The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Custom Covers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbadmin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Custom Covers Reply with quote

After mulling over several options, I decided the best solution for keeping Da Nag out of the weather was a custom cover.

A local shop (Allen's Upholstery in Martinez, CA - 925-229-1457) did the work, and the quality is excellent. Material is Sunbrella. Backing was installed at all stress points, and the fit is perfect. Additionally, the shop owner had some good ideas I've not seen done on other covers.

My main concern was access to the cockpit and cabin while covered. Initially, I planned on having a zippered fly on one side. While Allen's was happy to do this for me, they suggested an alternative which has turned out to have numerous benefits - a two-piece cover.

Installation is quite a bit easier, particularly when doing it singled handed. It's much easier to handle two smaller pieces than one large one. Total installation time, including tying to trailer takes about 10 minutes with one person. If your first mate helps out, you can probably cut the time in half.

The seam is just aft of the rear cabin edge. Access from either side after the boat has been covered is very quick. There are two zippers that start at the top in the middle, and zip down on each side. Pick a side, loosen one rope, and unzip - you're in. They used very high quality, double-sided YKK zippers, and sealed the seam beautifully - not a drip of water made it in the boat during the heavy storms we've had in the last month.

Nylon straps were sewn in on both pieces at the zippered edge. This allows installation of only one piece at a time - just the front for long distance towing (works like a car bra to keeps the bugs and chips to a minimum on the cabin top), or just the rear for a nice enclosure for overnighters.

The aft section was made large enough to cover the top of the main and kicker. Everything tapers perfectly, no water puddling at all.

I posted a few pics in the Hull, Deck and Fittings album, a complete set is at my site (link here).

Bill

Nice cover Bill. I know you are smiling now with your boat all clean and covered. It makes all the difference.

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: