The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Prospective boater
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M1911

City/Region: Framingham, MA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Prospective boater Reply with quote

I've been dreaming (the Finance Minister would probably spell that "hallucinating") about buying a boat and hope that some folks here can help me out. I'm looking for a boat that I can use for fishing and as a pocket cruiser for me and the Finance Minister. I would use it mostly in Narragansett Bay, with occasional trips to Martha's Vineyard and beyond. It needs to be trailerable. My tow vehicle is a 2003 4Runner with a listed tow rating of 7000 lbs. That figure seems a bit optimistic to me. I'd prefer to keep it well below 7000 lbs.

So I'm looking at boats that have 1) a pilothouse to get out of the weather, 2) a v-berth, 3) a porta-potti (rather important, and not just for the WAF -- Wife Acceptance Factor). And I stumbled across the C-Dory. I'm drawn to the 22 Cruiser, though I worry that the cost of a new one would be more than I would like to pay. What would a reasonably turned out 22 Cruiser run?

I'm a bit concerned about the balsa core, though I've read a long thread here that seems to imply it is manageable with care.

I'm a bit more concerned about the fact that there are no dealers in the area.

What say you? Should I continue to consider a C-Dory? What other boats did you look at? Why did you pick a C-Dory, rather than an aluminum boat (e.g., Pacific Boats, WorkSkiff)?

TIA,

M1911
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still hallucinating, but mostly waiting for my new 22 Cruiser to get built and we don't have a local dealer either. If you double the price you could reasonably get for that Forerunner today, you'll be right in the ballpark for the price of a new Cruiser with trailer. Why did we buy one? Initially because we couldn't afford a new Parker, and we absolutely didn't want to pay Parker fuel costs over time. Since then, I've ridden in one (The Rana Verde) and fondled two more. It just makes the waiting harder....

We come from years of RV'ing, so Halcyon Days (you'll see the link) just makes us more anxious to get back on the water.

Don

Future "Jenny B"

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
M1911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks:

Are you saying that a 22 Cruiser would run about $60k? Ouch. If I sold the 4Runner, I wouldn't have anything to tow the boat with...
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't help but smile when I read your comments about the Finance Minister. Reminds me of when we purchased our 19' CD a year ago which has a story that goes with the purchase that's much to long to relate here. You might want to consider coming out to the Seattle Boat Show next January. The trip will be well worth it and you will be able to meet several of the C-Dory owners that get together that weekend. We've had two C-Dory's. The first one was a used '85 22' Angler. Had it for a couple of years then we bought the 2003 19' which serves the purpose for what we need which is mostly cruising and exploring the San Juan Islands. Also the 19' can be towed most places with our 4 cyl Toyota Pickup. The downside of the 19' is that while two is company, three's a crowd. You will definitely want to consider the 22' if you plan on taking two or three friends with you.

Good luck in your search.
Ruthie (and Joe, too)
R-Matey
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1911,

If a new one is too expensive, consider buying a used boat. C-Dorys hold up real well. I have a 1991, no structural problems, and I don't plan on selling it. One of our newer members bought his in---1981-- and he still owns it. A used boat usually comes with electronics and other gear and accessories.

Check the for sale adds on this and the other C-Dory site.

By the way, wives usually LOVE the cabin on the 22 cruiser, a nice dinette, a galley big enough to cook in and a good size v-berth (and a private porta-pottie). This is more 'cabin cruiser' than 'cuddy cabin'.

If the wife is happy, you get a lot more boating time!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from using mine as a camper all over the U.S., from 8500 feet in Colorado to Lake Oroville California to Oroville Washington camped on the edge of high desert. That's why I made the purchase, it covers a lot of bases, on land an sea. Don't know if the 22 is for you but when the freezing wind kicked up just outside Yakima I had 4 on board (at a rest stop) that were mighty glad to give that Wallas a demo . . . In Colorado it fed 12 for the nightly supper when a fire ban was enacted. In 8000+ miles the boat got used hard, but never got the bottom wet . . . There might be some other boats this type of thing is suitable for, but I don't know of any offhand. Just kick myself for not buying one 14 years ago when I first looked at them and thought about this same type of adventure.

Near the Canadian border:

Camped in Colorado:

What we were after with the boat:

What we found on the Similkameen (Oroville, Wa.):

(jewelry grade garnets)

Don't know if any of that will sway you and wouldn't want to try anyway, but needless to say, there's a lot more you can do with this boat, than boating. (and it's pretty good at that as well)

Good luck
Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com

Last edited by flagold on Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1911, a quick check of Kelly Blue Book had a 2003 Forerunner (private sale) value set at about $23k. Obviously you don't have a plain version. Mr. Green

My good fortune is being married to a boat loving lady who actually talked me into making the deposit.

Curiosity: M1911 - do you happen to be 45 years old?
M1911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks: Mine is not the plain version. KBB value is closer to $30k. I might be able to swing $46k for a boat. $60k would not work.

No, I'm not 45, but I am darn close...

Concerning used boats, there aren't many C-Dory's here in the Northeast.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't expect any discounts on a C-Dory, the factory is running at capacity and dealers wait several months for delivery of fresh-ordered boats. The better dealers order boats on speculation so they have a "stock" or at least they can tell you what they have in the pipeline.

For this reason the new boats the further east from the factory have ever increasing factory options on them. The dealer I purchased from buys his boats completely equipped, including engines, from the factory. In many cases you get what you get -- unless you're willing to wait months.

C-Dory shipping is also a problem. Truck companies charge by the load, not the boat. Apparently a dealer pays the same freight of a full truck load of 4 (?) boats as one. This makes delivery dependent on the amount of boats the dealer orders.

I wanted a 22 Cruiser but didn't want to tie up the cash with my daughter's desire to attend a private liberal arts college in a few years (!). As you can see by my tag line we have a 16 Cruiser. This replaces a 28'10" San Juan sailboat which never got used. The 16 Cruiser will handle 3 in a squeeze, the 19 Angler would be much nicer, but another $10K+ and more expensive to operate.

The 16 Cruiser is my trial horse. So far my wife and daughter like the boat and actually ask when we're going out. This boat is small enough I can take her out solo without difficulty.

Will we move to a larger boat? Maybe, but probably not the 22 Cruiser. Can't run the Great Lakes when the water is hard so the solid aft bulkhead isn't vital and we've found the soft, canvas bulkhead on the 16 Cruiser to be very nice, especially when it's removed. 22 Sport Cruiser would be my choice for freshwater use.

Cutter Marine in Baltimore is the closest dealer to us, but I drove to Door County Boat Works, north of Green Bay, to get ours.

-- Chuck
M1911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the '22 sport cruiser? I couldn't find any pictures on the c-dory web site.
flagold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen one, but it is a 22 without the cabin door and cabin back (interior open to the elements). Seems to run $1500 cheaper than a regular 22 cruiser. For that amount financed over time, it may be wise to stick with the standard CDory in this model (or the Angler).

You may opt to do what I did and make the finance minister happy. I shopped for a year old boat (new) in the winter. Bought it from Morgan Marine and had them put a 4 stroke 90 hp motor on. I used to be in the dive business, so rigged everything else when I got it back here to Fla., (electronics, etc). In todays world, doing all that isn't to tough, even for a novice. If you've had other boats, you've got all the other things you need (life vests, line, etc., etc.)

At any rate, buying a leftover boat from winter ended saving about $6500. I had to go from Fla to New Mexico to get it.

Here's some tips for rigging it if you go my route:

The only thing that hasn't worked as planned is the velcro strip for the top -- it simply rains too hard for it to support the weight of the gal/minute dumped on it here in Florida.

Good luck
Matt Mattson
http://www.treasuresites.com
C-Trial

City/Region: St Helens
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Trial
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1911,

Coming to your rescue...

You need not purchase a new C-Dory to be entirely happy. I bought mine off the C-Dog site a few months ago, a 2000 model 22 Cruiser with twin 40's, more or less fully loaded with all electronics including chartplotter and radar. The asking price was around $38,000. Her engines had about 300 hours, or the equivalent of 10,000 miles on an otherwise showroom new 4Runner. I spent $250 bucks on a professional exterior detail and you'd have thought the boat was new out of the factory. I spent another $750 replacing all the interior canvas (again, restoring to new condition inside too). A similarly equipped brand new C-Dory would likely run $55K+.

I saw another 22 Cruiser I would have bought without electronics for $33K and it was a 2001 with 150 hours.

Despair not, friend.

C-Trial
M1911

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you've had other boats, you've got all the other things you need (life vests, line, etc., etc.)
Actually, this would be my first boat, so I don't have anything other than the tow vehicle. I'm still in the dreaming stage and would likely not buy before the new year. So I've got a while to do some research.

I've read the various threads about single versus twin engines. Much of the time, I'd be on the boat by myself, trolling for fish. Would the single with kicker be a little easier for that? Can you steer the kicker from the cockpit? If steering from the helm, I'd have to recognize that a fish was on, cut the throttle, run back to the cockpit, etc. Or does it not matter?
Quote:
At any rate, buying a leftover boat from winter ended saving about $6500. I had to go from Fla to New Mexico to get it.
Did you have it shipped, or did you drive out to get it (a weeks worth of driving, I'd guess).

Last edited by M1911 on Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 2 cents worth... as we are getting ready to head for the Blakely Gathering.... I can't fault the dealers at all to the East for sure... the factory should be supporting them no doubt. But if you are considering a new C-Dory, it would be worth it to call Les at EQ Marine at Cornet Bay. He is the Premier Rigger of C-Dorys, and has done them for people fron Coast to Coast. He is a good sounding board for realities of new vs. used , etc... Anyway, welcome to the Pub we are very happy to have you here!!!

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
flagold

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out there and got it. The boat had been in their showroom since new. Butch Morgan was first rate in my book as I'm sure Les and the rest are too. By the time I finished up it looks like a rough 45K with a refrig, Wallas, 90 4 stroke, GPS chartplotter, compass, and radio on a zero hour package sitting on a tandem axle EZ-Loader.

If you don't have other boats, most certainly the used route may be the way to go to save some money -- that is, in effect, what I did in buying a leftover 2003 boat in 2004.

As for single vs twin, I had a 9.9 Honda on my Boston Whalers so simply use that. Yes, you can operate the kicker from the back. I simply use the main engine since it's 4 cycle and smooth, and I want to be looking at the fishfinder. My boat not bought for fishing though, it is for filming, mineral exploration, and treasure diving. Again, I have just returned after living on it for a month -- zero hotel bills (a couple campground stops for laundry duty and that was it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: