The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cooler Racks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Cooler Racks Reply with quote

Recently, I saw someone's photo album that had some shots of a very nice looking cooler rack that sat entirely outside the cockpit, and over the splash well. It was made of stainless tubing, with a t-brace down to the splash well. Looks like Yakima canoe braces to keep the cooler from sliding laterally.

Does anyone know what album this is in? I am thinking that plagiarism may be a great form of flattery. That was a good looking job.

Steve
flapbreaker

City/Region: Hillsboro
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Playin' Hooky
Photos: Playin' Hooky
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this in Libery call's gallery. This sounds similar but not exactly what you describe.

You can see more here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=LibertyCall&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

And obviously you not talking about this one either.

Other than those two I can't think of any others.

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the factory cooler rack and it's nice but you should be aware it limits the amount of tilt on your motor. In my case with a Suzuki 90 the motor foot won't come completely out of the water before it hits the cooler. It also makes it difficult to get to the swim step. Just food for thought if that is a concern to you.
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Spencer,

Thanks! The rack on Liberty Call is pretty close to the one that I saw earlier. I just sits quite a bit higher.

Steve
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

Not sure which ones you're talking about but I'm proud to show a way I fastened our large cooler behind a transom bar we have.

I did the thinkers pose for about 1/2 hour trying to figure out how to not drill any holes and this is what I came up with. It is very secure but some downsides are the engine can't swing up if we hit a log and the fender can slightly scratch the fiberglass in the splash well.

I also threw an extra photo at the bottom to show how nice it is to be fishing for Tuna with 4 guys/poles and having the cooler behind that bar.

Hope the ideas help and good luck with your design!

Crazy John Frazey CoolSmile

Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

John,

Thanks for the additional idea. That looks pretty simple, and it will still let me use the camper back. How hard is it to work the kicker?

If you want a tuna fishing partner, let me know. We can take either boat.

Steve
johnf

City/Region: Tigard, OR
Photos: Boat Name TBD II (johnf)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't used the kicker when the cooler is there. Used the 90 Honda for 7-8 mph trolling for tuna.

Am hoping to get in at least 1 trip this year...haven't been yet. Looked at forecast on Wednesday for Newport and it was saying 6-7 foot with 25 kt winds and gusts to 30...not sure what is actual weather today.

John

Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Cooler Rack Reply with quote

Steve,

I purchased the rack that you see in Liberty Calls' album from MWilson in Montana. He had bought the Liberty Call and removed the rack to build a different type for his needs. I also built a bait/cooler/cocktail/Coleman stove table out of Starboard using the picture that you can also see in the Liberty Call's album, for a pattern. It attaches to the rack with 4 small velcro fasteners with grometted holes that are screwed to the bottom of the tray. West Marine carries the velcro fasteners for use on holding dock power cords along a dock. The cooler can be set on the table or directly on the racks and held with bungee's. It does restrict the full movement of the engine all the way out of the water, but it is easy to remove the table and the rack itself does not keep the engine from being brought all the way up.
The rack is made with 45 degree fittings that can be purchased from West Marine for about $25 per fitting and with good quality SS pipe. Since the surfaces that the fittings are screwed to are not exactly 45 degrees, you will need to make some beveled nylon shims between the fitting and the fiberglass surface. Fortunately, they were already made for my rack.

Tad
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Tad,

Thanks, that helps!

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: