The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Problem with Blue Sea Automatic Charging Relay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Problem with Blue Sea Automatic Charging Relay Reply with quote

I recently installed a Blue Sea ACR along with the remote switch. Yesterday in the driveway with the battery charger operating, the ACR connected the batteries within about 5 minutes. Today when we took the boat out for the first time after the install, the ACR would not connect the batteries automatically. After about 45 minutes of running, I finally changed the remote switch from auto to on just to see what would happen. The ACR did respond and connect the batteries. After a few minutes, I changed the switch back to auto and the ACR kept the batteries connected. We then anchored for a couple hours. Then we rode around some more and I went through the same process...ACR still will not connect automatically, but does seem to work after I manually swich from auto to on and then back to auto.

I am going to call Blue Sea tomorrow to see what they say. Just wondering if anyone can offer an insight on the problem. I am kind of discouraged after spending a fair amount of time on the installation.

Thanks,

Rob
Minnow

City/Region: East Amwell
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnow
Photos: Minnow
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you have the voltage sensing wire on the "primary" battery?
It would seem that if it were backwards, that it would respond as you describe.
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have checked and re-checked the wiring....everything is as the instructions indicate.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensing wire goes to the same battery which the alternator is connected to--Ie: the starting battery. This battery charges first. You may want to varify all of this with a digital volt meter. I agree, it sounds as if the sense wire is in the wrong place--or a defect in the sense circuit.

The battery charger should charge both (or all) batteries, and thus the relay would not come into play at the dock. (Although it may sense and close the relay). You can also put a remote "Manual" switch on the relay.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob – I hope you have your problem figured out by now, but if you haven’t there are two things to look at.

1. Is your start battery connected to terminal A. If it is connected to B, reverse the connections. House Battery to B and start battery to A.

2. If your overload adjustment is too low, the combiner will not combine the batteries. This can happen if your start battery is run down and the alternator is putting out a lot of voltage to bring it back up, for instance it is putting out more than 14.5 volts and your overvoltage adjustment is set for 14.5 volts, the switch will not combine your batteries until the alternator output is less than 14.5 volts.

If you have some other items connected to your start battery besides your outboard and they are on and creating a draw, the alternator may never catch up so the output will continually be over the overvoltage adjustment.

You should have an instruction pamphlet describing the adjustments. It is in the last section of the instructions. If you don’t you can download it here. http://bluesea.com/viewresource/281 It is a PDF file so you will need Adobe reader to view it.
________
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: