The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Ranger 29
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Looking at the list, options, drawings etc--the "base price" (introductary) is about $239,000. Add in transportion, minimal extras (although some electronics are included), taxes, etc--you are looking at over $260,000--I would not be surprised to see a fully tricked out boat at close to $275,000, with trailer (needs permit). How times have changed. My first ocean going sailboat about this same size, cost me about $10,000 in 1962. My next boat which was 35 feet--two staterooms, with true stall shower--mail saloon--cost $22,000 in 1971...45 foot full racing boat ready to race to Hawaii cost $45,000 in 1975.

Frankly when I am looking at that type of money, I would be considering a larger used boat--but that is my personal preference.

Yet the Nordic Tug 32' go for a 100k more. Given this, I think there will be a market for R-29'. It's certainly a comfortable layout for two people who want to cruise 24/7.

I haven't figured out the "aft cabin" layout. If it's similar to my old Carver 3007 aft cabin, this "room" is a nice addition for a cruising couple. Great for guests, storage, even a small office or reading room.

-Greg
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the Nordic 32 as an example of a purchaser's available choices: Skipper Cress currently has a bristol 2004 Nordic 32 for sale with an asking price of $260K. This is a loaded boat with under 400 engine hours, and 260K is likely negotiable in today's economy. The Nordic 32 is WAY MORE BOAT that the R-29, not even comparable in my opinion. I wish Ranger tugs all the luck with their new flagship but I suspect they're coming on at too high a price point. Too, the various prices illustrate the high price to be paid for the privelege of buying new. Cheers, Mike.
tanker16

City/Region: Apalachicola, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: TIME BANDIT
Photos: Time Bandit
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the Ranger 29...check out Marc's last blog entry on the Wefings page for the latest skinny.
Tim
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westward wrote:
Using the Nordic 32 as an example of a purchaser's available choices: Skipper Cress currently has a bristol 2004 Nordic 32 for sale with an asking price of $260K. This is a loaded boat with under 400 engine hours, and 260K is likely negotiable in today's economy. The Nordic 32 is WAY MORE BOAT that the R-29, not even comparable in my opinion. I wish Ranger tugs all the luck with their new flagship but I suspect they're coming on at too high a price point. Too, the various prices illustrate the high price to be paid for the privelege of buying new. Cheers, Mike.

But....that's an '04 vs. a new '09. Besides, who knows how "inexpensive" the R-29 will be after 5 years.

-Greg
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there is nothing like that "new boat smell"
Marc

SGIRhino
Dealer

City/Region: Eastpoint
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The virtues of a new 29 VS a pre-owned 32 can be discussed ad nauseum. There are reasons that franchise auto dealers still sell used vehicles on their lots and reasons that people still go there to purchase new cars.

Having been in the sales business for many years I have learned that it's not PRICE that sells any thing or commodity but VALUE. If a buyer perceives that there is VALUE in having a dealer, a manufacturer and a specific warranty that is included in and stands behind the purchase price of a new vessel then it is not difficult to spend the extra money. If the purchase price exceeds the perceived value by only a dollar then it's usually a used unit that will soon be sitting in their slip.

We happen to believe that when you see the names; Ranger Tugs, Livingston, Messmer, Custis etc. associated with the boat you are considering for purchase that there is a LOT of value there! We are also eagerly awaiting the arrival of our first 29 Ranger Tug...and meeting her new owners!

Charlie

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for each buyer, there is the boat that is "just right"... when we bought our 25, we were looking for the boat that would fit our needs and not be any larger than necessary. That size difference between the Ranger 29 and the other larger tugs mentioned may be an important point for some buyers. It looks to me like Ranger has found another niche. We don't have any boat shows on our agenda this season, so I'll look forward to hearing all about this new model when someone gets to see it (and photograph it) in person.

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll tell you all about the Ranger 29, with pix, after the Seattle Boat Show, Jim.

With its lineage and customer service, I am pretty sure the Ranger 29 will represent excellent value. Whether it will be "just right" obviously depends on who it is supposed to be "just right" for...

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone can get a quarter mil for a 29' mini-tug it would most certainly be the folks at Ranger Tugs. I take the points about value being that which exists in the mind of the buyer rather than conventional notions of proportionality, the merits of available alternatives, etc. Ranger Tugs has done an excellent job of producing and marketing niche products that people with money are willing to buy. I looked out my window Thanksgiving day and saw an R-25 making it's way North up the central Sound then back again a bit later. Pointed it out to my wife. She remarked at "how cute" it was. That sort of emotional connection really plants the seeds of most boat purchases. I personally would be inclined to research "value" alternatives before committing that kind of $$ to the purchase of an R-29, but I'm sure these babies will sell. Regards, Mike.
C-Sick

City/Region: Renton
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Gratitude
Photos: C-Sick
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Lots of Variable To Consider Reply with quote

Steady Eddy - It may well have been Gratitude. We were headed from Des Moines to Elliott Bay. Great way for company to see Seattle Skyline.

I have a friend with a 42 Dever. We are always comparing notes about what is the best boat to own. Believe me he has some real advantages over me in terms of space and weight in the water.

What continues to make me content with our R-25 is

1. Customer Service From Ranger Tugs
2. Fuel Efficientcy
3. Moorage Rates and availability
4. Upkeep costs
5. New smell and everything works

He bought his boat for a lot less than mine but the time he brings it up to date it will be about the same.

The good news is we both love our own boats and really appreciate the benefits of each others.

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and let him try to put his 42 on a trailer and take it to Lake Powell for a couple of weeks! Shocked Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: