Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Alok wrote:
Twin counter-rotating Suzuki 150s.

Top speed 45 mph with full gas, water, and bottom paint.

After adding a bimini, Permatrims, and the usual stuff that collects on a boat, top speed is 43 mph.

How are you propped, and what RPM are you running at WOT? Do you have a weight figure for your boat in the water?

Warren

Warren: My boat is set up the same way as Dr. Bob's (see his info above). I do not have a weight for the boat.

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3X16"X21.5" Genuine Suzuki Props for Bob and Alok and Matt. Port motor on Stbd side and Stbd motor on Port Side.
Marc

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Port motor on Stbd side and Stbd motor on Port Side.
Marc

Please explain the benefit of this.

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Doryman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am propped OK after all. On the way to Cap Sante I opened her up to WOT and trimmed as best I could. Reached 5700 RPM (did not get that high when trimmed incorrectly before) and 39 MPH. The RPM published range is 5000-6000. Does the fact that I get to 5700 RPM mean I am propped correctly or are there other measurements I should be taking?

Thanks,
Warren
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if cats are different, but mechanics say you want to be on the high side of the range, gives some range for higher loads and higher altitudes if needed. Sounds perfect!
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer the "backwards turning" prop question , We have found with planing type catamarans that there is a slight gain in speed [probably related to "bite" in cleaner water,or lack of slip] and no steering downside as you would have with closely spaced props on a monohull . Not exactly sure why , but we have done it this way for years on our Tomcats and Twin Vees and Sea Cats , and it works ! Dont know if it would make a difference on a pure displacement Cat like a G.B.
5700 is quite acceptable [ for a 4 stroke Yamaha] RPM with a load in the boat . The pitch Vs. Diameter you have is good . What you can gain by changing blade shapes is the ability to trim the bow higher . That is important on Cats . I usually suggest folks to trim up [ at speed] till the motors cavitate , and then back it down till they bite again and note those positions if you have trim gauges or "time it" if you dont . You need to drive by feel . Dont be afraid of the trim buttons ,they are your friend.............
Marc
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
Port motor on Stbd side and Stbd motor on Port Side.
Marc

Just be sure you know how your boat is equipt . I launched at Punta Gorda, after putting on the props. I had removed them to trailer cross country- too easy to have stolen. I put the boat in reverse to back off the trailer, and nothing but frothing the water. After a couple of trips up and down the ramp to look at the props. I finally realized that the right turning motor was on the port side and the counter turning motor was on the stbd. side. I removed the props and reversed the placement, and all was well again. I had always removed the props to trailer on our TC 24- mostly in Mexico- and that boat had the CC motor on the port side.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent , you oughta try it with 2 righthanded props , I had the pleasure of trying to get one off the trailer that way once . Its pretty twisty and torquey...........
Marc
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: More trim today Reply with quote

Today the water was calm and I decided to experiment with trim a bit more. I brought the engines up until cavitation then back a pinch with WOT. I was able to get 6000rpm on the port engine and 5700 on the starboard engine, max speed 40.5 knots or 46.64 mph on the GPS. My boat lists to starboard right now (I assume from water tank) and I suspect if I trimmed the starboard engine up a bit more to compensate I would get a little more rpm.

I'm curious what others are reading for an exact max speed on the GPS? Bob I don't know how you are "well over" 40 knots! Your engines must be supercharged!

It was warm and humid today so perhaps in crisp fall air I might get a bit more. The top end is not particularly important to me but I want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark with other Tomcat owners. I'm very pleased to be running just under 47mph on a 28' (stem to stern) boat!

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are indeed at Fenway as far as the RPMs go.
Your transducer could be affecting the RPMs between the motors as well if its close to the middle of the sponson .
Marc
Doryman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last run, trimmed but not to perfection, through a very slight chop, was 39 mph at 5700 rpm WOT. Wonder if salt water is slower than fresh?

Warren
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: WOT Reply with quote

My transducer is an in-hull (shoot thru hull). Also my boat only sees salt water unless she is being rinsed!

I have bottom paint of course. I'm trying to remember now if Bob has bottom paint since Thataway is kept on a lift? If no, that would definitely explain a few knots at top end.

Warren, what are the specs on the Yam 150's? You're running those with peratrims if I interpret your pictures correctly. What are your props? I know the Suzuki 150 has the largest engine block for all 4-stroke 150's right now. I'm sure as with all technology this will change in 10 minutes but I wonder if that difference is enough to cause a 7 knot difference between our vessels? It could be several things though....props, amount and possibly type of bottom paint (my paint is hard, perhaps ablative paint would be slower through the water), gear aboard, etc.

As an aside, I learned what just a little slime can do to a boat. My former boat developed a bit of slime, not much at all, and my rpm was down about 1000rpm and the top speed to match. I thought for sure it had to be an engine problem. I had the engine checked out...compression...the whole 9 yards. No problems were found and nothing was done. I power washed the vessel and my rpm's and top speed returned. It was a significant change in performance, way more than you would think with just a little slime on the hull. I'm sure sail boat racers already knew what I had to learn but it was an eye opener.
Tom Little

City/Region: Punta Gorda
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: TomCat
Photos: TomCat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On sea trials on our month old TomCat, the Evinrude Etec 150s had 3X15 1/2X15 counterotating props. We hit 46 mph with a relatively light boat. After filling the tanks, installing air conditioning, and all the other stuff for cruising, the max speed dropped of to 38 mph with the max rpm at 6200. Friday, the dealer installed 3X15 1/2X17 inch props. Now the top speed is 43 mph at 5500 rpm. This is for a relatively heavy boat in a two foot chop. These engines max out on torque at 5300 rpm so this must be the right prop for this boat at this time.
Punta Gorda FL
Wefings
Dealer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did one with Suzuki 175s , and the owner tweaked the heights and brackets and is a 50 MPH plus Tomcat .He is a performance type of guy . Matt,the paint is probably the difference for you . In terms of top speed , Honda will be the slowest ,surpassed [and passed] by Yamaha and E tec , and Suzuki will be the fastest . All good motors , different characteristics .
Marc
Doryman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wefings wrote:
In terms of top speed, Honda will be the slowest, surpassed [and passed] by Yamaha and E tec, and Suzuki will be the fastest. All good motors, different characteristics.

Interesting. Can you tell us more about your opinion of the different characteristics of each in the 150 hp model?

Thanks,
Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: