Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rokjok777

City/Region: SF Bay Area
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Squidward
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Cleaning gas tanks? Reply with quote

My CD 22 has twin 20-gal tanks held in place by Seaboard and a strap and two runners screwed into the cockpit sole. It's time to clean them, I have a few questions:
How do I go about this (tips, tricks, etc)? If I remove the strainer/supply tube, what sealant do I use when re-connecting it? Do I need to remove the runners, if so how to screw them back down? Do I also want to replace the filter element in the Racor separator, if so, does it just screw out (sure is on tight...)
Thanks to all for any advice... Rolling Eyes
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think they have to be "cleaned"?? We've got a '94 and just, out of curiosity, cleaned our tanks. They did have "stuff in them" but with our suctions where they are (yours may be lower), it was no problem. They even sat for 5 years, unused, before I bought Captain's Choice in '02 and all I did when I lit the twin 45 Hondas off for the first time, was to fill them with clean fuel and change the Racor filers. You need to be careful but not overly so. Some may disagree....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Rokjok777

City/Region: SF Bay Area
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Squidward
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: I thought I had to clean the tanks... Reply with quote

My Honda dealer books say to "clean the tanks" at 200 hours.....maybe I'm going overboard? Just change the strainer, the Racor, maybe later the internal gas filter, and that's good enough?
I was 50 miles offshore last weekend and I just want to be as safe as possible...
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm -- 50 miles offshore would make me clean the tanks first. Les Jr. and I have been way out thar -- boat rolling around from the heavy swell and mixing up the crud in the bottom of the tanks. Voila - no engine.

So many different versions of CD tanks that it's difficult to address the prob. The ones with the higher pickups that leave an inch or two of gas in the bottom should be cleaned IMO. Not so on the later ones... I always run each tank dry in the 22, and change filters often. A tow from 50 miles out in the saltchuck ain't cheap.

Dusty (who hates oars)

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Fuel Tanks Reply with quote

I've had to rebed the runners in frort of my gas tanks, as they have pulled out of the deck after a few years. As long as I've had those up, I've removed the tanks and cleaned them. It's not hard. It takes about 1 Hr per tank.

It is easiest to remove both the side and front runners. The fill and vent hoses can be disconnected from the tank by hand twisting and pulling, then the tank can be removed and cleaned.

After scrubbing the tank bottom, and deck areas in way of the runners and tanks ( It's surprising how much stuff gets ground in underneath the tanks), I reinstall the hoses with no sealant, just double hose clamps. Then the tank can be put into position, and the runners reinstalled. I vacuum out the screw holes, and use 4200 in the holes and to rebed the runners. I've added 2 screws to each of the forward runners to try to reduce the pullout.
therrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Gas Tank Reply with quote

I just acquired an '84 Angler (Classic?) with a gas tank (probably around 20 gallons) located under the berth. The gas left in it was at least five years old. When I went to pump it out, ithere was a mucky, rusty, gunk in the gas. The brass fitting at the top was a nice fluffy green on the inside. Apparently, there has been a bit of water in there over the years.

I'm ready to tackle cleaning the tank, but haven't done it before. Should I remove it from the boat? It's surrounded by a sprayed-in foam (like Great Stuff), but I'd imagine there are screws to keep it in place as well.

I have no problem with removing the tank, but would like to know what can of worms I may be opening before I do.

Are there cleaning solutions available on the market to assist with this task?

Should I just recycle the tank after removing the gas and replace it?

Thanks,

Tom Herrick
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing in my rebuild project. I'll bet your sending units are hosed and will need replacing. Remove the tanks and the old sending units. Just loosen the SS bands then pull and twist.

I had luck with dawn dish soap and hot water then flush the gunk and sand clear with a garden hose. Dry really well (compressed air works well). Apply some armor-all to the outside. They looked pretty good after a good cleaning.

Reinstall the tanks. No sealant was used on the fill line hose or the fuel line hose. No leaks to report. Did use some on the new sending units.

Hope I helped

Chris Bulovsky
Washburn Wi
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Has anyone tried an enzymatic fuel tank cleaner like the one described in this link?

This seems too good to be true. I'm hoping the chemists amongst us will offer their learned opinions concerning this product.

Thanks,
Mike 'Levity'
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I thought I had to clean the tanks... Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that if you have a 10 micron Racor filter with a clear drainable bowl at the bottom and

1) watch it carefully and

2) drain it whenever any water or sediment appears, and

3) change the filter cannister regularly (~100 hrs),

you should be good to go unless the amount in the bowl tells you that the filter cartridge and water separator bowl don't look up to the job of stopping the gunk from getting past your fuel filter system and into the motor.

You also have a secondary filter in the motor as well.

I've got 19 year old tanks and have never cleaned them throughly, but the Racor has done it's share of stopping water and sediment from reaching the EFI fuel system since changing over to the new Yamaha and ditching it's carburereted 2-cycle predecessor.

Also, don't forget the hoses get old, too, and should be changed every 5-10 years or so. The date of manufacture is stamped on them. This includes filler and vent hoses as well as fuel lines. (Old hoses get hard, brittle, and crack easily.)

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My port tank had some crap in it, if I was out on the water running at cruising speed it would burn though. If I was in the harbor, running at the harbor speed limit of 5 mph, it would foul the engines. I tried a few remedies- none that worked.
I finally broke down and removed both tanks today, wasted about 10 gals of fuel, cleaned the tanks- inside and out. After draining the tanks, I put about a quart of alcohal in each one and sloshed it around before draining.
I will let the tanks dry out for a week, rinse again with alcohal and dry for a week before re-installing them.
Has anyone put anything under the tanks to raise them about a half inch so it could be flushed out under them? This is what I found when I removed the tanks- ugh
Maybe set the tanks on some Dri-Deck and every so often spray some bleach/water solution to clean with?

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of last season, whilst on the Columbia, Journey On suddenly would not run over 4000 rpm. No signs of missing, just hit a wall. When I got home, I changed the Racor and the motor filter, which solved the problem. The Racor is a standard gas replacement (S3240,) which is no cheaper than the Honda equivalent (also made by Racor.) The engine filter was a bear to change.

Couldn't see anything but some white powder.

Boris
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does water look like when it is in the clear bowl at the filter
bottom?

What micron filter do you usually use? My Honda dealer changed from
a 30 micron to a 10, saying 10 is what Honda speced. Don't know
who put the 30 on.

Mike
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago Bill and El told me that I should separate the two tanks so if I got bad fuel or a plugged filter I could switch over and continue to run... what great advice... I installed two Racors and two feed lines.....now at least if I get a load of bad fuel, I can run the other tank while I am servicing the Racor

Alcohol will absorb water and allow it to pass through the motor... so a can of Dri-fuel in the tank once a year will do away with any water build up...

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water in the Racor looks like little round blobs....they will pool at the bottom of the Racor.... if there is enough water in the filter...it will form together and look like another layer.... gas floats on top of water......all ya need is open the drain and run it out...easy...
I moved my filters to the sides of the tanks...so they would be easy to see and service.... the stock location above the tanks is miserable to get to.

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: