First TUNA on Sea Lion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: First TUNA on Sea Lion Reply with quote

8 days out... What was I thinking?

What a fantastic time.... Can hardly remember it all but I will try...

Day 1, Crew was Rick and Russ. Uncoperative ocean so we are Salmon fishermen. A buddy from Idaho puts on a clinic. I think he is using Idaho Spuds, plug cut as he was the hot boat on the bite. I will leave the net comments for the crew to comment on . I learned not to answer the radio when headed into the trough of a swell Team brown pants... No major issues, lots of fun, near boat limit. (we had the limit to the boat anyway .
Day 2, crew was John and Andrew. 5 fish and first blood on Sea Lion! Thanks to CD Johnson for calling us to the biting fish.
Day 3, Crew was my 11 year old son and his Uncle Mike. 15 fish and my son caught his first Tuna on a stand up rod and his second on a hand line!
Day 6, Crew was Troyr and Mark the Carkasauras. 15 fish and a great time.
Day 5, Crew was Uncle Mike and Brian. 20 fish and a new Sea Lion record. What a great time!

Some Pics from the trip

Whales are good luck. This fluke is wider than my boat is long.

Uncle Mike helps out with the kids 1st Tuna!

He gets it in the boat!

Full Box

Drifty all bloody

Double!

The wall of woe

Tuna SMILES

The Tuna bend is your FRIEND!

The blood

and more blood

Yes, these fish were harmed in the capture of these memories...

Muhahahahahaha

These guys did a great job of getting the fish packed away and getting the boat cleaned up.
The neighborhood cats are still looking around for the fish but unless theye are able to open jars or the locked freezer they are out of luck. Even the dark meat has been removed and dealt with.

When do we go for round 2?

What a great time....

I don't have time to talk about the blown tires, trip to Coos Bay for boat parts, replacement batteries that were not in the budget or all the things I need to repair now.
I just want to reflect on the good times and know that the crew had a good experience.

Had to miss more than 1 day of fishing due to repairs and lack of replacement parts.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
C-Bill

City/Region: Carson City
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CharkBait
Photos: CharkBait
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures. Do you ever get concerned about being offshore 40 to 50 miles? I would guess your in the twilight zone as far as VHF reception. I suppose the CG has their antenna up on one of the hills in back of Depoe Bay.

Bill
Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, Yes... all the time.
That is why I spend so much time studying the weather patterns and making sure everything is in top condition before I go.
I have 2 of everything necessary and more of the critical things.
I do not take my Tuna trips lightly and have cancelled trips before to correct potiential issues.
I have been 55 miles offshore and been the only boat there a few times. It is a very humbeling experience to say the least.
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Ray, we went out of Newport 7/10 picked up three nice halibut by 11:30 and wandered out an additional 20 miles (54 miles out total) no tuna but we did get off the continental shelf (way cool 2400 feet of water) and the ocean was great. Heard the dogs yacking on 78 Sea Lion was mentioned several times but the hot spot appeared to be 70 miles out with some fish around 50 miles out to the North of us.

Great day no matter we did catch a 6 foot blue shark one heck of a strong fish. Best fight I have ever had even with the 50 class real and a 5/12 foot 50 to 100 lb meat stick.

Anyway great photos and mabe we can hookup for a tuna run sometime next month.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: