The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/27 - 08-29 - Langley Cruise and Clam Dig
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an (almost) perfect day. Joe and I took the boat out of Lake Washington and trailered it up to the great ramp in Everett. We put out two crab pots by the green bouy and motored across the smooth water to Langley where we were helped into our slip by Fred. He advised us where to get breakfast so we walked up the hill and had sausage and eggs at Mikes. Excellent. Then back to the pier to watch C-Dorys returning from clamming. After some very pleasant smoozing with Joe and Ruth and everybody else we headed back to pick up the pots. There were six huge male Dungeness crabs waiting for us. Lo and behold we found we had left our licenses at home. When we got back to Everett the ramp was crawling with guys and gals in green uniforms with clipboards and stuff hanging from their belts. We examined our options, which included going back to Langley and smuggling the crabs ashore. Another glance at the green uniforms and I threw the crabs over the side. Joe and I decided that this trip will live on in Miss Mirth memorobelia (sp). It was really nice to see everyone. Thanks for organizing such a fine outing. We hope to see you all again at Sequim.

"...we're all in the same boat..."

Last edited by dotnmarty on Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:45 am; edited 2 times in total
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

We had a great time Exclamation Great food Exclamation and companionship Exclamation So wonderful to see so many familiar faces and meet several other CD owners. Nice to be able to place a face with a name when we see it on the C-Brats site Very Happy If we didn't have to go to work tomorrow we'd be getting ready right now for another adventure with the R-Matey even if it meant going back to Langley and having Ben move us around from one dock to the other......(well, not really but wasn't that an interesting experience).

This morning when we arrived back at Everett we met Tom who is looking for a used CD. He even made an attempt to look at the Pegasus but found out it'd been sold and is now at Dagmar's. He had to work so couldn't make it to Langley on Saturday but was going to head over there today hoping that someone might still be hanging around (no choice if Ben stuck you back in behind one of those sailboats when you weren't looking).

Wishing everyone a great week.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Susan did indeed show up Sunday, got a good look at the three boats left (Daydream, Sensei, and the brand new gray 22' cruiser with no name), but unfortunately timing was not right to offer them a ride...Maybe they will be able to hook up with somebody for a "test drive" - they live in Marysville I think, and will be monitoring this site...

R-Matey wrote:
Hi everyone,

This morning when we arrived back at Everett we met Tom who is looking for a used CD. He even made an attempt to look at the Pegasus but found out it'd been sold and is now at Dagmar's. He had to work so couldn't make it to Langley on Saturday but was going to head over there today hoping that someone might still be hanging around (no choice if Ben stuck you back in behind one of those sailboats when you weren't looking).

Wishing everyone a great week.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see some pics! Photo Rainbow Star Star Teeth

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll get some pix up tonight - I have over 100...

Mr. Fisherman wrote:
Lets see some pics! Photo Rainbow Star Star Teeth
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course first we need an ALBUM!!!!
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super, Pat. Just remember to leave out the really unflattering ones. You know, those that expose my generous white tummy, show a smiling Cat with clams and greenery stuck to his teeth, or a guy zonked out, sleeping off the Copperhead.

Folks, that was great big fun, and you people are a real joy to spend time with. See you at Sequim.
Cat
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Of course first we need an ALBUM!!!!

Here you go...

Mr. Fisherman

C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noe of these days Broch, one of these days....

With the bottom fish closure I might just have time to make a C-Dory gathering to show off Sea Lions new jewlery....
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This gathering ranked up there with my favorites...what a blast.

This was the first trip with First Mate Koko. Weimaraner #2 is definitely a boat dog. Loves to cruise, and she enjoyed all of your company as much as I did. While this wasn't earth-shattering news to me (I was 99% sure she would like it), I did learn one new thing about her - based on the timing of her tossing her toy out the window into the drink, she doesn't seem to care for the Dixie Chicks... Smile

Also, Brock is on to something with his slow and steady cruising. I know I've ribbed him along with the rest of you, but he's converted me. No more will I be up front charging at 16-20 knots. I like the slow pace - after driving close to 900 miles each way for these gigs, I want to relax and enjoy the scenery. Brock, good buddy - you've shown me the wisdom and pleasure of cruising at 11-12 knots. I'll hang out back with you any time, ol' pal.

Another first - Brock led me through the locks for the first time. We made the long trek from the south end of Lake Washington, and had a beautiful cruise both coming and going.

On the way out, my initiation to the locks couldn't have been easier; we arrived to a green light and pulled immediately in to the large lock, where I side-tied to a very helpful fisherman. Tons of room, no waiting or jockeying for position. We were through in about 15 minutes.

On the way back, things were a little dicier, but it was a great education. We arrived with a few boats ahead of us, and red lights. Brock informed me of the nuances of holding your position, as certain lesser behaved boaters have been known to take cuts, leaving you with a nice wait when you miss your spot. I did my best to keep Da Nag strategically wedged sideways in line, which helped keep all but one sneaky guy from getting by us. When the green light came on, it was for the small lock - this time, it was no cake walk. I was instructed to tie up next to a trimaran, and once the fenders were out on both sides, there were inches to spare. Basically, I planted the boat next to the wall behind the trimaran, grabbed the wall, and "walked" the boat up.

My advice on the locks for other newbies - get comfortable manuevering very slowly in tight places. Have fenders out on both sides - the big orbs I use are great in the locks. Have your lines out and ready - one on each stern cleat, and two down each side from the bow cleat. Most importantly - just be calm, and listen to the lock employees barking orders up on top. They've seen it all, and will tell you exactly what to do. And don't be shy about asking questions, or telling the folks around you it's your first time - they'll probably be glad to help.

After that little adventure, we continued back to the south end of Lake Washington, where I was in for yet another surprise - a swim! Dang, if Brock didn't have another trick up his sleeve - he led us into a relatively shallow cove, where we took a dip surrounded by a bunch of others enjoying an incredibly warm and sunny day.

Looking forward to seeing you all again at Sequim! And with the ever elusive Dana in tow...
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cats! Is that all the faster we were going? Being GPS and speed-o-meter challenged, I thought all these years I was going 14 MPH. Man, have I been lying to a lot of people. Fred, David, Roger and DaveS., from now on I'm up there with you guys, and let's leave those slow-pokey dudes in our froth.

Hey, just let me say this about our favorite nerd. The guy rocks, okay? Lock rock. Was he worried, did he shake like a Chihuahua, shiver like a Texan in Seattle? Not our dude Da Nerd. He'd never even been through the locks before, and he did it for the first time alone. In a brand new boat. With no scratches. I have to say he handled himself calmly and like a seasoned pro. You gotta figure he didn't really know what to expect. Okay, he didn't fly solo around the world, but I was really proud of him, because he was challenged. Our return lock through had his fenders squished and straining against that trimaran like Dolly Pardon readying for the Grammy's. (Pardon me).
Nice job, Bill. You were impressive.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman wrote:
Holy cats! Our return lock through had his fenders squished and straining against that trimaran like Dolly Pardon readying for the Grammy's.

Thanks Brock for the above "picture" you painted in my mind. Now whenever I see Bill's big round red fenders, I'll be picturing Dolly instead! Disgust

Even though we were only able to spend a few hours at Langley on Saturday, it was sure good to see you folks again and meet some new C-Brats. Just after we departed we saw Steve cruising in to Langley on his new 22' that he had just taken possession of at EQ Marine.

"Sea Shift" had a great time too as she got to "nest" next to "DaNag". (They had spent so many quality hours together at EQ while they were being outfitted with their "jewelry" earlier this year. I'm guessing they even whispered a few stories of their adventures since they were last together). Rolling Eyes Additionally "Sea Shift" got to "squeeze in" next to Capt. Dusty's fine vessel.

C-Brat #16
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as always, the Daydream crew had a fine time at Langley! I just hope we are not banned there...we made a rather awkward exit - I will let Patty tell you if she feels like it some time. I have just uploaded about 100+ pix - go label them!
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
I just hope we are not banned there...

Not always a bad thing, Pat. Sometimes a public banning can enable a person to meet the best friends he's ever known in his life.

I sure am wishing we could have slipped up there for this one. Langley was our first cruise as a C-Brat, and I still have Lisbeth's sticker to show for it!

It's great to hear the stories and see the pictures, though!

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Well, as always, the Daydream crew had a fine time at Langley! I just hope we are not banned there...we made a rather awkward exit - I will let Patty tell you if she feels like it some time.

Patty, I don't know what happened as I was not there during your exit, but I've got to tell you....in my opinion that is a very tricky marina. I've found the tidal currents in there to be hard to "read" as they are so subtle. Of course it never helps when we are docked within inches of each other and 36' sailboats and power boats are packed in there amongst us like sardines! It never ceases to amaze me how Harbormaster Ben is able to pack so many vessels in there. I'm certain that if he were ever to leave that job, the income generated by that marina would plummet by 60%.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: