The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Kayaking in the San Juan Islands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Kayaking in the San Juan Islands Reply with quote

I am lQQking to buy a 2 person Kayak to put on top of my new R-25. Is there one that would be the perfect fit , light weight ,rugged, stable and easy to operate. This Kayak would used as a dingy to get back and forth from the docks and also for adventure trips in bays and coves The R-25 has a sports rack on top of the cabin but I would need to add a bracket to hold the Kayak in place. Also are there any special Kayaking places in the San Juan Islands that would be a must see and do ? .....Pauley
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The San Juans are a kayaker's paradise (with cold water!! Smile so wet suits would be necessary). Too many places to try to list. There are a number of guidebooks about kayaking in the San Juans and there is a recent thread on this site about storing kayaks on a CD 22. I think the information in that thread could carry over pretty well to your R25 and a search using kayaking in the San Juans as search terms should yield a lot of information.
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington Water Trails Association www.wwta.org/ is a great resource and starting point to learn about paddling the San Juans.
There are many good kayaks to choose from in the northwest, you'd have to go out of your way to find a bad one.
Necky's Manitou II tandem www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/tandem/ is one to consider. Being compact it weighs less than most doubles. Also being polymer it is less likely to scratch anything while loading or unloading.
I don't know your experience level but IMO lightweight paddles are worth the extra expense.
Good luck.
Trinity

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Trinity
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauley
I am sure there are others who know a lot more about this than I do - which is nothing! What I DO know, is the factory usually displays the R25 with a Kayak on top. If I recall, they have a nifty way of getting it off and on too. You may want to e-mail or call them and ask them what they use....
Just a thought
Nancy

PS
When are you bringing that Ranger Tug to the PNW!

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Kayak Reply with quote

Pauly,

I assume that you want to get a good touring kayak, and unless you build one, or perhaps buy one of the folding boats (pricey), there is no such thing as a light double (in my humble opinion). We have a Necky Tofino. It's a great boat, very stable, hauls a lot of gear, and weighs a ton. Actually, it is pushing 100 pounds.

Take a look at the web sites for Pygmy boats, and also Chesapeake Light Craft. They are kit boats, and you can get people to build them for you if you don't have the time or inclination. Best of all, they are light, beautiful and fast.

Steve

Now that I think of it, I am going to put a kicker on the Tofino, add a little water to the aft compartment, and wake surf behind it.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you're talking, Pauley. Your family will never forget the experience of Kayaking in the San Juan Islands. The poly kayaks are less expensive and virtually indestructible when beached, drug over rocks and barnacles, etc. There's a lifetime worth of coves, bays, rock outcroppings, etc. for you to explore, not to mention oodles of wildlife. Enjoy! Mike.
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Sagebrush said, there are no worthwhile lightweight poly double kayaks. The ones light enough to yard up and down are not large enough for two full size humans.

I built a Pygmy double and loved the boat. It is lighter than a glass or a poly double, and a heck of a boat. Still, weighs 70 lbs or so. You might be better served by two poly singles, in the rec kayak class.

I am expecting to use a Folbot Edisto as a tender for my Bartender, as a calibration point for you. A folding boat gets it off the cabin top for better cruising and less wind resistance while under way to your anchorage, but you do need to assemble it once you reach the bay where you need it. Google up Folbot and check out the Edisto. It has an open planform which may work as a tender for you.

Golerud

City/Region: Bella Vista
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: SLOGO
Photos: SLOGO
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Kayaks at www.nativewatercraft.com I currently have a Heritage Redfish 12 SOT which I like but want a second kayak and am seriously considering a Native double that can be re-configured to use as a single. That way we can each go in a single or togather when configured as a double. The Native boats have the most comfortable seating of any Kayak I've ever been in.
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder/warning about kayaking where bigger boats are running.

Wear a BRIGHT ORANGE OR GREEN HAT AND LIFE VEST!! Also use a paddle with bright orange or green blades.

From the helm or flybridge of a 20 knot powerboat, a kayak can look like a log, or brush, or just a sun sparkle in the water. Don't assume that a big cruiser has anyone actually at the helm. It could be on autopilot!! Don't assume that you have been seen or that the power boat can or will avoid you!!

If kayaking in a group, stay in a group. I have passed groups of kayaks in the San Juans(guided tours) where there always seem to be one or two individuals separated from the group. The helmsman is concentrating on the larger group and may not see the individual who is not with the group.

The worst thing from a powerboaters viewpoint...a kayak that is dark blue and black with the paddler wearing dark blue or black clothes using a black paddle.

Power boats are supposed to 'give way' to manually propelled craft. Just don't assume that they will!!

Have fun and stay safe!!

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certain powerboaters that refer to kayaks as speed bumps.
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The San Juans are a kayaker's paradise (with cold water!! so wet suits would be necessary).

I keep seeing people writing about the "cold water" in the San Juans. Pauley is talking about coming in the summer isn't he? I haven't spent a lot of time in the San Juans in the summer, but just a bit north of there in the Gulf Islands people are swimming in a lot of locations at various beaches and bays. I have stopped my CD lots of times to let my wife and niece go for a swim. Florida its not, but in the summer the water temp is frequently between 17-19 degrees C. , as measured by my transducer. I've seen as high as 21 degrees C up in Desolation sound. Warmer in bays and beaches. Plenty warm enough for us Canadian's, and hearty visitors from the south to play in. I also often see people pulling people on tubes, and sometimes on skis and boards in the Gulf Islands. Either the currents cause the water in the San Juans to be quite a bit colder or you Washington folks can't take the cold. Laughing
Ron
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

Yeah, the water is colder in the San Juans than it is in the Gulfs.

I have seen 46 F(8 C) on my fish finder in the Juans in the summer.

The current brings water(cold) from the strait of Juan de Fuca thru the San Juans and up the Strait of Georgia.

For warm water I would go to the Gulfs and find a shallow west facing beach or cove. Conover Cove on Wallace Is is nice!

Warm water, a good reason to go to the Gulf Islands in B C, Canada!!
Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, the water is colder in the San Juans than it is in the Gulfs

Larry,
Well go figure! Whenever I watch the KING 5 Weather reports they always say the cold weather is coming from Canada. Now the truth comes out. Washington is actually colder than Canada! Shocked This global warming thing is so confusing. Wink
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer, we saw water temps in some places in Desolation Sound in the 70s... never got out of the 50s anywhere we visited in the San Juans. At the Gulf Islands gathering, several Brats swam at Pirate's Cove... my tolerance for water temp is NOT anything approaching the low side of 75º. So, consider the source when I talk about the cold water in the San Juans.

My idea of the ideal water temp is 103º with bubbles. It comes close to that in the Tropical Tip in August when the water temp is around 90º. And in the dead of winter, we occasionally see a few crazy northerners in the water when it's around 60º!!! Xmas Eek

Keep in mind that Pauley, who is from the San Antonio area, is likewise used to warmer temps. The first time we were in the San Juans, I told Joan, "If I fall overboard, don't bother coming back for me - the shock of the cold water will kill me way before I drown." Disgust
jstates

City/Region: SHELTON
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Endurance
Photos: Endurance
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Tandem Kayak Reply with quote

While there is nothing like gliding in a fiberglass sea kayak - tandems as stated above are heavy.

After several sea trials I purchased an Aire Super Lynx - found at http://aire.com/AIRE/ - [Discussed in earlier posts] it is one of the faster inflatable kayaks- it is a very easy entry from the CDory - weighs 45 pounds, 10 year no fault warranty, easy to inflate = a very safe dinghy and great emergency rescue dinghy. You could get into it from the water without fear of tipping- much easier than a SeaKayak- its lighter and foldable self draining and can handle class 2-3 white water rapids - - Not as maneuverable as the Lynx 2 made with more rocker for whitewater - but it tracks better and is relatively fast - paddles easily with one or two

Since you can use the CDory to get to the great spots - a decrease in speed isn't that much of an issue. Good platform for photography with your gear in Pelican case.

The Aire Super Lynx is a very stable boat - handles two people and a big Rottweiller who won't sit down. Made from same material as the guide rafts. Its great for kids in the middle [without the dog] as they can both look over the same side at sea creatures without fear of falling in.

A tandem sea kayak will be more difficult to enter from the CDory and more like to scratch - fiberglass on fiberglass.

Check out www.theboatpeople.com for comparisons of inflatable kayaks

If you are in the area - you are welcome to test it out.

The San Juans and Gulf Island are great for paddling- consider a Gortex dry suit with underlayers of wool/pile for serious paddling regardless of which Kayak. The circumnavigation around Orcas is a fun paddle - check the currents -

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: