The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Help...I need a new center window!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Help...I need a new center window! Reply with quote

My 22 angler is a 1994 model, and it got a rock nick while trailering 2 weeks ago. While on the water (sometimes rough) the nick turned into a crack all the way across.
We're leaving in 2 weeks for an 8 day TN River trip, so I need to fix this asap.
Is my boat pre-"diamond sea glaze" and/or can any safety glass be used?
TIA

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

Tell us about your TN River trip. Where will you start and finish the trip? Eight days on the water should be a great time.

Sorry I cannot help with the window.

Rob
snal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob & Karen wrote:
Hi Larry,

Tell us about your TN River trip. Where will you start and finish the trip? Eight days on the water should be a great time.

Sorry I cannot help with the window.

Rob

Hey Rob!
We put in at Knoxville last fall, and did a round trip to Watts Bar dam in 3 days.
We wanted to pick up where we left off on this trip, but after studying the charts/maps we decided to launch in the Hiwassee River at HR mile 12.9 (B&B Marina) and slow cruise to Chattanooga where we'll spend several hours touring the area. We've decided to take both of our dogs with us (older shi-tzu and a 4 month old boxer) so we've arranged for doggy day care while in Chattanooga.
We hope to at least make it to the Tenn-Tom waterway, but we'll be at the mercy of the locks.
We're not too concerned about miles traveled, we learned on the last trip that it's better to slow down and enjoy the scenery!
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the window out and take it to a glass shop. They should be able to hook you up. My sliding side window broke (don't ask) and Speedy Auto Glass was able to do it in Wasilla, Alaska. I bet you have a good glass shop near you that could and would help you out. However, I was surprised at the expense.
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1995
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Center window Reply with quote

Larry and Jo,

We have a 1995 22' cruiser. The brace for our front window broke out of the frame and was unfixable. I ordered a whole new window from Diamond Sea Glaze after removing it and measuring the rough opening. There was not problem with the fit, but it was expensive. Right about $550 delivered to our home on Merritt Island, Florida. I did get them to add an additional brace on the other side so that the pressure on the window when we are running and bouncing was distributed evenly between both braces. I tried to save the glass from the old window, but broke it while trying to take it out...it was sealed tightly into the frame.

Tad
snal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I hope to remove the frame and glass by removing the pins in the hinge...rather than trying to remove the entire frame and dealing with "that" seal.
I have a glass shop right down the street from my shop...if they can't make a replacement...then I'll get by with a piece of lexan for the trip.
Shouldn't this be safety glass?
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke the sliding window in Journey On, in an act of stupidity. It was tempered glass. The glass shop was able to order a piece of TEMPERED glass delivered in about a week. Afterwards the owner told me he could have cut a piece of laminated safety glass in his shop. Thanks. A local glass shop is your best bet, but as for laminated glass, since it can be done in the shop.

Boris
snal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the glass shop near me, and they can cut the glass (laminated safety) within 2 days. I'll install it myself. I didn't get a price, but will tomorrow when I drop off the old piece, which luckily stayed in one piece during removal.
Thanks all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: