The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hull runners?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbeaudoin

C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Hull runners? Reply with quote

We built a C-dory using a seperated factory hull and cabin. Does anyone have a photo of runners on the bottom of the boat? I am assuming that the factory boats have them as I am having some control problems. Any help appreciated.
Thankyou
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a picture from the back of the transom and you can see this runner or reverse chine. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=TrailersandTowing&id=TheEnd&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

I'm sure I have some others which show that portion of the hull more clearly.

What kind of control problems are you having? To my knowledge, those runners were intended to balance the boat in areas having severe tides which leave an anchored boat grounded. Those runners tend to cause their own handling problems at slow speed when passengers move from side to side in the aft portion of the boat.

It would be helpful to be specific with regards to handling problems.

Bill
danbeaudoin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Hull runners Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for the photo. I must have an early hull that came with no runners and is perfectly flat on the bottom. I believe these early ones had wood runners added on. My boat takes a very wide turn. Seems to slip sideways on executing a turn for quite a distance as there is no keel effect. I need to add the runners but I want to size them right so that I don't overcorrect. Your help appreciated
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danbeaudoin...

Since you mentioned that your hull is perfectly flat, I highly recommend leaving it the way it is. The older C-Dory was flat. A true dory will more than likely be flat. There's a reason for that. That type of dory can be launched from the beach and recovered with a tilt trailer built specifically for a flat bottom dory. That trailer has a roller the full width of the boat.

I don't know where you are located, but I suggest a trip to Cape Kiwanda on the Northern coast of Oregon. Some time ago they had a commercial dory fleet in that area. There is still a substantial number of dory owners who sport fish for salmon and rockfish during the season. If you are interested in that history, leave me a note in my mailbox with your address and I'll send you copies of what I have. Those dories are still being built in nearby Pacific City. I will be out of town for a week or so and I'll respond when I return.

Bill
Redƒox

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:45 am    Post subject: THINK THISUL HELP!... Reply with quote

Take a looksee at my Classic 22 bottom----2 views. PS: I ried to post it here, but can't figure out how to ....

http://www.msnusers.com/SoundDreams/boatprojectsredfox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=355
danbeaudoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Thankyou Reply with quote

Your photos are very helpful! It looks like the depth of your runners are about an inch. I think this will help immensely with the side slippage I am experiencing.
danbeaudoin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Another question on the runners Reply with quote

Do your runners end about 3 feet short of the transom?
Thanks,
Dan
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx.. glad that link worked for ya. Do you have any pix of that CD project post yet? interesting!

No the runners run just a few inches (maybe 3-6) from the end of the transom. Don't want to go look, I'm pooped and ready for bed ... ARG
Confused
danbeaudoin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Gee-Jay Reply with quote

Here is a photo of my CD that we made from a hull and a cabin.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: specifics :) Reply with quote

Hey cool! I recognize that classic C-D appearance .... no hid'n that from the Fox..... Very Happy

Well I'm feelin my oats again, and I'm back with some specifics to get you on your way...

The middle runner stops short of exactly 27 inches from the transom. The side ones are only and inch from the end (transom)

So what you mean you made it...? you mean laid the glass over an existing C-D hull and cabin...?

You know I have a TON of pix and projects I have done to old RedFox I still have yet to post. I can't think pf a better easier boat to customize than an old C-Dory! Now if I could just get my hands on an old 27 .... think of the possibilities. I'd go into my own lagit' "private charter business".... Don't ever want to get rid of my old 22 classic though....

I'm glad Larry (Nancy H) brought this one to my attention, I been so wrapped up in my own site, I forget to check in here once and a while (da-ooh) Very Happy (time)
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Thanks for helping out. Thumbs Up

All,

Just a general comment about keels, etc.

The propeller needs a clean smooth flow of water off the bottom of the hull. Anything that disturbs the flow( keel, transducers, thru-hull fittings, bait tank pickups) will cause turbulence and reduce the thrust or cause cavitation of the prop. This means that the boat goes slower and uses more fuel.

The hull bottom should be very smooth for three feet or so(27 inches is ok on our slower boats) in front of the prop and several inches on either side.
I spent many years working on 'go very fast' (70-80 mph) river boats and the faster you go the more important this becomes. Smile

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
danbeaudoin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Attaching the runners Reply with quote

Thankyou very much for the advice.
Today I cut the teak runners 1" x 1" x 10 feet and 2 others that are about 6 feet long for the sides. I am a little worried about screwing these into the bottom. I am afraid that water may get in through the screwholes and into the 1 inch plywood that is on the bottom. I am thinking that I should fill the drill holes with some sort of marine epoxy before using the screws. Any suggestions or comments appreciated?
Dan
Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a permanent installation, consider using marine grade epoxy(Marinetex is one, it sets up hard) or 3M 5200 caulking or sealer(comes in a caulking tube, can be squeezed into the holes, this sets up to a flexible rubber like stuff).

Caution---epoxy or 5200 is permanent, non removable. I recommend a 'dry' fit up first. Drill and install the strips and screws dry, then remove and apply the sealer, and install. Don't get any of this stuff on your skin!! I use disposable latex gloves. Also 5200 will spread all over!! You need a roll of paper towels for clean up. Read all the directions on the tube first.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching the runners Reply with quote

danbeaudoin wrote:
I am afraid that water may get in through the screwholes and into the 1 inch plywood that is on the bottom.

I'll go out on a limb and guess that's not plywood - C-Dory, to my knowledge, has always used a balsa core.

Which when properly built is a good thing...plywood would be far more susceptible to water intrusion.

Larry H

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

I'll join you on that limb Wink and say that Greg, on Red Fox reported plywood in the hull bottom. He had exposed core which needed fiberglass repair.

I think the early flat bottom C-Dorys had a plywood core.

Now if Greg would reply, we could get the real story. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: