View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: "Shockles" for anchoring? Reply with quote

A while ago I learned of an interesting new product called Shockles. Today I had the bright idea that I could attach a Force 3 Shockle to the bow eye permanently and on the other end have two lines coming off the carabiner: (a) a "tether" to make sure the Shockle doesn't drop down and hang from the bow eye, making it hard to retrieve; and (b) a line which would be attached to the anchor rode with a running hitch.

The idea is I would pull in some rode, pull up the Shockle, use the other line on the Shockle to tie onto the rode, and then tie that line off on a cleat.

The objective is to be able to attach a snubber to the anchor while standing up in the berth hatch.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think that it would be necessary if using a long length of three strand nylon rode, which has a great deal of elasticity, which will absorb the shock generated in a rough, unprotected anchorage. Perhaps in a situation like a crowded anchorage which would preclude the use of a lot of anchor line, it might be handy.

Actually, when I have used all-chain rode, I would use a length 3/8", three strand nylon as you suggested the use of this new product and it handled shock quite well.

But then again, we won't know how something new will work until it is tried.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valkyrie wrote:
I don't think that it would be necessary if using a long length of three strand nylon rode, which has a great deal of elasticity, which will absorb the shock generated in a rough, unprotected anchorage.

I suspect the key word above is "long". Maybe the big advantage of the Shockle is that it allows you to use a shorter snubber.

Warren
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

When I mentioned "long, three strand rode", I was not talking about using nylon line as a snubber, but the fact that the anchor line itself has a great deal of elasticity. I would only use nylon line as a snubber on all-chain rode.

Regards,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: shockles Reply with quote

We have used two shockles on our y type mooring pennet for 5 or more years.
The shockles takes the chafe and wear and tear and the mooring pennet lines simply hang with a foot of slack and no chafe, care free and happy ready to save the boat in the worse case scenerio. Shockles have a cordura cover over the elastic portion and ours simply haven't shown any wear since we have used them. Since we tie off on two cleats on the bow the risk of chafing is real, if you are depending on the bow eye, chafe will be less of a risk but all your apples are in one basket.
Our moorage is 99% calm and quiet but its always best to plan for the painful !%

If your on a mooring I would us the shockle, and double your lines.
Best
Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: