The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger Repair and Storage History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Ranger Repair and Storage History Reply with quote

As I've posted earlier, we are giving serious thought to purchasing a R-25 later this year or next spring. One big question....especially to those who have had a Ranger beyond the 1 year warranty, what have been your repair issues, if any. Very pertinent for me, since I'm not much of a DIY guy. One attraction to buying a new one is hinged on the idea that household and charter income $$ would go toward the purchase price, not the endless repairs associated with an older boat. Ideally, we'd keep this boat for 15 years.

Secondly, those who moored the boat outside, any excess oxidation noted, especially with the color hulls, brass, etc.

-Greg
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of oxidation on the brass, nothing on the hull.

Nancy

pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy, I read on one of threads some time back , about some kind of magic cleaner for the brass that worked really well . I cant remember the name of it tho..... Question
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

I don't know what colors are offered on the Rangers, but we chose grey because it does not fade or oxidize as much as the red or blue colors on the C-Dorys.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Dene

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I responded to Roger listing the three colors they offer and a link to a picture of my wife standing in front of a red Ranger Tug.

Did it get deleted?

-Greg
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had Island Ranger just over a year. She stays in the water full time, except to change zincs. We have a little over 500 hours on the engine - and have covered probably 4000 miles. I'm headed out in a few minutes to support the Seattle Maritine Festival Tug Boat Races - we'll be stationed right at the finish line (keeping out spectator boats) - so I can't provide much info now.

We've had a couple of issues - biggest one being rain water leaks into the cabin, but Ranger has dealt with it - and even replaced the fur (liner) when it didn't come out clean enough from steam cleaning.

I can't say enough about the support from the Factory. They've been great.

Mac
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say Noxon7 is the absolute best for brass - although I haven't tried it yet as I cannot find it locally...........

Nancy
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that repairs on the Ranger would be minimal beyond the first found problems (if any)--but that there are always on going costs of owing this type of boat.

I would wonder about the reality of charter income. Do you want to do 6 pack (un inspected vessel) operation, or bare boat charter? I have only bare boat chartered my personal vessels a couple of times--and to people I knew very well. Even then it was a frustrating experience. I did bare RV charter a motor home for several years, and it was not really a money making proposition.

If you have the boat in a fleet where it is managed, that may be a different story. Also there are tax implications of chartering.

I feel that a boat is a personal item--and am concerned about potential damage done by charterers.

Good luck on the project, and let us know how it works out.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Dene

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I would think that repairs on the Ranger would be minimal beyond the first found problems (if any)--but that there are always on going costs of owing this type of boat.

I would wonder about the reality of charter income. Do you want to do 6 pack (un inspected vessel) operation, or bare boat charter? I have only bare boat chartered my personal vessels a couple of times--and to people I knew very well. Even then it was a frustrating experience. I did bare RV charter a motor home for several years, and it was not really a money making proposition.

If you have the boat in a fleet where it is managed, that may be a different story. Also there are tax implications of chartering.

I feel that a boat is a personal item--and am concerned about potential damage done by charterers.

Good luck on the project, and let us know how it works out.

It is a charter company.....ABC Charters to be specific. I wouldn't dream of chartering my boat to another on my own. ABC manages my Carver 3007 and have done a nice job. However, $$ earned have gone into repairs, resulting in a better boat that when it was purchased. The trouble is....that boat will not be useful to us when we do the Loop, etc. Consequently, do we want charter income to go repairs or do we want it to apply toward the purchase of a boat we'll keep for the long term? As much as I abhor buying anything "new," I take heart from Bill and El's purchase of their new CD 22 years ago. They have certainly got their money's worth. I'd like to do the same with the Ranger, especially if it's as durable as the CD 22. It certainly has a layout we can cruise and live in comfortably for long durations.

Also, it's possible that the Ranger will hold it's value through the years, as the Nordic 26 has done.

As to the personal aspect, the boat is just a boat unless we move into it. 9 months of the year, our stuff will be in it. ABC does a very good job inspecting the boat when a charterer returns, including a dive inspection of the hull. If they damage it, they pay for the repairs. Damage exceeding the damage waiver is covered by insurance. That includes a blown engine. Normal wear and tear is excluded but if we limit charterers to two people, then it should be minimal, vs. a family boat like our Carver. Even then, the only interior damage we incurred was a coffee stain on a chair, which was easily removed.

Regarding tax implications, it's similar to rental property. Income minus expenses, including depreciation. For example, the Carver is getting bottom paint this week and Memorial Day weekend, we'll move it from Anacortes to it's summer berth at Friday Harbor, enjoying the sites along the way. That trip is tax deductible...food, gas, etc. So are maintenance and moorage.

Personally, I love tax deductible toys and vacations.

-Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: