Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HiCap

City/Region: Cranston
State or Province: RI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Mouse
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Delta 9# for a 22' Reply with quote

Does anyone have an opinion on the Delta at 9# for the 22' cruiser? I was going to use a 14# with 12' of chain, but I don't want to change the bail if I don't have to, so would 9# with 12' of chain be acceptable?

Peter
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the 9# would be too small--fluke area.
I would go with the 14 and if necessary remove the bail--not a big job, and if you keep the anchor well secured, not really necessary to have a bail....

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
HiCap

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. If the stock won't fit thru the bail I'll replace it as suggested in my first post. Thanks.

Peter
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiCap,

This was my response from your first post:
Jazzmanic wrote:
Timely question. I just changed my anchor to the 14# Delta Fast Set. I had the standard anchor roller and it didn't quite fit under the bail. I found a replacement bail at West Marine. Very pricey at $42.99 but half the cost of the cheapest anchor roller. By the way, the bail is called a boom bail and is designed for the boom on sail boats. The size is 2 1/4" width by 3 3/4" length and made of high quality stainless steel. You can find it in the catalog but not online.

Sorry HiCap, I can't give an answer for the Manson Supreme.

I wanted to install the 14# Delta Fast Set right away, that's why I bit the bullet and bought the spendy boom bail from West Marine. If you google boom bail, there was an online store who sold a similar size bail for $26.00. The second option would be to take the old bail off, measure it for thickness and width of the strap, and have a metal fabricator fabricate one for you, with just a little more length, 4" to be safe. It's just a simple strap with two holes drilled in and bent into a U shape, the hole size on the bail I bought was 5/16". It would probably be fairly cheap to make one of these.

Good luck in your decision.

Peter
C-Dancer
HiCap

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzmaniac, you be right on. I bit the bullet and bought the bail. With the Delta we did our first two over nighters in Narragansett Bay, RI. Easy and secure. Thanks for the tip.

Peter
Jeanie P

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Jeanie P - sold 11/08
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a Delta 9# with all chain rode be close to the same as using a Delta 14 # with 12' chain?

Allan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you want the fluke area. The weight of the chain will not make up for the smaller fluke area. Also much of the weight of the Delta is in the area between the flukes, which helps penetration of the anchor.

I believe that the roller was designed for the "Claw" anchor--it might be a good idea if C Dory were to consider a roller with a larger bail.

The 9 would be fine for a stern anchor or lunch hook, but for the primary anchor I would want at least the 14. I also have had excellent results with the Manson Supreme--after my use of it many nights this summer, I have to say it is probably the best anchor I have used. The Manson 25# does have a larger stock than the Delta, so it also requires a larger bail--but it will fit on the standard bail of the CD 25. I had to "peak" the bail a bit....I suspect that if you changed the shape of the 22's bail, it would probably be OK with the Delta 14.
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW a new bail can be fabbed out of 1"x1/8" aluminum strap with just a drill and hacksaw. The soft aluminum can be bent by hand around just about anything, I used a piece of pvc pipe that happened to be the right radius.
Jeanie P

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Jeanie P - sold 11/08
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on the water today and I couldn't help but keep looking at my
9# Delta achor. It sure did look small.
Thanks. I'll look into changing out the anchors.

Allan
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 14lb Delta with 20 feet of 1/4 inch chain and 200 feet of 1/2 inch line. This setup has worked great so far, holding well on 3:1 scope in normal conditions. The anchor fit under the standard bail that was on our 22.
jlastofka

City/Region: Vista
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Bossa Nova
Photos: Bossa Nova
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Anchor roller Reply with quote

Something to consider when making changes in your setup is a possible changeover to the tilting bow roller assembly that Lewmar sells to go along with the Delta anchor design. The combination works extremely well. The anchor self-launches and self-stows very reliably.

If I pay attention to not letting the anchor line go too slack I never have to leave the cabin. The way to let the line go too slack is to blindly pay out rode without having the boat drifting backward to take up the slack.....

I have the 22 lb Delta and 30 ft of chain and 250' of 1/2" line on my 22 cruiser. It's been working well for me. I also find 3:1 scope adequate for mild conditions.

Jeff
Papa II

City/Region: Huron Ohio
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papa II
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Delta 9 lb anchor Reply with quote

I am using a delta 9 lb on a new 22 angler with only 6 ft of chian and it holds me fine in Lake Erie chop using only 150 ft of rope. So far, so good. I have the smaller anchor mainly due to it's compact size. Anyway, so far it has worked great.
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Papa II, I don't want to rain on your parade but if you want to risk your life and boat with a 9 pound Delta you should have at least 20 feet of anchor.

When I first got my CC23 I bought the West Marine value or economy anchor package. It only had 6 feet of chain. I had read the posts here about how important a good anchor and lots of chain was but I figured West Marine wouldn't sell an anchor set up unless it worked well. So on one of my first trips to Catalina Island I'm trying to anchor on a point that I want to dive. There is a boat already anchored there and I'm trying to anchor next to him. My anchor won't set 2 or 3 times then it finally sets. I knew my anchor might not hold but the wind was blowing away from the island so if my anchor slipped the boat would blow away from the island and not into it. Additionally my wife was on the boat so I felt safe. When I got in the water I swam over to the other boat and looked at his anchor. There sitting on the bottom was a big Delta anchor with lots of chain. I saw how his long length of chain was holding the force of the boat parallel to the bottom while my boat with only 6 feet of chain was trying to pull my anchor off the bottom. Needless to say 10 minutes later I look up and my boat is about 100 yards off shore and drifting farther away. Fortunately I was able to catch up to my boat and get on board. After that I started thinking why am I risking my $50,000 boat and my life? After that I bought a big Delta and 30 feet of chain. It is completely over kill but I spend about 20-30 night a year on the hook and sleep just great.

Bill
Capital Sea

City/Region: Olympia
Vessel Name: Capital Sea
Photos: Capital Sea
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the delta 14# 30" of chain and a new bail. Lewmar makes two that will work. One is a fixed two roller model (long not standard length) the other hinges. The fixed one, which I have, gets the anchor far enough out there so it will never strike the bow, but it does not self deploy. You can "arm" it by pushing the anchor forward about 4" just past the pivot point and then deploy it from inside when you are ready.

Save our Sound!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 14# Delta w/ 50' of 1/4" chain on the 25. So far, so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: