The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1000 watt Generator and 5000 BTU Air Conditioning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: 1000 watt Generator and 5000 BTU Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Yesterday I plugged a 5000 BTU air conditioner into my 1000 watt Honda Generator.

The AC claims to need 4.7 amps (564 watts) when running. If I use the 1.8 times factor needed for starting, I get 8.46 amps and 1015 watts. Here is what I learned.

I turned off the Eco mode, turned the switch to fan On, cooling Off. Then I pushed the On switch on the AC. Next, I advanced the cooling to max. No problem. It ran without strain.

The same process in Eco mode resulted in the generator overload kicking in and stopping electrical production when the compressor tried to run.

Next, I turned off Eco, turned the power switch of the AC off, set the fan and the cooling to low. When I turned on the power switch to the AC the generator went into overload and stopped producing electricity.

From this, I concluded that while I can start the AC as described above the overload will kick in when an off to on compressor cycle occurs.

Does anyone know of a reasonable "soft start" or capacitance device that will provide the help needed for the initial power demand?

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be trite, but it sounds like you have the best solution already (cheapest and simplest anyway). Just turn ON the A/C on "fan only" to start, then set for cooling once running. Maybe a placard attached near the A/C switches??

Thanks for the info. If I ever get an air conditioner, this is good info to know!

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Not to be trite, but it sounds like you have the best solution already (cheapest and simplest anyway). Just turn ON the A/C on "fan only" to start, then set for cooling once running. Maybe a placard attached near the A/C switches??

Thanks for the info. If I ever get an air conditioner, this is good info to know!

The problem isn't the initial start, it's when the compressor cycles off, then back on. That really spikes the power demand. I am surprised that the 1000 can even get it started originally.

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything that would work with a small generator (7.5kw and larger) for a soft-start solution.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1000 watt Generator and 5000 BTU Air Conditioning Reply with quote

Wanderer wrote:

Does anyone know of a reasonable "soft start" or capacitance device that will provide the help needed for the initial power demand?

The absolute cheapest soft start method is the one you described and James expanded on. You're pushing the limits of a 1kw generator but Hondas will handle it. I wouldn't try it with a Chinese clone though. And don't expect it to work at higher altitudes either. My 13.5k btu Dometic RV A/C worked with my 2kw Honda flawlessly at sea level. Got a bit cranky in Reno (mile high city).

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hard (soft) start attachment that some folks use with 7,200 BTU RV air conditioners that won't readily cycle with a Honda EU2000i genset. I don't have any personal experience with this but others say it works great and only takes about 15 minutes to install. See it at:

http://arnoldservice.com/compressor_hard_start_boosters.htm

Harper

Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George,

Good to hear from you and nice pics of Maine by the way.

I like it that you are making these tests with your equipment. Wink

Do you think this test is dispositive?

"Next, I turned off Eco, turned the power switch of the AC off, set the fan and the cooling to low. When I turned on the power switch to the AC the generator went into overload and stopped producing electricity."

Could you start the devices as you described in test one (with eco off) and let the AC cycle between cool and fan in a natural way and see what happens when the compressor kicks back in? I too am (mildly) interested in a small AC that will run or the 1000 watt generators.

Thanks,

Mark

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thataway runs one of the small AC units on a 1k honda. Maybe he will tell how he does it.

Steve
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5,000 BTU Artic King AC from WalMart runs on the EU 1000 generator. You have to leave the generator in "non eco mode"-that means that the engine is running full throttle all of the time--not throttling back when the load is taken off. Basically if you need AC, you probably need the AC on all of the time, you are not cycling it on and off. The 5000 BTU is barely adequate for the CD 25 (not tried it on a 22--works best with car windshield reflectors (reflective bubble wrap) and the curtains drawn, to minimize the heat intrusion thru the windows.

Don't need no "stinking airconditioner" in the Canadian Gulf Islands. Today was one of the first days with good sunshine, and even a temp where you didn't have to wear a sweat shirt and fleece jacker (for whimps from Florida).

No problem running 8300 BTU AC on EU 2000--as I recollect that will run in eco mode.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: