The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Need Tennessee River Info for july trip.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Need Tennessee River Info for july trip. Reply with quote

We're heading out on July 4th, putting in the Hiwassee River 12 miles from the Tennessee, planning to make it to the Tenn-Tom and back in 8 days.
We have a guide book and maps, but would like any feedback from folks that have done this stretch of the river. We're not too concerned about how many miles we travel, more concerned about enjoying the scenery. We'll be spending most of July 5th in Chattanooga, and then heading downstream with no shedule other than getting back.
If anyone has suggestions about points of interest that shouldn't be missed along the way...we'd appreciate it!

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
williamsburg

City/Region: Williamsburg
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DORYME
Photos: DORYME
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most beautiful spot on the Tenn. R. is the small village of Guntersville. It is surrounded by hills (foothills of the Smokies). The river splits into two creeks (Spring and Browns if the memory serves me) which makes Guntersville into a narrow peninsula. There is an in town marina which is in walking distance of excellent restaurants, groceries, and shopping. The main street is like stepping back into the 40's. You will not want to leave.
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry and Jo, This will be lenghty for a one fingered typest. You are headed for a beautiful river cruise.
heading downstream from Chattanooga about daymark451.8 you enter prettiest part of river. It turns back on itself a dozen times through the mountains. Here is an area with the widest range of plant life in the world outside of central China. About daymark 445.8 you follow an ancient earthquake fault with depys exceeding 135 ft.
About mile 420.3 you are in the Sequatchie valley which is one of the world's two rift valleys. The other is the great victoria valley in Africa.
About mile 378 is a nice marina, Goose Pond marina, and a few mile downstream is Guntersville which was mentioned in the other post. A great little resturant to wal uptown is K.C. Coytoe's (if still there).
About mile 333.3 is Ditti landing (huntsville). Not sure about transportation but would be worthwhile to get ride to Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. Lots of good NASA and Moon exhibits.
About mile 305 _ Decatur(riverwalk marina). Dock across river at small park and walk to historic area including pre-civil war bank.
About mile 285.0 is entrance to Elk River. I just completed a new home in cove where elk runs into the tennessee. I am going up from orlando about 7/3 for a couple of weeks and would be glad to have you stop. I could take you for supplies orn see the area. My phone is (256) 318-4608 cell. My house has a day pier and I have a covered slip at the subdivision marina. You can use either since my tug is still in Orlando.Go just past the hugh condo on the point and there are two day piers in the cove with mine being the short on behind the house. It is a red brick house with a white observation room in the roof. Give me a call now or any time if I can help.
About mile 277 is Wheller state park (great dockage) Mine is free!
About mile 256.1 is Florence harbor marina, good marina.
Have not traveled much past Florence yet so do not know much about it.
This was scrambled but hope it gives you some ideas and I know I will be glad to help if I can. Have a good trip and I hope to meet you.

Ron

snal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamsburg wrote:
The most beautiful spot on the Tenn. R. is the small village of Guntersville. It is surrounded by hills (foothills of the Smokies). The river splits into two creeks (Spring and Browns if the memory serves me) which makes Guntersville into a narrow peninsula. There is an in town marina which is in walking distance of excellent restaurants, groceries, and shopping. The main street is like stepping back into the 40's. You will not want to leave.

Thanks!...that's exactly the type of information we're looking for!
snal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
Thank you so much! We'll be in touch! We will have 2 dogs with us, so we don't want to intrude too much, but we would like to meet you. Do you know if there's good cell phone service in the area? I'm on Sprint and Jo is on Verizon.
Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, Not sure on the phone service for Sprint and Verison since I have always been with AT&T (and other buy outs) since in the 80's. Had service on most of the river. Some areas between the hills it was bad. With the towns along the way it probably will not be a problem. Good luck and you will not be sorry for this trip. Ron
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How uncanny. Spouse and I have been contemplating a move to the very area discussed. We have friends in Guntersville and Florence. Both areas are very tempting retirement spots for a CA homeowner. Geezer age and government retirement means zero property taxes and zero income taxes. Our only experience so far is virtual - or through the eyes of friends, since we've yet to spend more than a day in Alabama, mostly south. These posts are very welcome.

Thanks for the descriptives. Compared to CA, the thought of a 2900 sq ft. house on an acre or more with a private dock/boathouse for less than $300k still has us wondering "where's the catch?" That area is definitely targeted for a long stay on our first extended RV trip

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: tenn river Reply with quote

WE bought property up in Lake Tellico this is on the little tenn river up by Knoxville .We picked tenn because no state income tax and very low property taxes we still havent built yet but are going up there next week to check out some builders . Alabama has no income tax or property tax for federal workers is that what you said ?? inquiring minds want to know . anyway that whole heartland where byrdman does his boating is fantastic tennessee river system is unbelievable . Jim on Duck
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, It is a great area and we have built the 5th. home in the subdivision of 28 lots on the river. Come on over and we will start a C-Brat community. Some beautiful condos in the subdivision also. Go to the attached site to see the area layout. My home is on the lot with the short day pier on the left in the cove. If you come to the area give me a call fo info. We are about 39 miles from Florence and 80 miles from Guntersville.
Ron

http://www.christopherrealty.com/thepointe.html
Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Noticed in your album that your boat is in a bunk type dock in the water. I am considering one for my covered slip in the Tenn. river. What do you think of it and do you have any info. on use in fresh water?
Ron
Sneaks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: tenn river Reply with quote

jennykatz wrote:
Alabama has no income tax or property tax for federal workers is that what you said ?? inquiring minds want to know .

As far as taxes are concerned, I'm not up to speed on the "why's" for every situation but I do know that Social Security and my untaxed military disability retirement income doesn't count as income there and that being old helps too. On the other hand, my friend in Guntersville works full time and she only paid $179 for her property taxes last year and under $200 for utilities in the hottest month. Her place (for sale) fits my earlier description. Poor girl has to share a dock with 6 neighbors but it's only 400 ft. away from her back door. My Florence friend has a nicer home under 2 miles to a launch ramp and he pays zero property taxes 'cause he's just old and retired. Redstone Arsenal is a plus for us retired military types too and Huntsville, surprisingly, has a darn good airport with cheap flights to major cities.

Specifically, I get the impression that if your retirement income comes from the Feds then it doesn't count.

Definitely worthy of a visit and closer look.
Sneaks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Cowan wrote:
Don, What do you think of it and do you have any info. on use in fresh water?
Ron

I love it. I've had the "vinyl bathtub" for the Jenny B since it was dunked in seawater and it has very few issues. For more info go to the Armored Hull website. Mine is an earlier model and the company has grown tremendously since then. Since my boat is moored within feet of the company test boat, I often get to beta test chemical improvements etc. They're good guys in my book. Here's my personal pats and pans:

In seawater, marine growth is totally prevented from the hull itself. OTOH, the bathtub gets it all and it's heavy. Barnacles and mussels love it so once a year I get a diver to pressure wash it thoroughly. $100

Chemicals are fairly cheap and I use 3" pool chlorine tablets. In the cooler water months it takes less, when the water temp goes up it uses more. Two tabs suffice and last about 3 weeks in the cooler water, three tabs when it gets really warm.

The hull should be well waxed and regular waxing will keep the chlorine from fading the gel color. I have an unusual custom color and I didn't wax. The Jenny B needs a good detail with heavy oxide rubdown on the bottom now. No biggie, it's just cosmetic and I barely notice it. White and off-white hulls are apparently not affected.

Fall down easy to use. I get there, open one valve, and by the time I'm ready to leave the gate is down. When I get back, 15 pumps on the air supply pump puts the gate back up again. Once a year I use a pool brush to loosen any sediment, open the gate, pull the boat out about 3 ft. tie it down then put the outboard in reverse. It "blows" all the sediment out and makes it look new inside.

No, I have no connection with those guys beyond dockside BS sessions. Dennis is the guru of ArmoredGuard, so if you can talk to him, you'll get the latest. His wife is a close second and she sells dirt for a living like you do, so you'll have something in common. Tell Dennis Don Anderson from the Marine base marina sent you. Maybe he'll buy me a beer. Laughing

As for Florence/Guntersville, be ready for some private messages soon. Nothing like a dirt broker to winnow the current and future crop....

With that, I definitely am "outta here" because I don't want to hijack the thread.

Don
Ron Cowan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don, Thanks for info. I shall contact them.

As for being a dirt broker, I have no connection to the area other than love it and built my own home there. Am looking forward to PMs with questions. I am retired and do nothing other than boat and try to stay ahead of the honey-do lists.

Have a good day. Ron
RichardW

City/Region: Huntsville
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C Eagle
Photos: C Eagle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry and jo,

We hope that we can at least meet you within the constraints of your 8 day cruise. We live in Huntsville about 5 minutes from Ditto Landing at MM333.3 and are down there often. Pls feel to contact us by email or pm for more information and an opportunity to meet as you pass by or perhaps lay over at Ditto Landing.
Ron gave you some excellent points of interest to which I would add a few more to consider:
Chatanooga MM464.2 City Dock - you probably know all about this one but just in case; you can pull in and get your slip by cell phone and credit card. There is limited space for docking so you may want to call ahead but great access to downtown.

Hales Bar Marina MM431 LDB: You will have a beautiful cruise to here from Chattanooga. This is a nice full service marina and I believe that their river boat restaurant will be open in July. We stayed here last November to do the Tennessee River Gorge Fall cruise- beautiful. You can sample Nickajack Lake fall colors in our sub album here http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=C-Eagle&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Jones Creek MM388LDB: You can pull into the narrow marked channel in Jones Creek for a quiet lunch or a nap.

Goosepond Colony MM378RDB: An excellent full service marina that you will likely have to yourself at the transient dock this time of year. You may need to look closely to see the small channel markers into the narrow passage to the marina. The DOCKs is a very good restaurant accessible from the marina or by motoring around the point (stay in the channel markers if you go by boat).

Guntersville State Park MM362.5LDB: Guntersville has just remodeled their beautiful lodge with the most most spectacular high bluff view on the Tennessee. They had just built transient docking there and I will check the status for your July visit as it is brand new. Town Creek and Short Creeks border the park and make great anchorages. Watch for ospreys and bald eagles in this area.

Guntersville Lock and Dam MM 349: After you lock through the Guntersville Lock you will be in an area with year round bald eagles and a notable rock formation, Painted Bluff, around MM 345RDB. Shoal Creek just 1.8 mi.below the dam on the LDB is a great place to nose into the bank for a quiet overnighter.

Paint Rock River MM343.3 RDB: The Paint Rock runs 55+ miles north into Tennessee and is a quiet, untravelled river with unique fish species. Venture in a few miles to get the flavor.

Flint River MM 338.9 RDB: The Flint is very similar to the Paint Rock where you likely have it all to yourself on a weekday.

Ditto Landing MM 333.3: Hope we can meet.

Limestone Creek MM309.8RDB: This is part of the Joe Wheeler National Wildlife Reserve and an estuary for many migrating species such as American White Pelicans ,Great White Egrets, and many water fowl. Only a C Dory cruiser can get back into the shallow stuff.

Lucys Branch Marina and Restaurant MM287RDB: A dockside restaurant, fuel and transient docking.

Ron has all the sites that I know covered up until Florence: Joe Wheeler State Park Lodge and Marina is a very good full service facility and an easy lay over.

Natchez Trace Parkway MM 236.6: A historic location with lots of wildlife.

Waterloo,Al MM 237RDB: A historic, untraveled little village on Pickwick Lake. You can tie up to a small dock and lunch, nap or walk into town. A bald eagle hot spot. Go under the bridge and into Second Creek for a quiet anchorage.

Coleman State Park,Ms MM220.2LDB: A place to stop and get fuel or have a meal at the State Park Lodge.

Waterfall Cove MM217.3: Like several coves on this bank, a great place to overnight to the sound of a waterfall or pull in for lunch. Likely crowded on a summer weekend.

Yellow Creek/Tenn Tom Waterway MM 215.1LDB: The entrance to the Tenn Tom to Mobile Alabama. Less than a mile up the creek is Grand Harbor Marina, an outstanding full service marina and a great stop. Check out the gorgeous water front condo.

Pickwick Landing State Park, Al MM 208.2: A great spot to lodge, take transient docking or dine. Full service marina.

Hope this gives you some things to consider and hope to meet up.

Laughing Laughing

commander bill

City/Region: Centre
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: LenaBell
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liketime Alabama resident except when I moved away for military and few years awterwards to work. Been back now for 24 years. Any type public retirement (federal, military, military reserve, maybe state & countys) is tax free in Alabama. But I think ther emay be a ceiling. I still have a couple of years before I retire from Fed. Plus navy reserve when I turn 60. Alabama is especially good place for military retirees since the area has always been so pro-military even during Nam.

North east Alabama is mountains very much like east Tennessee & has 4 distinct seasons. Unlike south Alabama which has 2 seasons (9month summer and 3 month winter)

Sneaks, Always room for another submariner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: