The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

LEVEL your Truck and Boat trailer!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: LEVEL your Truck and Boat trailer! Reply with quote

Let me share a few lessons-learned about leveling your truck and boat trailer.

When we took delivery of "Naknek" in July 2003 it was set up on a King 4000# double axle, bunk trailer with B-range bias ply tires. It "looked" acceptably level so we headed for Arizona. Everything seemed to tow fine, no sway, and very comfortable at highways speeds.

By April of 2004 we had about 5000 towing miles on the rig and I noticed Major wear on the inside shoulders of both front axle tires. Something was definitely wrong. Since the rear-axle-tires showed no wear I opted to rotate the tires to avoid a blowout, and give more time to study the problem. Sure enough, about 5000 miles later (on our way back from Prince Rupert) the front tires were again showing significant wear.

During all this I had consulted various folks at tire stores, and trailer manufacturers, etc. The fellow I spoke to at King Trailer advised me that with bias ply tires I could only expect upwards of 8000 miles on a set of tires! BS. The Very uneven wear pattern was telling me Something; I just didn't know what.

I figured the problem was that the boat was loading the front axle much more than the rear axle, and that was because the boat was too far forward on the trailer. I was only partially correct.

While back at the C-Dory Factory in July the folks there were very helpful. We measures the tongue weight (550#), overall weight 4900# (boat, motors, trailer, wet, loaded) and determined that the boat was properly placed on the trailer. (In my case, proper placement has the transom exactly even with the back end of the rear bunk.) We then measured the height of the trailer fore and aft. About 3" difference. Hmmm....

Next stop was King Trailer (Marysville, WA). Again, we measured the trailer to determine the degree to which it was out-of-level. Yep, that was the problem. Although the truck trailer rig didn't look grossly out-of-level it was enough to cause the uneven tire wear. I bought a new coupler, brought the trailer tongue up to the level of the truck, and things seems to be corrected (hopefully). The 1700 miles drive home was uneventful, and the new radial tires (C load range) show NO wear whatsoever at this point. Stay tuned. Oh yea, I also had them replace both front axle bearings that were shot, and repack the others. (If nothing else, I've learned that you can tow the C-Dory on one axle for a goodly distance if a tire blows! ...I was effectively towing with a single axle trailer.)

Moral of story: Check your truck/trailer for level!

Here's what the factory did:
(1) Hookup loaded trailer and truck (you want the load on the trailer hitch, as it causes the truck to "squat" somewhat thus lowering the overall level. Do the measurements on the most level ground you can find.
(2) Choose a particular point on the trailer so you get a standard measurement fore and aft (ie. top of the siderail).
(3) Measure the height as near to the hitch as possible.
(4) Measure the hitch between the double axles (or at the axle in the case of a single axle trailer).
(5) You now know how much your rig is out-of-level.
(6) Go shopping for a new coupler with the correct amount of rise! Your aim is to be within 1/2 inch of level (the closer, the better).
(7) Test drive your outfit for a few thousand miles while enroute to your favorite boating location!
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey...

Is your trailer rated at 4000# GVW or is the amount of weight you can carry 4000# ? IMO you may still have problems.

Read my posts in the trailer section. You may interpret my posts as just another unhappy trailer owner, but the substance is there and I can support it.

Bill
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Trailer Capacity... Reply with quote

As far as I know the capacity of the trailer is 4000# (they confirmed that at the factory). The trailer itself weighs about 1180 as I recall.

I also asked if there were any differences between the "structure" of my trailer and their 4600# model. Evidently the only difference is the tires they install. Presumably, by installing the C-Load Range radials, the (new) capacity is effectively 4600#.

...I'll read your posting(s).
casey
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. Thank you. I'll have to check the level next time the boat is on the trailer. I have noticed that the rear wheel hubs always get a little warmer than the front hubs. Maybe I need a little more drop on the hitch.

As for tongue weight, Les took the mystery right out of that for me. The first time I hitched it to the Dodge was at EQ. We cranked the jack off the ground and the back of the 1-ton pickup didn't even know it was sitting there. Les moved the boat about a foot and a half forward, and the truck lowered a half inch or so. "That looks better", he said. And, he was right - she tows great.

And thanks, also, Casey, for the many email updates on your adventure. You ought to put them all together in one document and load it onto the site for all to enjoy.

C-Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo,

Do you have brakes on all wheels? I'm just guessing that may account for the heat. Sometimes, the warmer bearings may need some adjustment if there is adequate grease in the hub

Bill
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Bill wrote:
Tyboo,

Do you have brakes on all wheels? I'm just guessing that may account for the heat. Sometimes, the warmer bearings may need some adjustment if there is adequate grease in the hub

Bill

Yep. Four wheel SS discs, and the rotors get mighty warm. The hubs aren't anything near what I would consider too warm. If the front ones got as warm as the rear ones do, I wouldn't give it another thought. The hubs are greased by whatever King Trailer calls their Bearing Buddies (I think they use Tie Down Eng. brand), and although I haven't refilled them yet, there is still plenty of plunger left. I suppose I ought to top them off before the next road trip.
C-Bill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo

Since I opened my mouth, I might as well take this a little further. I can't comment on the fullness of your hub as I'm not familiar with the Tie Down cap. I did contact a Chevron tech on the internet with regards to what type grease to use, in anticipating a heat problem from my disc brakes (4). He recommended Chevron's "Black Pearl" for my boat trailer application. I've been very pleased with it. No slinging of grease out thru the seal and the hubs stay very cool Cool . Thats the PRO side. The CON is that it is a synthetic and bad things happen if you mix it with petroleum based lube, not to mention what happens when you get it on your fingers (they stay black for a while). Naturally, the change over requires that ALL old grease be carefully cleaned out from inside your hub. If you don't, for sure you'll have some black cottage cheese looking stuff Shocked .

Goodnight all C-Brats!

Bill
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another tip on tongue weight. If you change the height of your hitch on a tandem axle trailer, you should also check your tongue weight as it will change drastically with a couple inch change. As the hitch is raised, the weight transfers to the rear wheels and vice-versa. I have played with the tongue jack on a platform scale, and seen several hundred pounds difference in just a few inches. Again, this is only for tandems, single axel setups don't change much.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minnow wrote:
If you change the height of your hitch on a tandem axle trailer, you should also check your tongue weight as it will change drastically with a couple inch change.

Just a heads up on the above - changing your tongue height on a trailer equipped with surge brakes may get you out of spec. Surge brakes are designed to function with the hitch height within a fairly narrow range. I don't know enough about this to give any numbers, and it may be different between manufacturers. On my trailer, the range was 15-17", if memory serves. This doesn't leave much room for height adjustment.

Best to call the trailer manufacturer if you aren't sure...

Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you are right about this. The bottom line is that the trailer frame should be level, with the boat positioned on the bunks for maximum support of the transom, and then adjust the axles fore or aft to give a tongue weight of 5 to 7% (as per Load-Rite), or as much as 10% if the vehicle hitch can handle it.
Ceez

City/Region: South Holland
State or Province: IL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an old post but those are some great tips you've given. By the way, I'm currently looking for good tow products to purchase. I still haven't decided if I should get the Blue Ox alpha tow bar.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When considering a towable rig, the boat/trailer is only one component to
evaluate.

Give equal consideration to the truck, especially the availability of self leveling
hydraulic suspension. I had it towing my CD 26 Venture (>8K lbs) on a Ram
1500 V8.

It leveled the rig without 'a hitch'.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "You'll be happier with your decisions if you look at more
factors weather than less."

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Foggy, you are responding to a spam poster.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Hey, Foggy, you are responding to a spam poster.

YUP, and he landed on several threads.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff here....other than the spammer dude. I also travel with a thermal thermometer to "shoot" the hubs n tires as I pull off for restroom and/or fuel breaks. Temp changes are indicators for looking closer if things are out of whack. And, have trailer wheels/tires spun balanced and when mounted, properly torqued for better ride and better tire wear. and go ahead...you can lube the receiver and all those moving parts.....before they rust over and don't function properly.
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: