dog on board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary allen

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rosy B
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: dog on board Reply with quote

Here's a silly question for the dog owners: We are going to be taking our dog with us on trips. We chose the twin motor option, so we are having a side mount swim step installed. We are wondering how we are going to get our dog (a strong swimming labrador) back on board if we anchor and go ashore for picnics, hikes, etc. Any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Gary
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: dog on board Reply with quote

gary allen wrote:
We are wondering how we are going to get our dog (a strong swimming labrador) back on board if we anchor and go ashore for picnics, hikes, etc. Any tips?

Yup.

Do your best friend and yourself a favor; get him/her a life preserver. They are cheap, and even the best swimming of dogs can tire quickly if they accidently go overboard in cold water.

Not only will it help keep your pal floating, they have handles on top - helps quite a bit in hoisting them in the boat. And they're cheap - just ordered a couple up, about $25.

Just Google for "dog life jacket" - tons of places sell them, in all different sizes.

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...and don't forget to have a heavy dog towel on hand to drape over the gunnel when you hoist them in. Nothing like the nails of a large flailing pooch to scratch up your gelcoat.
Kay

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice meaty rib bone held up so he/she can see should do the trick!
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't care how big/meaty the bone is, no 80lb wet dog is going to vault over the side of a C-Dory from the water. They make ramp like devices that will hook to a boat that lets the dog swim up to and climb up. Look at Boat US/West Marine.

The twin engines make it harder but there may be room there somewhere. Even if you hook it to the side, if the pooch can get up on the ramp and give a good shake, you may be able to grab him/her and wrestle the critter on board.

That's why we've got a Silky Terrier (who would never get willingly into the water, so it's a moot point). He wears a life jacket with a handle on it on the rare moments he's on the pier or on the boat.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never know when your best friend might just go for a swim, even if by accident.

When I had my boat at the Ox Bow Marina in the California Delta a few years back, Shadow, my 145 lb Great Dane, accidently slipped off a finger out near the end of our shed, and, had I not heard her thrashing about some 40 yards away, might have gone down for the third time.

Hoisting a dog that size up out of the water wasn't easy, but necessity allowed me to grab her by the collar and get the front half up on the dock then proceed to retrieve the back end sequentially.

I'm sure she didn't have any idea of where to swim to shore among all the boats, and without a life jacket, she would have expired right there.

That time we were lucky. Maybe not the next. Get the jacket, its a great practical and peace of mind investment. Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Dog Reply with quote

Is it too late to change your outboard option? A swim-step is one of the best reasons for the single set-up. We have a big Yellow Lab and a German Shepherd. Both love to swim all day long. We beach camp and cook almost all meals on shore. Having the stern to shore and being able to step on the swim platform and onto the beach is a big plus. I couldn't count the times we jump in and out of the boat for this or that....

Someone posted a swim-step could be done with twins with some modification. If you are stuck on twins, check out Cabelas catalog. They have a ramp (gangplank) that goes from ground to the back of a pick-up or SUV for senior dogs to walk up. It is called the "PetStep ll". The material looks to be some sort of ABS. Is rubber coated and supports 500lbs. You might be able to tie one end to the cleat on the back corner of the boat and get the dog in around the engine and over the motor well. You could make something similar out of wood with a hinge in the middle to fold to save space.

We put a rubber backed rug over the swim platform and motor well. The dogs hop on a cooler when going into the cockpit. I sleep much better at night when the Shepherd hears a noise. She lets herself out the open zippered camper back. Hops off the back of the boat and goes on beach patrol. If all is well she hops back in and takes her spot atop the action-packer in the cockpit.

Chris on
"C-WEED"

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dog Reply with quote

C-WEED wrote:
Having the stern to shore and being able to step on the swim platform and onto the beach is a big plus.

Someone posted a swim-step could be done with twins with some modification.

We too like having the swim step on the stern and like you "C-WEED" we step from the beach to the swim step.
The photo of our swim step next to our twin Johnsons may be seen in our ("Sea Shift") photo album. (Les at EQ bult it for us). It worked great for us in July when we spent a week on Lake Roosevelt with an anchor buddy off the bow and a stern line to shore so we could pull "Sea Shift" back to shore so we could step on the swim step and into the vessel.

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dog Reply with quote

OK, this ain't about the dog (Oscar goes in and out via a dinghy or I wade), but I'll bite - what is an "anchor buddy"??

DaveS wrote:
C-WEED wrote:
Having the stern to shore and being able to step on the swim platform and onto the beach is a big plus.

Someone posted a swim-step could be done with twins with some modification.

We too like having the swim step on the stern and like you "C-WEED" we step from the beach to the swim step.
The photo of our swim step next to our twin Johnsons may be seen in our ("Sea Shift") photo album. (Les at EQ bult it for us). It worked great for us in July when we spent a week on Lake Roosevelt with an anchor buddy off the bow and a stern line to shore so we could pull "Sea Shift" back to shore so we could step on the swim step and into the vessel.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dog Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
[size=18]OK, this ain't about the dog (Oscar goes in and out via a dinghy or I wade), but I'll bite - what is an "anchor buddy"??

Anchor Buddy...........she's about 5' 10", slender, long dark hair Wink ......seriously, it's like a big bungee that you attach an anchor to, then you swing into shore secure a stern line, then cruise out from shore drop the anchor and attached "anchor buddy", then drag your vessel back to shore via the stern line. After stepping back on shore, loosen the stern line and the anchor buddy "springs" your vessel away from shore. When it is time to reboard your vessel grab the stern line (which hopefully you remembered to tie off on shore) and pull your vessel back to you and step back on your vessel. They are sold in sporting catalogs, GI Joes, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: