The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

22 cruiser rear steer???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amptheripper21

City/Region: Oakville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Bear II
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: 22 cruiser rear steer??? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen a rear steering station on the 22 cruiser? I was just wondering because I thought it might be nice while trolling. Any info would be great... thanks
digger

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Yup, I think I have Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Snoopy-C/IMG_0853.jpg

did this on Snoopy-C for trolling with the kicker. Sea-star hydraulics used from ebay for cockpit and main helm, control main motor, which is connected to the kicker. Works great. ron

marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron thats a really nice looking setup. Someone on another thread suggested autopilot with a remote control. Sounds like it could really be good for trolling.
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Baystar hydr. steering in the cabin for the main engine. I understand that Baystar is not compatible with a second station is that correct??? What are my options?
A rear sta. would be excellent for trolling.

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
C-Duck

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: C-Duck (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a second steering wheel in the cockpit of my 22. I didn't have the steering installed myself though (it came with the used boat I bought) - so I have no idea how much it cost or how hard it was to install.

It has a Baystar wheel (model #HH4514) installed in the cabin and a Seastar wheel (model #HH5271) installed in the cockpit. They both look pretty much identical. I haven't yet used the aft steering - not sure if I will much or not. The original owner indicated that he did not install motor controls in the cockpit because of the enormous cost to do so.

Here is a picture of the rear steering on my 22:

[/code]
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:
I have a Baystar hydr. steering in the cabin for the main engine. I understand that Baystar is not compatible with a second station is that correct??? What are my options?
A rear sta. would be excellent for trolling.

Jack-

The BayStar system is designed for single outboard installations for up to 150 hp and speeds of up to 50 mph or so. The SeaStar is for larger outboards, multiple engine configurations, higher speeds, I/O's, and inboards.

It uses lower pressures than the SeaStar, and plastic tubing that you can cut yourself and install with fittings and clamps.

From what I can tell, the problems with a second station with the BayStar are two fold:

1. Some older Baystar models, HK4200 and HK4230, have a "unbalanced cylinder"* set up that won't allow fluid input from two helm stations or an autopilot. (The latest HK4200A does have a balanced cylinder.)

2. The tubing set up for a multiple steering station requires more connections than a simple installation, and the manufacturer recommends using the SeaStar hoses and system instead (for safety) in which all hoses are factory cut to length with swaged and threaded end fittings. (Less chance of loosing your steering from a slipped hose fitting.)

My guess is that you could add a second station with the BayStar by converting to the SeaStar hoses if you have the newer HK4200A model.

Here's a very good guide to the selection and installation of the BayStar and SeaStar systems:

BayStar-SeaStar Selection Guide

* "The current generation of outboard-mounted cylinders makes installation easy, since they use the tilt tube of the engine for support, and act directly on the engine‘s steering attachment point. In other words, the cylinder acts between two points on the outboard, and exerts no force on the boat‘s hull or deck. This type of cylinder is what is known as a balanced cylinder, meaning that port and starboard deflections take the same amount of hydraulic fluid. This, in turn, makes it ideal for autopilots, since they act symmetrically port and starboard. Note that some older BayStar steering kits (HK4200 and HK4230) use an unbalanced cylinder, and cannot be used with autopilots."

Source: West Marine Advisor on Hydraulic Steering or page 658 of the 2008 catalogue.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

older type BayStar HK4200 unbalanced cylinder kit

Latest BayStar HK4200A balanced cylinder kit

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: