Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary allen

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rosy B
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: outfitting new boat Reply with quote

As a neophyte boater who is now trying to decide on the vast array of electronic choices for my new 22 cruiser, I find myself a bit bewildered. The representative at Maritime Electronics about has me talked into a Furuno 1723C color radar/chart plotter unit, which also has a depth sounder/fish finder unit that can be interfaced with it. Anybody have an opinion on that option?

I have wondered if it's wise to purchase an all in one unit--if anything fails the whole system goes down, I guess. And I have also read about the problems with transom mounted transducers for the depth sounder.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Gary
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss out my brief opinion - biased as it is... Laughing

If you want an integrated system, i.e. one with RADAR overlay on the chartplotter, autopilot tied into the chartplotter, etc., take a close look at the RayMarine systems. A number of us have this setup on newer boats, and it's the bee's knees...

If you want to save some cash and not go integrated, stick with Garmin for the chartplotter/sounder, and either RayMarine or Furuno on the RADAR, if you are thinking RADAR. The large color Garmin chartplotters/sounders have beautiful displays. I've used both Raymarine and Garmin, and have found the cartography software on both to be pretty equal - some pros/cons on both sides.

RE hull mounted transducers - some have problems, most don't when mounted properly. The most common complaint (I suffer from it as well): loss of bottom acquisition when in very deep waters and cruising at higher speeds, i.e. 300+ feet at 16+ knots is a situation where I'll lose it. As soon as I slow down, it will pick up the bottom fine.

Use the search function above to get more details on any of this stuff - it's been discussed quite a bit.

Have fun!

Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went the Raymarine route on my new 22 CD, getting the C80 Super
System. Includes Radar, GPS, sounder and with the auto pilot the bundle makes for a really slick setup. The C series is fairly new and it looks pretty slick. Nice large display and they claim intuitive to use. Can't really speak to the latter as I'm still reading manuals.

Lots of good ways to go but you might want to check this one out.

Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: RayMarine System et al Reply with quote

I have the integrated RayMarine system (radar, plotter, sounder, etc.) and generally like it (but the C-Map chips get a little pricy if you trailerboat to several areas!). DaNag is correct - the C-Map cartography is generally ok, but I think the Garmin BlueChart cartography may be slightly better, but the RayMarine system won't accept the Garmin cartography (duh...).

Prior to our April trip to Lake Powell I ordered the appropriate C-Map chip for the Raymarine system. Wouldn't you know, it didn't arrive (we even delayed two additional days hoping it would come in). As a result, all I was able to see on my fancy-smancy Raymarine was a completely blank bright yellow screen. If the Raymarine system has some builtin background cartography (like Garmin), I haven't found it.

As a result, I pulled out my trusty little (...six year old) Garmin GPS 3+ with it's Lake Powell MapSource cartography and it worked just fine. The MapSource data isn't as good as the BlueChart or C-Map cartography but what is lacks in detail is made-up-for by the fact you can load virtually anthing/anywhere. The same goes for Garmin's similar product that depicts water oriented cartography (but not in BlueChart detail).

Question: Does RayMarine offer a similar nationwide CD that we can use to upload even basic nav data (?), or must we buy a C-Map chip to see anything at all? (I think I know the answer to that question; so I'll keep my trusty Garmin handy.)

One additional thought: Check-out Garmin's iQue 3600 personal digital assistant (PDA). The 3600 has a built-in GPS, color screen, and will accept both MapSource cartography as well as Garmin's BlueChart...and it's small. Very cool.
( http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/ ) I bought one for Sandy's birthday, but she's so captivated by it I don't get to play with it very much. (Note: If you buy one of these for your wife, make sure to arrange visitation Rights beforehand!)

Casey
"C-Dory Naknek"
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in your position, Gary. C-Dory on order, electronics choices being made. I've got two commercial fishermen as stepsons, one in Alaska, this moment heading for Kodiak and crab season, the other fished out of Barnagat Light NJ 'till he got smart and quit. They constantly preach "Furuno separates." They have the luxury of room and a penchant for the high end commercial stuff. On the other hand, keeping the "simple C-Dory" simple says a lot for combined units. It depends more on your budget and the actual (not perceived) end use. Where are you located? I think it makes a difference.

Right now, just like listening to the constant nitpicking among Ford Chevy and Dodge diesel pickup owners, you're gonna get lots of opinions as to what's "best." RayMarine, Furuno, Garmin, and Lowrance all put out dynamite chart plotter/GPS combos with sounders. Furuno and RayMarine have nice radars as well as great sounder/fishfinders (now that RayMarine solved their software problems) and as your dealer pointed out, they both have beautiful display choices and fully integrated systems. Their target market is the 34-38 ft. sportfisher market and they do well there. Are they "overkill" on a C-Dory? Not at all. Are they absolutely necessary? Nope. You're absolutely right, Gary. It's bewildering. A Furuno GP1850WDF with a JRC 1500 MkII radar was my "final answer" for almost a month. Two units, but the radar display is easily removable and stowable on board, so it's only taking up a little room, is still there for an emergency, but keeps my wallet happier. Here in the San Diego area, a radar is rarely used. and the budget fit my limits, plus it would keep the kids off my back. Unfortunately, the 10" displays are mighty tempting, especially with chronologically disadvantaged eyes like mine.

Don't discount the possibility of a used system either! Die hard fishermen are constantly upgrading and switching to the "latest and greatest" if it will give them even a tiny advantage while hunting Yellow Fin Tuna, Albacore, or Marlin. http://thehulltruth.net/ or http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com trade/barter and electronics forums will give you even more bewildering choices with occasional great opportunities. Certainly more information than you can imagine!

Bottom line? Have fun and let your checkbook make the final cut. Mine finally did. I picked up a slightly used Lowrance LCX-104C combo with the 10" color display for half the new price. Not a scratch on it, the latest software will read Navionics Gold charts, I can play back my entire trip at home on my desktop PC afterward, and my eyes are happy too. The seller? A 38 ft. sport fishing boat owner who decided to upgrade to the Furuno 1833C NavNet system.... Did I save anything? Naw. It just gave me room to buy a stainless steel radar arch/rocket launcher combo as soon as now....

Happiness is spending yer kids inheritance.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
gary allen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good commonsense advice, Don. That's the problem with this modern world--too many choices!

Pocketbook and convenience will certainly drive my final decision making, but I'm leaning toward the all-in-one unit, given the C-Dory's tight space and philosophy of simplicity. I do feel I need the radar and GPS--I will be boating a lot off the Sonoma and Mendocino coasts where dense summer fog can be a daily occurrence.

Good luck with your boat! It must be helpful to have the fishermen in the family--voices of experience.

Gary
Sneaks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gary. Actually, their fishing techniques are far different than us "normal" guys. Long lining, crabbing, commercial fishing off mother ships. Whole different world. Also a dying world here in the US. Salmon fishermen out of King Salmon AK got all of 36 cents/lb for their catch this year for red salmon and now it's down to 10 cents/lb for pink salmon where he's at - and it wasn't that good of a year. Sad. Especially since San Francisco fishmarkets are selling his catch for just under $10/lb.

Changing gears, YAY, I got a build date 30 minutes ago ! Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Plus I was able to change my order to get the famous "Barber Chair" front facing seat option thanks to the "Heads Up" from other forum users here. What a great font of C-Dory knowledge. Construction begins Friday the 30th. Color me stoked, because it should be in front of my house before October.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks wrote:
Plus I was able to change my order to get the famous "Barber Chair" front facing seat option thanks to the "Heads Up" from other forum users here.

All right, Don! You get to drink the good stuff! Beer Beer Beer
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raymarine C80 owners,
This is the system I will be getting on my CD soon. I was told by a local dealer that it was not possible to get electronic charts for Canada at this time. Something about Canada not letting companies copy the charts.

I am palnning a 2-3week trip to Desolation and the gulf islands and would like to have the Navionics gold charts.

Does nayone know about this?
Thanks,
Steve
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabran wrote:

Does nayone know about this?

There is an ongoing dispute regarding this issue, and for a time earlier this year, you could not get Canadian charts - C-Map or Navionics.

However, C-Map/Navionics have basically ignored the outrageous licensing demands of the monopolist that controls the Canadian chart distributions, and have resumed shipment even though they have no license to do so. Their position - not distributing the charts while the dispute is ongoing is a major safety issue, and they're not willing to put their customers at risk.

You can read about it at this link.

A quick search turned up this link - looks like the Navionics Gold chart you would need is available (2G913XL - Vancouver Island and Puget Sound).
gary allen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don--congratulations on getting a build date. I was told today my boat should be finished around the 20th of August, then needs to be transported down here and rigged with motors and electronics. I'm hoping to be on the water in October, the last month of salmon season on our section of the coast.

By the way, I just finished reading "The Hungry Ocean" by Linda Greenlaw, the female swordfish boat captain of "The Perfect Storm" fame. It's a great description of the kind of longline fishing you were referring to in your earlier post. A totally different fishing world than I've ever been exposed to.

Gary
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Raymarine c-70 system with the overlaping radar - love it. (went with a stand alone depth finder - not much fishing). The chart I purchased back in May is the one Bill mentioned above, Olympia to Port Hardy. No new chips until I plan to go back to Southeast Alaska!
Sneaks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, I just finished reading "The Hungry Ocean" by Linda Greenlaw, the female swordfish boat captain of "The Perfect Storm" fame. It's a great description of the kind of longline fishing you were referring to in your earlier post. A totally different fishing world than I've ever been exposed to.

Hi Gary, congrats yourself. Did you opt for the "Barber Chair"? I decided no refrigerator, but added the Walla just as insurance come resale time or maybe if we get crazy and move north. What color trim did you get?

Steve was the skipper of the Provider and the Mary B out of Barnagat and all the skippers knew/know Linda if they operate north of New Jersey. His boat laid up in a New England port ahead of that terrible storm. Mary, his mother, was only able to watch the first part of the movie and studiously avoids fishing documentaries to this day.

This is Steve's first Alaskan trip and he's amazed at the differences between coasts. Now he's working on a barge-like "tender" that literally vacuums fish out of the individual fishing boat brine tanks and transports the catch to the canneries ashore for 2-3 cents/lb.. His observation: The east coast is made up of numerous individual entepreneurial fishermen/boats. Alaskan fisheries are BIG business! In the east, skippers are paid by the distributor and dole out portions to the crew. In Alaska, everybody is paid by the cannery.

I'd describe it in his language, but I think the Head Nerd would bust me for it.
gary allen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

I also opted for the Barber Chair and the Wallas stove. Got bottom paint too since I plan to get a slip at Bodga Bay. Anchor deck pipe and the side mount ladder for my diving and spearfishing buddies as well as for access to kayaking. No ice box. It sounds like we are thinking similarily. We choose the cabernet trim color. One of the things we still need to do is name the boat! Kicking around a few possiblities at this point.

Let me know how things are going,

Gary
Sneaks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Gary, I'll be really excited when you get yours because mine won't be far behind.

We knew a windlass was gonna be an immediate buy so we passed on the pipe, and the gods in Kent are putting a pivoting anchor roller in and drilling the locker drain for me. What other boat mfg would be so accommodating? Those guys are great.

We happened to be at the dealership in Anaheim when a C-22 owner drove up for his 20 hour service and we really liked his trim color. Didn't find out until later that it was a custom color. I think it's called "Wheat." We just pointed and said "Just like that one".

Have fun with the names. I wanted C-nile, but spouse really got tight jawed over that one. No sense of humor when it comes to senility.

Looking forward to meeting you at one of the gatherings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: