The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

TC 255 Sponson Access Aft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: TC 255 Sponson Access Aft Reply with quote

The knee is getting better and I'm trying to get the cat back in the water. Found that my stbd fish box had had some leaves and stuff in it and in pumping it, it clogged the macerator pump somewhat. Have tried to back blow it with air and it bubbles through into the box just fine. I would have thought that that pump would grind stuff up, there was nothing "big" in there. It pumps a little (nothing like the port one though) and eventually the internal breaker trips and it has to cool down to run again.

It looks nearly impossible to get to to pull the hoses off the inlet and outlet. I can get one arm in the inspection hole and touch them but I wouldn't begin to know how to get them off. How do you guys do it if you have?

The same for the bilge pump wiring. The stbd one has lost power somehow, the light on the dash switch still turns on but I haven't been able to find a fuse or breaker that has tripped. I can just barely touch it by lying on the cockpit deck and reaching one of my stubby arms into the access port. Help!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

I'm hoping you poured some RV antifreeze into those boxes/pumps before the winter...

maybe a small piece of debris is lodged in the "choppers" preventing the initial starting.

I don't know an easy answer, but they must have had access to the pumps for installation. Or did they install them before bonding the deck, cockpit floor in?

Let us know what you find out. I bet Dr.Bob will have a good answer soon,

John
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have antifreeze in there. The pump works, starts when I push the switch but after pumping awhile, it trips. If I let it cool, and start it again, it runs for awhile, etc. It doesn't pump with the authority of the other pump. I blew air back through it hoping it would clear it and it seems to have helped somewhat. I'm thinking drano or something since the boat is on the hard and I could collect it.

There is access through the hatch in the transom but I really don't see how I could remove it. There is also some oblique access through the battery compartment. I can touch it but not with both hands. If I had a trained monkey, maybe he could get it. It must have been installed before the deck went on. They are not even attached to the transom but hang on their hoses. That hasn't been a problem but I don't like it but don't plan to change them. If it was easy, I might do it. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow morning when it's cool. It's already 90 here, heading for 97, just too hot for me to work outside.

In addition, the darn fuel filters are in there, not out on deck. They have the little drain feature and I know they ought to be moved but I'm just not agile enough to do it. Hate to take it to a marina/marine repair but I may have to.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see about the pumps hanging... that does not seem very reliable over time. I haven't even seen mine so far. And fuel filters inside? That would be a bit more dangerous than draining them from the aft swim deck as mine are installed, so all fumes go overboard.

Hard to understand how those macerators could overheat after starting unless some threads/line is getting stuck. Of course they need water going thru them or they overheat.

Maybe we'll have to cut the boxes out and make them removable somehow in order to service the macerators.

Will the C-Dory factory ppl give you any info about the macerator pump installation and service?

John
Tom Little

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our one month old TomCat is leaking at the starboard maceserator. The fish box fills in heavy rain. The hose connection at the box or at the pump or the pump itself is leaking and filling the bilge. The dealer plans to take the boat to his shop make the necessary repairs after he consults with C-Dory. It is not possible to access any of these parts without removing some flooring and possibily cutting new access holes.
Punta Gorda FL
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys should see what kind of a deal you could get on a 16 footer. (or a trained monkey). You could leave the big boat with the monkey to work on the macerator and all that other stuff and use the 16 footer for fun on the water. Sometimes I just cant help myself Laughing

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get some pix tonight. I don't think any flooring has to come out but the access port that is about 12x14 surely isn't big enough. That they are "hanging" doesn't bother me, probably a lot quieter that way.

Maybe Marc from Wefings will chime in and let us know how he'd do it if he had to.

I'm gonna put new fuel filters on the outside and just leave the old ones where they are. Lots easier than trying to "move" the ones that are there unless I put in a new access hatch.

Charlie
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suspician is that the macerators were installed before the cockpit floor was finished and installed, then the last connection was the thru hulls, which are reachable thru the aft hatches.

The fuel filters are a potential problem, but there are few spark sources in the hulls (perhaps the macerators or bilge pumps, but these should be ingition protected). However, in the long run, the fuel tanks and fittings could have problems--and lets hope that is way down the line--but especially on the stb side, this means some major work to remove the tank (like removing the head floor....).

If you can get a stubby screw driver on the end shaft of the macerator, there is a slot in it, and you can turn it backward to attempt to clear any debris. This would have to be an entirely "feel" operation with one hand, but I suspect it can be done.

Certainly maintance in this area is less than ideal.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Access Reply with quote

Yeah access to that area is tough. I have long arms and I found it hard to reach down there. I installed a shoot-thru hull transducer in that area and it was not easy.

Sorry to hear the macerator is jammed and hanging by the hoses - that is just awful work but fixable if you can find a trained monkey - ha! Same with the fuel water separators mounted inside. When it comes time to replace your fuel lines you might want to consider taking those out.

In terms of water in the sponsons, I have perhaps less than an inch such that the bilge cannot pick it up. I don't believe I have any standing water against my fuel tanks fortunately.

Good luck Charlie.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: