The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tow Vehicle Observation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Tow Vehicle Observation Reply with quote

I recently had to take my F250 (2000, with 7.4L diesel) to Tillamook and back, also pulling my Gregor lake/bay boat. The trip came up just shy of 300 miles, took just under 16 gallons to fill up afterwards.

This last weekend, I took my Expedition over. Just over 300 miles, and took 18.2 gallons to fill. No boat.

I suspect each vehicle could have taken a bit more, but the pumps at the local station are programmed to shut off at $75, and that is what they did for both fill ups. It looks like I got about 2 mpg more out of the F250, even though pulling the boat. My guess is that i would have dropped a MPG or 2 with the Expedition if I would have used it for the tow vehicle.

So after all the rambling discussion, it appears that even with the vast difference between diesel prices and regular unleaded, it is at least a break even or maybe better with the diesel. Has anyone else noticed similar results?

Steve
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
If the fuel pumps shut off at $75.00 then how do you know that the tanks were full? Unless you start with a full tank and refill at the end of the trip I don't see how you could compute or compare mileage. My experience has been in general that diesel engines get about 20% better mileage and right now diesel sells for about 20% more than regular gasoline-close to a wash. In your case your diesel pickup probably weighs more than the SUV and would take a little more energy to propel down the road.

Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

It was a BGBG (best guess by golly) based on the trip computers in the vehicles. I suspect that each might have been able to squeeze in a couple more pints, but my guess is not much more than that. My belief is that even with the extra vehicle weight of the F250, plus pulling the small boat, I came out about even.

What ever happened to the days when diesel was less than regular?????????
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my slightly modified 2005 Chev. Duramax 3/4 ton crew cab short bed , I get at 60 mph [straightline ,no stopping or city stuff] 21.7 MPG without towing . It just goes down according to what I am towing . Pretty hard to beat with gas . I still like the room and safety. about 17-18 if I am real gentle around town . There are no appreciable hills in Fl.
Marc

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your f250 oiler is going to beat a gasser any day in mpg. With one exception: extreme cold weather in town driving as it will never get a chance to warm up as the gasser will.
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Wefings: "no appreciable hills in Florida"

Understatement of the year award, there. What's the highest point in the state? 300 ft I think. Flat, flat, flat. Smile

Just kidding around. No harm intended. I would have said "no noticeable hills in Florida"

We have speed bumps here that are probably tougher to get over than your hills.... I know my driveway is. I use 4 LO to back up the hill. No kidding.

Jeff
Zelpha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff
Try east Mallory ST (down to Bayou Texar) in Pensacola, Fla. Many a skinned knee on skates in the 30-40s. Barely able to climb on a bicycle.
Zelpha
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In North Florida near Tallahassee above I 10 we have what we call the Florida Alps . My wife says her ears pop . And why are there two towns near us called "Highland View" ?? http://geology.com/state-high-points.shtml
345' !!!!
Marc
snal

City/Region: Asheville
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Thelma Lou
Photos: Thelma Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the mtns of NC...I made a huge tow vehicle mistake. My 2002 F150 w/5.4 gas had plenty of power, towed our 22 Angler like it wasn't there, especially with the overdrive off on the 4 speed auto.
My 2008 F250 with the same engine and rear end, but with the 5spd auto doesn't tow worth a crap! The tow/haul mode on the tranny doesn't keep it out of 5th gear, it simply changes the shift points and uses the tranny to help break. The tranny also has a useless 3rd gear only that is just that...it stays in 3rd...and doesn't downshift...I can't think of anything that this would be usefull for!
2002 f150 5.4...
17mpg
15mpg towing

2008 f250 5.4
12.2mpg
11.8mpg towing

Currently looking for a steal of a deal on a 25' "Thelma Lou II"
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realized I moved from the highest state in the lower 48 to the lowest..........
Marc
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, hate the shut-off at $75 on most of today's pumps. Coming back from the Chesapeake CBGT I faced those twice and re-inserted my card and pumped another 5 gallons or so each time.

RE: trip computers. The one in my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel consistently shows mileage that is 2-3 mpg on the optimistic side.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Wandering Sagebrush

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Trip Computers Reply with quote

Nick,

The MPG portion of the trip computer on my F250 is exactly the opposite of your Dodge. It gives the average over time. As I often have a 3300 lb camper on the back, my average mileage is 15.1 over the 53,000 miles on the beast. Depending on terrain, I get 13 to 14 mpg with camper and big boat behind and close to 20 with no load. Most of my trips are from near sea level with at least a 2000ish foot climb, often to 4000 feet if going to the east and over the cascades.

Regards,

Steve
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a real question...... I have a Chev gas pick-up that towing gets about 15 on flat ground..... 11 in the mountains.... My son has a nice 1997 F350 extra cab with a Diesel that he claims will give me 20 mpg towing and he claims that it will do it with my C-Dory behind it.... Maybe I should trade trucks with him..... ??????

Joel
SEA3PO
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, I think your son has been too close to that tailpipe! Smile

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
C-Gypsy

City/Region: Oriental
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Gypsy
Photos: C-Gypsy
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
That's a real question...... I have a Chev gas pick-up that towing gets about 15 on flat ground..... 11 in the mountains.... My son has a nice 1997 F350 extra cab with a Diesel that he claims will give me 20 mpg towing and he claims that it will do it with my C-Dory behind it.... Maybe I should trade trucks with him..... ??????

Joel
SEA3PO

Joel? Trade him trucks. I drove an F-350 with the International 7.3 engine for 5 years and traded it last sumer. I was able to tow my C-Dory back & forth from PA to NC and get 20 mpg (no speeding).

Last summer I traded the Ford on a 2007 Dodge because I wanted to try the Cummins engine (drove Ford diesels since 1986).

I love the power of the Cummins, but starting in 2007 diesel engines have pollution control on them. Fuel mileage has dropped accordingly.

My Dodge has a 6-speed manual transmission, an engine brake and I added the high-speed idle option. It's almost the perfect tow vehicle (for me)! I drove tractor-trailer (pulled doubles) for many years, so my Dodge feels like "home" to me.

I can tow my C-Dory from NC to PA and not downshift at all. Just set the cruise at 70 and enjoy the ride. The engine brake holds back so much that I am forced to give it fuel going down hill.

As for mileage? I would guess around 16 - 17 while towing the C-Dory. I will be towing the boat back to PA next week and will post the mileage.

If I could change one thing I would have bought the Dodge in 2006, before the pollution control stuff was added.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: