C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
I got this map with the book.

Warren

Well, I left my 3.0 reading glasses home today, and even with the llarger image, I cannot see the route - how big is the map? And is this the same book that has been referred to, does it have all the iinformation a person would want to cruise the Great Loop?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat- I 'see' Amazon listed the price in big red letters.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
charlesl

City/Region: Merritt Island
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Cruisng on a 23? Reply with quote

Hi Linda and Allen,
I posted this same question on another thread, but since you've been cruising in sunny and hot Florida, you may have a different view.
How are you managing without a shower and marine head in Florida?
Marinas every night?

We are moving down from a 34' sailboat and have anchored out a lot in Florida. We carry 80 gallons of water so are able to shower every night.

We're thinking about the 25' but the 23 or 22 would be a lot more affordable.
thanks for your inputs.
Charlie
Tad and Toby Jackson

City/Region: Merritt Island
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Comfy Dory
Photos: Comfy Dory
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Glad to see another Merritt Islander on the site. Hope you can find a C-Dory soon. We live on the Indian River across from Mile Marker 77. We have a 22' Cruiser that we purchased last summer from another Islander and have been using it quite a bit with our longest trip so far being this past May for 11 days. We first started using a Solar Shower bag, but found a great item before our May trip. It is a Zodi Hot Water shower system. You can see it in our album from that trip. It uses a 1 lb. propane tank for heating the water. We've learned to use 5 gallons of water for both of us to shower and that is plenty. We set the unit on the bait tray / cocktail table and when the water is hot, we stand on the swim deck to shower. Keeps the cockpit dry and since we usually overnight on the hook, far from the Madding Crowd, privacy is usually not a problem. Porta Potties are still the easiest way for waste disposal on the 22'. We empty it about every 2-3 days when we stop for fuel and provisions.

Tad
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pat & Patty! I will increase the font...in case the glasses are not handy for you.. Mr. Green

One of the more recent books is Great Loop Side Trips or something to that effect. It is on my boat. Go to the (AGLCA) American Great Loop Cruiser's Association (greatloop.com) web site and there are links there. Or...if there is some membership loop hole let me know Pat and I will get one coming your way.

The maps are about like a wall poster size, and coated as to allow markers, clean up...and more markers..

We are having a "Rendezvous" in Rogersville, AL, Joe Wheeler State Park & Resort 20-23Oct08. Yall come on down. It should be a blast..and if you are in the area a bit before, Green Turtle Bay has a neet weekend planed 11-13Oct.

I plan to make both events...they are fun, and great "cruising folks"...not folks that just own boats and hang out at the marinas...

Hope to see some of my C-Brat family there.

Byrdman

We,

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Byrdman that Joe Wheeler State Park brings back fond memories to me it's a beautiful place. I lived just down the road at Lucy's Branch in 93 and 94. Joe Wheeler use to have a really good seafood buffet friday nights. Enjoy yourself
Simplicity

City/Region: Chipley
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Simplicity
Photos: Simplicity
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we might see some of you guys at one of these. IS the Green Turtle Bay a C-dory or great loop get together?

RE: Update ....We are still in the north channel, but will be easing our way towards Drummond Island the end of this week. Sad

We will be meeting up with my sister on Lake Michigan on the Wisconsin side then cross over and see Al's side of the family on the Michigan Side. Whew!

Then we begin our journey south.

To answer the anchoring question and hygiene. We have two solar showers and a porti potty. If ALan starts to stink too much I throw him overboard. Wink

It really hasn't been bad, but you both have to be on the same wave length as far as what you can bring on the boat. It is AMAZING how little you REALLY need. We have been on this boat for 3 and 1/2 months and you know I can honestly say there is nothing I have missed except my mom and my kids.

We have listened to alot of NPR or CBC radio, the ipod with my favorite downloads and once in awhile I download a movie from Itunes to my laptop and we watch that. The only thing is there is no popcorn Sad

We like both the Cape cruiser 23 and the C-Dory 22. I don't think you can go wrong on either one.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin: Cool....I really look forward to those events...and yes, I too have truly hurt myself at those buffet's at the park. Great times...great food too!

Simplicity: I think Sherryl and I are going up to the Green Turtle gig that weekend on ALOYSIUS. That is a nice 4 day weekend for her and our really last "fall weekend" that is free for us to enjoy ourselves together. It is advertised by Green Turtle on either their site and/or on the AGLCA's site... I can not recall sitting here now where I saw it first. I think there will be loopers there for sure...but, as you know...most in larger boats. The AGLCA Fall gig IS...at Joe Wheeler State Park & Resort. I am not sure if I will take a boat down or not with all that is going on around that time frame, but, I will be there for sure. Just too much fun...and too many great folks.... Just like a C-Brat gig...other than most have larger boats...but...the trend now as you know is smaller is better...particuarly for those that truly want to see the Great Loop Side Trips...or secondary waters and rivers. Just doing the "main loop" is sort of like just seeing America on the interstate....a great trip...but ya really need to get off the interstate and see some of the "back roads/waters/rivers" to really get the real deal.

Would love to hear of the things that "earned" their way off your boat during this trip. I can recall talking with Bill and El a bit on one of our river trips....and when one thing comes on the boat....something has to go off...sooner or later...

Do keep us posted on your travels...and safe travels on the big lakes.

Byrdman
Simplicity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back in the USA!
We left Meldrum Bay Onario 8/9 after two days of bad weather. We arrived at the customs dock in Drummond early and just sat there and waited for the agent to arrive. Very friendly guy and loved our boat. We left Drummond for Detour village where we stayed for 2 nights due to major storm.
One of the sail-boaters had clocked the wind gust at 48MPH. ALan got a really cool picture of a water spout over Lake Huron which I have posted on our pictures.
Finally we left Detour around 7am and headed for a day of cruising. We first stopped at Cedarville and had breakfast then went through the Great Lake Boat Building School which was really interesting. We shoved off from the public dock and headed for Hessel and had lunch there and checked out the wooden boats that were around there. Hessel held a antique wooden boat show this past weekend , but we were unable to attend due to the bad weather. After Hessel we then set our course for St. Ignace where we are docking for a couple of nights and take the ferry over to Mackinaw Island.

This was one of the best cruising days we have had in a few weeks and I loved it! CoolSmile
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda and Alan,

Well I just received a first hard report from my cousin who saw you in the Spanish, Ont. harbor. He took a couple of pictures of your boat as he cruised by in his inflatable dingy to prove to me that he actually came across a C-Dory during his cruise of the North Channel. I am not sure where you are or where you are headed but I will be in Ludington, moored at the Harbor View Marina, August 17-20. If you are in the Traverse Bay area there are lots of nice ports of call and one of the best is Northport. I was there the weekend before last and in the harbor came across a C-Dory, named Kestrel. I hope all is going well and the seas are calm.

Best regards,
Rollie/C-Batical

Simplicity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rollie,
We did visit Northport and the marina staff was very friendly. We left there early yesterday morning trying to make our way south. We made it to Frankfort, but the weather is not cooperating for us to move out until possibly Wednesday. I heard today from some fisherman that the waves were 5-6ft on the Lake today. We walked down to the jetty to see , but the winds were shifting to the North now as the cold front is pushing through. We are headed to Ludington next, because we are going to take the Badger ferry over to Manitowac Wi to visit my sister. After that we are headed for South HAve for several days to visit Alan's family near there.

I guess you never know who is watching you huh?

We have really enjoyed Lake Michigan as we did the NOrth Channel.

Linda and ALan CoolSmile
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Linda and Alan,

I am sorry we missed you in Ludington. My wife and I spent four days at the Harbor View Marina while we had a family reunion. Ludington is my dad's home town and is still full of relatives. I used to spend the summers there when I was younger (lots of years ago). We saw your boat at the Municipal Marina and left you a note. Simplicity is a great looking craft. You will have a nice trip heading south down the coast line. Great towns/harbors and places to visit and eat.

Take care and have a safe trip.

Best regards,
Rollie & Marlene/C-Batical
Simplicity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Batical
We got your note when we returned from our Wisconsin trip on the Badger. It was a great trip and we have enjoyed our time on Lake Michigan. We are currently on the Illinois River heading to the Mississippi then the Tennessee. Chicago was great and cruising through the city was awesome especially for a country girl. Will post some pictures of our adventure.

Thanks for trying to catch up to us and who knows maybe we will meet some day.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: cc-23 Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to meeting a fellow floridian cc-23 owner . We will be up in appallachicola Gathering in Oct. WE will have the blue 06 venture 23 take care Jim and Loree on Jennykatz(Duck)
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you rate the book? If a person were going to get one guide to cruising the Great Circle, which one would it be?

Doryman wrote:
I got this map with the book.

Warren
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: