in the PNW, RIB on the lake, and now my CD wherever I take it, I think it's a pretty fair deal.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had BoatUS and previously Vessel Assist for more than 20 years. I had to use them twice. Once when my single inboard threw a rod and once when my anchor latch broke in heavy seas. The anchor and chain fed out faster than my buddy who was driving could shut the engine down. The anchor and chain wrapped around my duoprop outdrive, ripping gears to shreds and cracking my stern. My bilge pumps worked fast enough to keep the incoming water from sinking us.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
50 years ago, there was no towing service--boaters took care of other boaters, and the CG was there if you needed them!

Bob, 50 years ago boating was a much more adventurous activity than it is today, more comparable to what would be regarded as an extreme sport today, I suspect. Today, your abilities, experience and confidence place you, I would guess, in a very select group three standard deviations above the mean. I have read the cautionary tales about tow services, the laws of salvage, etc. and all I can say is, "so?" There is risk in everything, and each of us must accept a level of risk that we are comfortable with. This is not to say that I will not continue to strive to improve my abilities experience and confidence -- perhaps some day, like you, to even go without towing services.

Warren
c-ness

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-weetness
Photos: C-weetness
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have BoatUS and hope to never use it. But, it is a bit of peace of mind to know that we can someone if we needed to. Part of the fun of boating is the surprise...and not all of them are of the pleasant variety.
damason

City/Region: Valparaiso, Florida
Photos: CHARITY
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Boat Insurance Reply with quote

I have my boat insurance with Boat US and also have been a member of Boat US since 1990. I have had unlimited towing insurance for most of those years. I have never needed a tow and have never had a claim. I guess I am lucky. I stay with Boat US because all the boaters that I know who have insurance with them always have received good and prompt service. They check out the damage and pay the claim. The Boat US tow people are good people also.

Several boaters that I know have had insurance with other companies and when the hurricane strikes and they have damage it is always a hassel to get any damage paid. Some never collected on their claim.

My money is on Boat US because of their reputation of getting the job done. Laughing

Once a C-Brat - Always a C-Brat!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren I am going to disagree with you that boating was a more adventurous activity in the past than today. Perhaps boaters then realized that they had a responsibility. True it is easier to navigate, there is some one perhaps more likely to bail you out if you make a mistake. However, the mistake can be just a deadly today as it was 50 or 100 years ago. No towing service will take the place of developing boating skills, and respecting the sea. Boats still are regularly lost, people drown just as they did 50 years ago--a tow boat policy will not change that.

Boaters should still be ready to standby other boaters in distress--although not all understand that obligation.

Regards,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: