The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

wake boarding in the San Juan Islands
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauley

City/Region: south texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: My Lady of the Wake
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy WoW alot of good information on this thread ,Thanks to everybody for your imput and humor Shocked . I think that it would be a doable like 20dauntless says , the right place ,the right time and the proper equipment . The R-25 with a 150 HP motor loaded up should do 18knots or 21mph on a glassy water . Hooking up a tow harness off of the top of the cabin would not be to hard ,mabe a lasso over the smoke stack would work. Sea Wolf your story about Bobby Bluesome was great , thats enuff to keep me from attempting it ,but my wife is the one who wants to do it tho . Im sure it will be done at some point in time it's just when that is yet to be decied . I will post the pictures . thanks ,Pauley Thumbs Up
Chester

City/Region: home
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep it the heck away from folks that are enjoying the peace and serenity they went up there to enjoy. There is a reason PWCs have been banned up there. Have a little consideration for your neighbors.
Keep it out of bays and areas where wild animals gather and boats are moored. It's one thing to drive your boat from one place to another. It's another to impose on people and wildlife the noise, wake and disturbance caused by your buzzing around.
Have a nice day.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pauley,

I am wondering how well you know the San Juan/Puget Sound area.

It seems a bit crazy to want to tow a person thru all those floating logs and debris, even if you found a calm place where such activity is welcome.

Also, I don't know if you truly understand the significance of the cold water in that area. It is life threatening.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Dr. John, that you would really be pushing the R 25 to have a sustained speed of 21 mph--even with the 150 engine. The issue not is could it be done, but is it the best for the engine? I would not choose a R 25 for any water sports, including tubing--partly because of lack of clear sight lines aft--and a host of other design reasons. Also consider that usually the tow line is attached to a tower, foreward of the prop--this would take special consideration from a stuctural and safety standpoint.

All of this is an assumption that this is a serious question.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
CW

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Satisfaction
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't refer/suggest people go to Lake Washington to wakeboard. As a committed slalom skier who grew up there in a house on the waterfront.....guess what? The locals don't want your intentionally large wake damage either. Learn to waterski, go fast, keep the wake small. It takes talent and balance and strength, but it can be done. If you drive a PWC (Personal Watercraft) venture out far away from wherever you launch and go for a ride, don't buzz repeatedly around in small circles in the same area driving all of the locals crazy right off of their docks. The Columbia River is a great place for PWCs as they can jump the large barge and ship wake and the moving river has a way of spreading people out. With all of the room between the San Juan Islands, it would seem there is plenty of room to wakeboard. Don't do it close in the bays. Make sure you have adequate gasoline and a radio and knock yourself out. What gets me is the stupid windsurfers and kite surfers who buzz back and forth perpendicular to the shore, crossing and recrossing the river at very high speeds and they expect every other boater to anticipate and yield to them because they are "sailing" (though at 22 mph.) C.W.
Sarge

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Sea Badger
Photos: Gigi
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost me on a Ranger Tug doing 18-21 mph...seriously, can it do that speed?

I've looked at Trinity, my old slip mate, and thought how beautiful she was, but I didn't think I could handle the displacement speed with my 2 rugrats before I'd want to throw myself into the frigid water without a life vest. If a Ranger 25 tug can go 18 mph, the same as a CD25, then that's a whole 'nuther story!

2001 2150 Bayliner, sold
2007 CD25, sold
2007 Harbercraft Kingfisher 2850, sold
2011 Stabicraft 2250SC, sold
2011 Eastern 18cc

Blog: http://theseabadger.wordpress.com
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauley wrote:
Very Happy WoW alot of good information on this thread ,Thanks to everybody for your imput and humor Shocked . I think that it would be a doable like 20dauntless says , the right place ,the right time and the proper equipment . The R-25 with a 150 HP motor loaded up should do 18knots or 21mph on a glassy water . Hooking up a tow harness off of the top of the cabin would not be to hard ,mabe a lasso over the smoke stack would work. Sea Wolf your story about Bobby Bluesome was great , thats enuff to keep me from attempting it ,but my wife is the one who wants to do it tho . Im sure it will be done at some point in time it's just when that is yet to be decied . I will post the pictures . thanks ,Pauley Thumbs Up

When the Tit Whiners & Crybabys can show you their deed to the water that your Wife wishes to wakeboard on then & only then would I move else where Rolling Eyes Too many Whiney Old Farts on this planet!! (but then I used to Water Ski on opening day of fishing season in eastern Washington) Find a secluded bay & do what you please. Mr. Green Beer
Chester

City/Region: home
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name calling? Very good. A sure sign of someone of wisdom with sage advise to offer.
pauley

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wake boarding in the San Juans would not be as intense as boarding in the Amazon river with the Pirana or a ride with the sharks just west of Key West , but it would have its own sence of accomplishment to find that perfect glassy spot of crisp ,clear and very cold water in the PNW.The ride would probally last about ten or twelve minutes in a straight line and the boat would not create any more noise or wake than any other boat traveling at a speed of 21mph , well away from anyone elses privacy or pleasure. Im guessing that there would be two spotters and a captian with an expert wake board rider in tow .I would hope that the waters of this area are not to full of floating debri , that would not be good for the gel coat and could damage the boat or worse. Is this a big problem in the area ?The cummings folks have limited the RPM of the 150 HP motor to 4060 RPM , this should produce a speed of 22.1 knots with a fuel consumption of 8.6 gallons per hour. After the motor is properly broken in sustained opperation at full power should not harm the motor. What really makes the r-25 a good choice for this would be the nice large warm cabin to enjoy afterwards with good friends and a hot cup of coffey. Very Happy
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauley wrote:
Wake boarding in the San Juans would not be as intense as boarding in the Amazon river with the Pirana or a ride with the sharks just west of Key West , but it would have its own sence of accomplishment to find that perfect glassy spot of crisp ,clear and very cold water in the PNW.The ride would probally last about ten or twelve minutes in a straight line and the boat would not create any more noise or wake than any other boat traveling at a speed of 21mph , well away from anyone elses privacy or pleasure. Im guessing that there would be two spotters and a captian with an expert wake board rider in tow .I would hope that the waters of this area are not to full of floating debri , that would not be good for the gel coat and could damage the boat or worse. Is this a big problem in the area ?The cummings folks have limited the RPM of the 150 HP motor to 4060 RPM , this should produce a speed of 22.1 knots with a fuel consumption of 8.6 gallons per hour. After the motor is properly broken in sustained opperation at full power should not harm the motor. What really makes the r-25 a good choice for this would be the nice large warm cabin to enjoy afterwards with good friends and a hot cup of coffey. Very Happy

What model Cummins?
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pauley,

Well, this has certainly been an interesting topic. Wink Regarding the "filled with floating debris" question: I am certainly not an expert in Pacific Northwest boating, but our experience there has been that, yes, you will see floating debris on a daily basis (usually logs). To add to the fun, toss in current from the 20 foot tides, wind waves, wake from passing ferries... and some of those logs are in the troughs of waves... not easy to see. You really have to keep a vigilant eye out on the water ahead.

Living near Texas Hill Country, you are familiar with those tall things with the green stuff on top? Yeah, trees. Well, all those gorgeous islands (and the mainland) out in the PNW are covered with those things. It's not unusual to see a tug pulling a half mile of logs (I'm sure there's a name for that). Occasionally, a log gets away. And after a big rain, stuff comes down those beautiful mountains, washing into the water. It's not something that should scare away any careful mariner, but it IS something to be aware of (and watch out for).

When in the San Juans, every direction you look is full of islands, mountains, trees, rocks... truly breathtaking. And, justifiably, the people who live there are protective of that natural beauty. Perhaps the reason your wake board inquiry raised some eyebrows?

While you sound like a boater who cares, as a former sailor I can tell you that our experience with wake boarders was less than pleasant. Seems they enjoyed using our boats as a "waypoint" to run around. Often they would run close to the marina breakwater, rocking every boat in the place. It also seems that folks who actually live at the water's edge don't take kindly to having their property eroded away by unnecessary wake. Now, we all know that YOU would never be so inconsiderate, but such is the reputation that others have given that activity.

The Cummins engine in the R-25 sounds like just the "boost" that boat could use to live up to its performance potential. Physics being a reasonably predictable science, keep the boat light to see and maintain those numbers. We see a very real 3 knot difference in performance between a boat (CD-25) fully loaded for cruising and when we are home and just "day tripping."

After spending a few nights in your new boat, comfortable and secure at anchor, you may find that your opinion of folks who blast through an anchorage to be along the lines of many of the folks here. There are lots of different boats and uses out there... the "party barge" pontoon, the cigarette-type go-fast, elegant sailboats, husky work boats, runabouts pulling kids on tubes, ski boats, flat bottom bay skimmers, sport fishers, cabin cruisers, shrimpboats, jet boats, sailing cats doing the "wild thang", excursion boats, ferries... most of these are pretty purposefully designed. Oh sure, we've all seen someone camping out on an open bow runabout, but that's sure not the norm. Your tug going 20 knots will turn some heads. I know when we were in the San Juans, running at mid-teens, and a Nordic Tug blew by us, I was gawking. Shocked I've frequently said, "The right boat for the mission", but I also believe that you "run what you brung."

Pick up a cruising guide or two for the San Juans, and study up before you go to pick up your boat. That is absolutely one of our favorite cruising grounds. If you have time (and bring your passports), you can make it an "international" shakedown by running over to the Gulf Islands or into the captivating Victoria on Vancouver Island.

Exciting times ahead! Very Happy

Best wishes,
Jim B.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post as usual Jim. Good advice and points for Pauley and all of us to consider.

Know zip about wake boarding, jet skies and the like. Don't care for any loud noise producing machine toys, but they do have there place and following. Most of us here that have or are interested in the c-dory line of boats prefer the more quiet on the slow side style of cruising, but I sure don't see the need for the vehemenence directed toward what Pauley and wife is wanting to do in the manner he describes. Sure wouldn't be against it due to the possible dangers involved.

This is one of the many reason we like to do our cruising on land or water where the people are the fewest or absent completely. Always someone or group wanting others to follow there dictates. Some actually have good reasons like Jim suggested others just protecting there own interest. Of course all would feel they are in the first group.

An interesting discussion topic among the c-dory owners or plan to be owners would be "For what is the main use or planned use of your boat".

Jay

Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to the pressures which may be at play here. When I bought my first boat, for fishing, there was a lot of pressure brought to bear on me by the kids for me to take them and their friends out tubing (which turned out to be great fun). This was on lakes in Utah, so a totally different environment, but just trying to point out that not all of us are retired folks with the luxury of being able to select and outfit single-purpose boats.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
pauley

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD your post are always good to read they are well writen and informative ,keep up the great work. Shocked Idea Question Exclamation Very Happy

As for the many different kinds of boats there are I have been searching for the perfect boat that does it all for many years now , some day it will arrive . But for now it will need to be the R-25 is as close as its going to get for me, and yes there are "Exciting times ahead!" Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: